Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:56 pm
The show is going to have to do something about that. Take politics out, the guy is awful. The clumsy Bobby Bones won last season and there was enough uproar the show actually sat out for about a year before resuming, and then supposedly made changes in the scoring. But it's not like the show publishes the actual viewer voting numbers. Just dump him already.
I've always wondered if any show's audience tallies are accurate. Why wouldn't they fudge in whatever way they think is best for ratings? Now, Spicer either proves that the tallies are legit, or that they're fake exactly because he generates adoration and hatred. Who knows? It's one reason that I quit voting, though I am sometimes still a fan of competition shows (not DWTS this year).

Assuming that Spicer is a rotten dancer, enough so that he knows it compared to the others, it's emblematic of his total lack of character that he's playing along.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:10 pm

I've always wondered if any show's audience tallies are accurate. Why wouldn't they fudge in whatever way they think is best for ratings? Now, Spicer either proves that the tallies are legit, or that they're fake exactly because he generates adoration and hatred.
Yeah, I hadn't thought that they might be padding his count just to keep the controversy going, or to get people to tune in just to see if ol' Sean gets dumped this week. WWF has thrived on that for decades, and all the other "reality" shows always have a villain-type person who frequently seem to stay around longer than s/he should. So it does make some sense that they might be keeping him as the villain. But IMNVHO that only works for a short time, and in the short-term. If enough people see the villain as being such a miserable piece of shit - or the "voting" so ridiculously rigged - that they no longer enjoy the show, then the producers have stepped on their own dicks.

O Really
Admiral

Acting, at least at the level necessary to get a job on a top TV show or film isn't that easy, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that most of them are well above average intelligence. It's certainly easy to find many examples of really smart actors.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:55 pm
Well, by way of example, over on LNF the poster known as Jasmine dropped out of college after two years. She has since made a career out of selling trinkets in a Honolulu "Boutique"... Sad.
Is she a rightwing ditz?

I'm reminded of my first nursing school, an LPN (LVN in CA) program because I didn't know If I would like nursing (later got my BSN - RN). The class was all women, some recently divorced, some fairly fresh out of high school. Some were smart enough for college, but various thing put them in vocational school - money, motivation, circumstance, etc. Then there was me, a 30 year old male activist looking for a more practical and intimate expression of his activism, and the eventual option for international work.

Anyhow, your "selling trinkets" reminded me of one of our students, an older, kinda mean ditz that we knew early on wouldn't make it. At some point she transferred to fashion marketing. Henceforth, that became our collective mantra whenever things got rough, "Well, there's always fashion marketing."
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:38 pm
Yeah, I hadn't thought that they might be padding his count just to keep the controversy going, or to get people to tune in just to see if ol' Sean gets dumped this week. WWF has thrived on that for decades, and all the other "reality" shows always have a villain-type person who frequently seem to stay around longer than s/he should. So it does make some sense that they might be keeping him as the villain. But IMNVHO that only works for a short time, and in the short-term. If enough people see the villain as being such a miserable piece of shit - or the "voting" so ridiculously rigged - that they no longer enjoy the show, then the producers have stepped on their own dicks.
You called it, Spicer was dumped 6 days later.

I'm not watching this year, are you as outraged by James Van Der Beek's elimination last night as others are?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:58 am

I'm not watching this year, are you as outraged by James Van Der Beek's elimination last night as others are?
Not really. He was good, but once they got rid of Sean, everybody pretty much deserves to be there. I might have booted Hannah because I'm a bit tired of her beauty queen high maintenance, but she is a very good dancer. Or maybe I'd have booted Lauren because she seems to be maybe a half-step from the others. But at this point, there shouldn't be any elimination considered a shaft.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:11 pm
Not really. He was good, but once they got rid of Sean, everybody pretty much deserves to be there. I might have booted Hannah because I'm a bit tired of her beauty queen high maintenance, but she is a very good dancer. Or maybe I'd have booted Lauren because she seems to be maybe a half-step from the others. But at this point, there shouldn't be any elimination considered a shaft.
Assuming the vote tallies are legit, America apparently disagreed with you, Carrie Ann Inaba and the live audience about the University of Alabama magna cum laude, Miss Alabama, interior designer and Bachelorette.

Carrie Ann Inaba: Hannah Brown’s ‘DWTS’ Win Is ‘Not What I Expected’

Hey billy.pilgrim, has Auburn had any Miss Alabamas, Bachelorettes/Bachelors or DWTS winners? :P
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well, yeah, but neither Carrie Ann nor I would have tossed her for her performance - just her high maintenance baggage. Anyway, I'm fine with her win. Also with Lauren being fourth. The other two could have been a tossup. At least there was no "Bobby Bones" winner.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Funny. Highlight of the show.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:53 am
3 Black QBs beat Tom Brady. :lol: :thumbup:

Thanks.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:17 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:53 am
3 Black QBs beat Tom Brady. :lol: :thumbup:

Thanks.
:mrgreen:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Jeopardy Greatest of All Time, living up to the hype!!!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:12 pm
I didn't watch, but out of my ignorance would have guessed the ultimate winner correctly.

'Jeopardy! GOAT': James Holzhauer and Ken Jennings battle it out down to the final clue

Who were you rooting for?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:28 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
I didn't watch, but out of my ignorance would have guessed the ultimate winner correctly.

'Jeopardy! GOAT': James Holzhauer and Ken Jennings battle it out down to the final clue

Rooting for a great match, which it was.
Everyone had to play Holzhauer's game and was evenly matched between him and Jennings.

It really came down to hitting the daily doubles, going all in and getting the answers right. Whoever did that and went all in on final jeopardy was usually the winner. It was fun to watch.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

“I was wrong. I wouldn’t bring him on my NFL team. He’s got problems,” Smith said on Tuesday’s episode of “First Take” on ESPN. “And I want to let everybody know, you do understand, if you listened to that video — not just watched it — the police officers showed incredible restraint. He was calling them the ‘B’ word. He was calling them the ‘N’ word. He was yelling at them. They turned their backs. They walked away. All they did was take the young lady and the kids into the cop car, and they drove them off. They did not respond to him. They did not antagonize him. They did nothing. He was screaming at them and calling them all kinds of names. “I want everyone out there to understand that the police officers at any given moment could have turned around and arrested him. You don’t get to talk to police officers like that. You don’t get to berate them and think that that’s not a crime. You can actually get arrested for that. They could have arrested him. They did no such thing. They all walked away, they got into their cop cars and they drove off. And he was screaming all kinds of obscenities at them. He seemed completely out of control.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:50 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:28 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:

Rooting for a great match, which it was.
Everyone had to play Holzhauer's game and was evenly matched between him and Jennings.

It really came down to hitting the daily doubles, going all in and getting the answers right. Whoever did that and went all in on final jeopardy was usually the winner. It was fun to watch.
I think the daily doubles should be done away with; they only skew the scoring and are just blind luck, not related to knowledge. It's the kind of thing that taken to its most extreme results in someone like trump becoming president. I understand the idea that they serve to lend a hand to a contestant who may not be well versed in some particular category in order to help them........well, this just leads back to my main point of how someone like trump can become president.

O Really
Admiral

James re-wrote the book on daily doubles and how to use them. Most players took a conservative approach, betting only what they deemed themselves willing to lose and doing "true daily double" only when desperate. James had studied the statistics that showed contestants got the DD right about 70% of the time. So he figured pretty good odds for a good player such as himself and he went "all in" most of the time. Sure, some luck in getting the DD, but then there are other places in the game where luck helps too.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:18 pm
I think the daily doubles should be done away with; they only skew the scoring and are just blind luck, not related to knowledge. It's the kind of thing that taken to its most extreme results in someone like trump becoming president. I understand the idea that they serve to lend a hand to a contestant who may not be well versed in some particular category in order to help them........well, this just leads back to my main point of how someone like trump can become president.
I don't mind them. They add wagering strategy to the game, in general as O Really says and also specific to one's confidence in the category.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:41 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:18 pm
I don't mind them. They add wagering strategy to the game, in general as O Really says and also specific to one's confidence in the category.
That is another way to look at it but I am sticking with mine, hominy.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:35 pm
James re-wrote the book on daily doubles and how to use them. Most players took a conservative approach, betting only what they deemed themselves willing to lose and doing "true daily double" only when desperate. James had studied the statistics that showed contestants got the DD right about 70% of the time. So he figured pretty good odds for a good player such as himself and he went "all in" most of the time. Sure, some luck in getting the DD, but then there are other places in the game where luck helps too.
I like the daily doubles, they add drama and twists and a guy like James certainly earned them by being faster and correct more often.