The Cinema Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:06 pm
No Napoleon fans here?
Never got around to watching it.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:19 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:06 pm
No Napoleon fans here?
Never got around to watching it.

My son was 10 or 12 when it came out. I've seen it almost as many times as Oh Brother and The Big Lebowski combined.

Definitely worth watching.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

War Dogs (2016 film)

:thumbup: Semi-true scathing condemnation of Pentagon procurement.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:14 pm
War Dogs (2016 film)

:thumbup: Semi-true scathing condemnation of Pentagon procurement.

I'm waiting for your Napoleon review.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:33 am
I don' subscribe to any of the services or premium channels, so I'm waiting for it to appear on cable. I won't pass it up.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:07 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
I don' subscribe to any of the services or premium channels, so I'm waiting for it to appear on cable. I won't pass it up.

Not so sure about commercial interruptions.

Can't you get a 7 day free trial? Just don't forget to cancel.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Begin Again (2013)

:thumbup: Sweet.
... (Keira) Knightley, who had never sung professionally before, prepared for the role by training with a vocal coach and learning how to play a guitar. Mark Ruffalo was Carney's first choice for the role of Dan, and agreed to star in the film after Carney sent him the first draft of the screenplay. Singer Adam Levine was also the only person Carney considered casting as Dave, and won the role after talking with Carney over Skype and recording some dialogue as an audition; he declined to be paid for appearing in the film. Although he had had minor acting parts on television before, Begin Again marked his first role in a film. Carney approached James Corden to appear in the film after admiring Corden's performance in the lead role in a Broadway production of One Man, Two Guvnors....
They do really well. Amazing job by formerly non-musical Knightley.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sunshine Cleaning

:thumbup: Nothing earth-shaking, but it's not possible to make a bad movie starring Amy Adams, Emily Blunt, and Alan Arkin.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

How do you watch so many movies - rent by mail from Blockbuster?

And then there was one

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/07/las ... a-closing/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:13 am
How do you watch so many movies - rent by mail from Blockbuster?
Nah, I don't pay. Most of them are older, many were never big hits, and I do get FX, FXM, USA, TNT, TBS, AMC, A&E, SYFY, MTV, IFC, TCM, HDNTM, AXSTV and other nonpremium stations that sometimes show decent films, 3 or 4 of them without ads. There's also tons of crap and endless repeats. Otherwise, I could watch a movie every day if I felt like it.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
I don't subscribe to any of the services or premium channels, so I'm waiting for it to appear on cable. I won't pass it up.
That didn't take long. Not my flavor of humor, thanks anyway. I agree with this:
But that's just one sentence amidst a longer discussion of positive reviews. Roger and Me ( ;) ) are in the minority. Also weird that high school students Napoleon and Pedro were 27 and 31 irl. Otoh, I would never have guessed that Rico was as old as 47 at the time.
The term "The Napoleon Dynamite Problem" has been used to describe the phenomenon where "quirky" films such as Napoleon Dynamite, Lost in Translation and I Heart Huckabees prove difficult for researchers to create algorithms that are able to predict whether or not a particular viewer will like the film based on their ratings of previously viewed films. Despite a very limited initial release, Napoleon Dynamite was a commercial success. It was filmed on an estimated budget of a mere $400,000, and less than a year after its release, it had grossed $44,940,956. It also spawned a slew of merchandise, from refrigerator magnets to T-shirts to Halloween costumes.
Wow. 100:1 return, must have been nice to be an ND investor.
Last edited by Vrede too on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:07 am
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
I don't subscribe to any of the services or premium channels, so I'm waiting for it to appear on cable. I won't pass it up.
That didn't take long. Not my flavor of humor, thanks anyway. I agree with this:
But that's just one sentence amidst a longer discussion of positive reviews. Roger and Me ( ;) ) are in the minority. Also weird that high school students Napoleon and Pedro were 27 and 31 irl. Otoh, I would never have guessed that Rico was as old as 47 at the time.
The term "The Napoleon Dynamite Problem" has been used to describe the phenomenon where "quirky" films such as Napoleon Dynamite, Lost in Translation and I Heart Huckabees prove difficult for researchers to create algorithms that are able to predict whether or not a particular viewer will like the film based on their ratings of previously viewed films. Despite a very limited initial release, Napoleon Dynamite was a commercial success. It was filmed on an estimated budget of a mere $400,000, and less than a year after its release, it had grossed $44,940,956. It also spawned a slew of merchandise, from refrigerator magnets to T-shirts to Halloween costumes.
Wow. 100:1 return, must have been nice to be an ND invvestor.
Oh well. Could be watching it with my 12 year old created a depth that not everyone sees.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

The other day I was reminded of the scene in "Taxi Driver" where Travis / De Niro has gotten his Mohawk haircut and is confronting Sport (Jodie Foster's pimp) and Sport tells Travis to "go back to your tribe' and flips his lit cugarette butt in Travis' chest and Travis promptly shoots Sport in the stomach. It made me think trump maybe never saw the movie or he would have a different take on the cult chanting "send her back." And even though Travis was not a real Indian, Sport got his racist message across; and got shot for it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Wanna get mad all over again?
Fair Game (2010 film)

Fair Game is a 2010 biographical political drama film directed by Doug Liman and starring Naomi Watts and Sean Penn. It is based on Valerie Plame's memoir, Fair Game, and Joseph C. Wilson's memoir, The Politics of Truth....
Well made and acted, and very informative.

One of America's greatest tragedies is how often the publicly known truth makes so little difference.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

If it's Shark Week on TV, it must also be Naomi Watts Week.
The Impossible (2012 film)

The Impossible (Spanish: Lo Imposible) is a 2012 English-language Spanish disaster drama film directed by J. A. Bayona and written by Sergio G. Sánchez. It is based on the experience of María Belón and her family in the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. The cast includes Naomi Watts, Ewan McGregor and Tom Holland.

The film received positive reviews from critics for its direction and its acting, especially for Watts who was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress, the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Drama, and a Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role.
Incredible, mostly true story. I worried that it might be too maudlin, but it stays taut throughout. List of accolades received by The Impossible is its own Wiki page - 67 nominations, 24 awards.
... The tsunami was recreated with a mixture of digital effects and real water surges filmed in slow motion created in a water tank in Spain using miniatures that were destroyed by a huge wave. Bayona committed to working with real water rather than a computer-generated wave because he wanted the story to be authentic. This meant Watts and Holland spent five weeks filming physically and psychologically demanding scenes in a massive water tank. Holland, aged 14 at the time of filming, later described it as a "scary environment ...You can imagine how tiring and brutal that was." ...
Holland is amazing. Now 23, he's having a great career:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Holland_(actor)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:01 am
If it's Shark Week on TV, it must also be Naomi Watts Week....
:lol: She's on Fallon tonight.
1312. ETTD.

Olaf44

Unread post by Olaf44 »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:25 am
rstrong wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:19 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:17 pm
rstrong wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:44 am
...A week later after Fargo is devastated, it heads for Winnipeg...
Rest of the world doesn't notice. :P
Traffic is tied up around my office because a major route a couple blocks away is shut down for filming all this week. Forest Whitaker and Theo James are in town filming "How it Ends" for Netflix. "A desperate father tries to return home to his pregnant wife after a mysterious apocalyptic event turns everything to chaos."

Earlier this summer another major route was shut down to film "Break My Heart 1000 Times." "Set nine years after an apocalyptic event that killed millions and left the world inhabited by ghosts."

Winnipeg used to be the standard location for filming anything set in Chicago. Including three movies in one summer alone, a decade or so ago. Now we're the go-to location for post-apocalyptic events. And to think that I once had a hell of a time trying to convince the Emergency Measures Organization that Winnipeg was like this when I got here.

Winnipeg... when civilization falls apart, remember, we were way ahead of you.
Portions of the woody harrelson zombie movie were filmed in Newman Georgia outside my sister's home. Burning cars and bodies outside her front windows.
I always get super excited about filming locations. In fact, whenever I visit tourist places I always try to ask locals whether any film has been shot there or not :D It just somehow makes me more curious about the film because most of the films are obviously shot in studios so when a film is actually shot on a real location, I get more interested in it because I think, a lot of people must have seen (or been affected by) the filming.
By the way, I really did not like much How it Ends. The suspense angle was good but still in my opinion it could have been better.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Olaf44 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:47 am
I always get super excited about filming locations. In fact, whenever I visit tourist places I always try to ask locals whether any film has been shot there or not :D It just somehow makes me more curious about the film because most of the films are obviously shot in studios so when a film is actually shot on a real location, I get more interested in it because I think, a lot of people must have seen (or been affected by) the filming.
By the way, I really did not like much How it Ends. The suspense angle was good but still in my opinion it could have been better.
Welcome aboard :thumbup: . . . unless it's 1 post and done :( .

Movie Bloopers That Were Too Good To Cut

Cool.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is a 2002 biographical spy comedy film depicting the fictional life of popular game show host and producer Chuck Barris, who claimed to have also been an assassin for the CIA. The film was George Clooney's directorial debut, was written by Charlie Kaufman, and starred Sam Rockwell, Julia Roberts, Drew Barrymore, and Clooney....
:thumbup: Well made, well acted . . . and kinda disturbing.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:37 am
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is a 2002 biographical spy comedy film depicting the fictional life of popular game show host and producer Chuck Barris, who claimed to have also been an assassin for the CIA. The film was George Clooney's directorial debut, was written by Charlie Kaufman, and starred Sam Rockwell, Julia Roberts, Drew Barrymore, and Clooney....
:thumbup: Well made, well acted . . . and kinda disturbing.
As were most of his creations.