Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:Also for the sake of not making a game ugly. If taking a stand against redneck xenophobes is "political correctness", what's wrong with political correctness?

Isn't is political correctness to not do the right thing because "there was going to be a huge backlash over this"?
If you can do the right thing and appease everyone, why not do it? Why does one group have to be antagonized at the expense of another? Yeah, you've got your xenophobe rednecks taunting and being dicks. But you've also got normal people that will see this as being antagonistic towards them. So, why not just ban all flags and appease everyone? Problem solved, no? Ban all flags and issue a statement about how rednecks were using the American flag to taunt others, so it was decided to that a ban on all flags will be instituted to prevent any flag from being used antagonistically in the future.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

We still don't know that there isn't a ban on all flags, we just know who brought them and got stopped. I'll bet the Berea Hispanic parents and fans know better than to stupidly antagonize.

Whatever, are you going to write the district with your views?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:We still don't know that there isn't a ban on all flags, we just know who brought them and got stopped. I'll bet the Berea Hispanic parents and fans know better than to stupidly antagonize.

Whatever, are you going to write the district with your views?
No. Because the principal already rescinded his decision.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

I'm cautiously ok with judging the little teenage shits on their behavior, and not simply assuming that the US flag should be banned. But I'm more ok with simply banning all flags and anything else than can be waved about. That just makes trouble in the stands. If it was copacetic in 1974, there's no reason for it to be different, now. Even in the 70s. the little felt team pennants on a stick were being banned, for reasons of safety and peace, not political correctness.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Vrede too wrote:...Whatever, are you going to write the district with your views?
No. Because the principal already rescinded his decision.
Ah, political correctness. :P

Anyhow, still no harm in opining. If Old Glory is being used for taunting, this will come up again.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Speaking of flags, I'm super fucking pissed to hear about white supremacist orgs trying to take my beloved Type O Negative Vinland flag and usurp it for their own ends. Goddamnit:

http://www.adl.org/combating-hate/hate- ... 8WxKcspDqB

Also the Gadsden flag and the tea party. I legit liked that flag man. Now I can't have one.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:Speaking of flags, I'm super fucking pissed to hear about white supremacist orgs trying to take my beloved Type O Negative Vinland flag and usurp it for their own ends. Goddamnit:

http://www.adl.org/combating-hate/hate- ... 8WxKcspDqB ...
It's got more black than white. :thumbup:

It may not be catching on. I googled "white supremacist flag" and Type O Negative's flag only popped up once, way down near the bottom, and that is on the ADL's website. You can tell folks that you're a goth BLM treehugger. ;)

Stumbled on this, almost certainly Photoshop:

:lol:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Petition of support to Colin Kaepernick

48,437 signatures so far.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I stand for the national anthem, and "O Canada" too at the spring baseball games, but it's more just following custom than any great sense of patriotism. But I think things have gotten way out of hand when it's a weeks-long raging national rant because one (or a few) guys don't stand. Sure, it was intended as a protest to attract attention and it worked. But my question is, why should it work? Who cares?

And why is it mandatory to play the national anthem before every sports event in the country? They let us get by without it at theatres, concerts, and most other large-crowd events, but not sports. Maybe not golf. I've never seen it, but I've never gotten to a tournament in time for the first guy to go off tee, so I don' t know. But if not golf, how do they get out of it?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:... But if not golf, how do they get out of it?
A guess: The spectators and players are never all in the same place.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:... But if not golf, how do they get out of it?
A guess: The spectators and players are never all in the same place.
Maybe, but there's usually a crowd on the first tee. Maybe because they don't start at the same time or because after the first day the worst players start first. Or maybe because it's a multi-day event. Or because half in the field are from somewhere else and they'd have to play everybody's song. Anyway, PGA, and LPGA - for whatever reason(s), we thank you.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Maybe because it's a Scottish game?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Nah, soccer and hockey are furrin games too and they play it before those games.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Funny you should mention it.
Soccer star Rapinoe kneels during national anthem

... "It was very intentional," Rapinoe told American Soccer Now after Seattle's 2-2 tie in the National Women's Soccer League game. "It was a little nod to Kaepernick and everything that he's standing for right now. I think it's actually pretty disgusting the way he was treated and the way that a lot of the media has covered it and made it about something that it absolutely isn't. We need to have a more thoughtful, two-sided conversation about racial issues in this country.

"Being a gay American, I know what it means to look at the flag and not have it protect all of your liberties. It was something small that I could do and something that I plan to keep doing in the future and hopefully spark some meaningful conversation around it. It's important to have white people stand in support of people of color on this. We don't need to be the leading voice, of course, but standing in support of them is something that's really powerful."

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Jeremy Lane showed his support for Kaepernick by sitting on the bench during the national anthem at a preseason game in Oakland....
I'm not making a prediction at all but one possible scenario is that this gets big, especially with so many black players and fans in some sports. If so and to avoid perpetual controversy, could the anthem stop being played? As O Really says, we don't do it for non-sports events.

Otoh, while I've long sat for the anthem and stopped saying the Pledge in 7th grade - what "liberty and justice for all"? - there's a risk that the cause gets lost in debate about the tactic.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

"...Seattle's 2-2 tie in the National Women's Soccer League game."
Do you suppose they're thinking maybe they shouldn't have dumped Solo yet?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

CA university first to establish black only housing: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/06/ca ... using.html

We have come full circle.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

JTA wrote:CA university first to establish black only housing: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/06/ca ... using.html

It's really cool though that our racists have finally made amends and found common ground with one another and can finally live separately (but equal) in peace with one another.

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

JTA wrote:
JTA wrote:CA university first to establish black only housing: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/06/ca ... using.html

It's really cool though that our racists have finally made amends and found common ground with one another and can finally live separately (but equal) in peace with one another.

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

We had separate but equal schools when I was growing up.

They weren't
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.