The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by rstrong »

bannination wrote:
Mr.B wrote: Bottom line; neither of us is 100% right nor is either of us 100% wrong; but I'm betting that I'm more right than you are.
So...now what?
Isn't betting a sin? Pretty sure it is. Probably another one of those things you ignore.
His personal interpretation of the King James Bible contradicts that of the branch of Christianity that created it. THAT's who he's betting against. It may be a loophole that no intelligent person would take his bet seriously.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong wrote:
bannination wrote:
Mr.B wrote:"Bottom line; neither of us is 100% right nor is either of us 100% wrong; but I'm betting that I'm more right than you are....So...now what?"
"Isn't betting a sin? Pretty sure it is. Probably another one of those things you ignore."
So is stupidity, but none of your ilk are critical of you for it.
"His personal interpretation of the King James Bible contradicts that of the branch of Christianity that created it. THAT's who he's betting against."
Check your local tech school for the next available classes in Comprehension 101; providing they still hold classes for 2nd. grade skill levels.

"It may be a loophole that no intelligent person would take his bet seriously."
That totally leaves you and Banni out then, don't it?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

....which is why he's unable to come up with a reasoned, intelligent response when it's pointed out.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Mr.B wrote:"That totally leaves you and Banni out then, don't it?"
rstrong wrote:"....which is why he's unable to come up with a reasoned, intelligent response when it's pointed out."
1...Banni's YOUR friend; 2..you left yourself out.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

rstrong wrote:....which is why he's unable to come up with a reasoned, intelligent response when it's pointed out.
No doubt.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

bannination wrote:
Mr.B wrote:Bottom line; neither of us is 100% right nor is either of us 100% wrong; but I'm betting that I'm more right than you are.
So...now what?
Isn't betting a sin? Pretty sure it is. Probably another one of those things you ignore.
Way dumb bet, you can't even comprehend an entire topic, let alone form a coherent and correct opinion on it.
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... ion#p70592
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

bannination wrote:
Mr.B wrote: Bottom line; neither of us is 100% right nor is either of us 100% wrong; but I'm betting that I'm more right than you are.
So...now what?
Betting is pretty low on the sin scale, compared to all the hateful shit the religious trash is engaged in these days. If that's the kinda shit the "one true God" worries about, He can kiss my ass. I'll also bet that, if MrSethB gets into heaven, none of us has anyfuckingthing to worry about.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

The moron right. Yes, I know that's redundant.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Boathomophoberocker wrote: "I just wish it was even possible to destroy religion."
Sorry; the one who's cheerleading you on wished that eons ago; he too was unsuccessful

".... if MrSethB gets into heaven, none of us has any *** thing to worry about."
For sure we won't have to "worry about" seeing you; evil is not welcome there ....
however; be assured, your cheerleader waits patiently for your arrival at his home...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

One-Third Of U.S. Residents Say You Must Be Christian To Be ‘Truly American’

... That’s according to the results of a just-released “What It Takes to Be Truly ‘One of Us’” survey by the Pew Research Center, which asked 14,500 people in 14 countries questions about how they view national identity.

In the United States, 32 percent of respondents said it was “very important” to be a Christian in order to be “truly American.” Another 19 percent said Christianity is somewhat important, which means just over half of the respondents tied religion to national identity in a country where our First Amendment explicitly states there shall be no established religion.

That surprised me, especially in light of a Pew study released a couple years ago that found about a third of Americans identified as being non-religious or practicing a faith other than Christianity.

It’s also alarming when you hear the study results at the same time your president advocates for chipping away at church-state separation by repealing the Johnson Amendment and prioritizing admission for Christian refugees over Muslims, and while he’s appointing advisors who have troubling views of religious freedom.

Catherine Rampell, a columnist for The Washington Post, recently opined that America is seeing religion infiltrate public policies – and the threat is coming from Christian conservatives, not Muslims pushing Sharia law.

“The religiously motivated laws creeping into public policymaking aren’t based on the Koran, and they aren’t coming from mythical hard-line Islamists in, say, Dearborn, Mich.,” Rampell wrote. “They’re coming from the White House, which wants to make it easier for hard-line Christians to impose their beliefs and practices on the rest of us.”

The United States was somewhat of an outlier in the Pew study in terms of associating Christianity with nationality. Only two countries had larger numbers of people who thought being a Christian was very important to national identity: Greece, at 54 percent, and Poland, 34 percent. The median response across all countries in the survey was 15 percent, which is about how many of our neighbors to the north thought being Christian was key to being Canadian....

Putting aside the question of birthplace, I’d say having an appreciation for freedom and democracy are part of what makes someone American. Learning about, tolerating – even celebrating – our differences while proudly sharing our own beliefs, traditions and quirks is a vital aspect of our culture.

And having a taste for apple pie is a must.
In other words, 51% of Americans, certainly almost all Christian, are bigots that are either woefully civics ignorant or just detest our founding principles, and everything they've screeched about impending "Sharia law" is really describing themselves.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

More Baloney From Ken Ham

... To get caught up on the latest edition of “As the Ham Spoils,” take a quick look at this editorial I wrote for the February issue of Church & State. In it, I dared to point out that Ham’s Old Testament Disneyland wannabee gets subsidies from the state.

That made Ham mad! They are not subsidies, he fumed. He also accused of us trying to stifle free speech. I’m not sure what Ham means by that. We’ve never tried to stop Ham from building his ark, which, I should point out, is just like Noah’s except it has electricity, lights, air conditioning, central heating, steel beams, rivets, bolts, joists, nails, metal hinges and possibly wi-fi. We just had the temerity to suggest that since it’s an evangelistic project, maybe Ham and his Answers in Genesis (AiG) ministry should pay for it with private funds.

This is the closest any human ever came to riding on a dinosaur.

So an angry Ham did call-ith down the wrath of his Twitter account upon Americans United and did smote us with a ferocious blog post. Unfortunately for the dullard from Down Under, we’ve been kind of busy lately trying to stop President Donald Trump from relegating Muslims to second-class citizenship (among other things) and barely noticed.

Lo and behold, I’ve come to find out that two champions have arisen in our defense. Susan L. Trollinger and William Vance Trollinger Jr., who are both professors at the University of Dayton, challenged Ham’s claim that he’s not receiving any state subsidies.

“While Ham would like readers to focus on these semantics, we should look at something else Ham says: ‘The Ark Encounter was built by donations and bond issue [emphases ours] – no state money was used,’” wrote the two on their blog. “Bond issue. It sounds straightforward. Boring even. But nothing could be further from the truth.”

The Trollingers added, “As we have reported numerous times, in 2013 the town of Williamstown – a few miles from the Ark, with a population under 4,000 – gave Ark Encounter $62 million in Tax Incremental Funding. Over the next thirty years, the Ark will apply 75% of its property taxes toward repayment of these bonds. This is a remarkably sweet deal, made sweeter by the fact that if the Ark sinks, the taxpayers and the investors (and not AiG) will be left holding the bag.”

... You might recall that the reason we even wrote about Ham recently was that a “geologist” who works at his park claimed he had proof that dinosaurs and humans coexisted. His proof turned out to be Beowulf – a work of fiction.

... Ham and his band of kooky creationists have the right to believe whatever they want. The pseudo-science pervading Ark Encounter is straight out of “The Flintstones,” but it’s a free country. Have at it.

Just don’t expect the people who know better to pay for it.
In other words, rightwing Christians like Ham are too stupid to know what subsidies are or are too dishonest to admit when they're getting them, which also makes them really stupid given that it's so obvious.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:
More Baloney From Ken Ham

... To get caught up on the latest edition of “As the Ham Spoils,” take a quick look at this editorial I wrote for the February issue of Church & State. In it, I dared to point out that Ham’s Old Testament Disneyland wannabee gets subsidies from the state.

That made Ham mad! They are not subsidies, he fumed. He also accused of us trying to stifle free speech. I’m not sure what Ham means by that. We’ve never tried to stop Ham from building his ark, which, I should point out, is just like Noah’s except it has electricity, lights, air conditioning, central heating, steel beams, rivets, bolts, joists, nails, metal hinges and possibly wi-fi. We just had the temerity to suggest that since it’s an evangelistic project, maybe Ham and his Answers in Genesis (AiG) ministry should pay for it with private funds.

So an angry Ham did call-ith down the wrath of his Twitter account upon Americans United and did smote us with a ferocious blog post. Unfortunately for the dullard from Down Under, we’ve been kind of busy lately trying to stop President Donald Trump from relegating Muslims to second-class citizenship (among other things) and barely noticed.

Lo and behold, I’ve come to find out that two champions have arisen in our defense. Susan L. Trollinger and William Vance Trollinger Jr., who are both professors at the University of Dayton, challenged Ham’s claim that he’s not receiving any state subsidies.

“While Ham would like readers to focus on these semantics, we should look at something else Ham says: ‘The Ark Encounter was built by donations and bond issue [emphases ours] – no state money was used,’” wrote the two on their blog. “Bond issue. It sounds straightforward. Boring even. But nothing could be further from the truth.”

The Trollingers added, “As we have reported numerous times, in 2013 the town of Williamstown – a few miles from the Ark, with a population under 4,000 – gave Ark Encounter $62 million in Tax Incremental Funding. Over the next thirty years, the Ark will apply 75% of its property taxes toward repayment of these bonds. This is a remarkably sweet deal, made sweeter by the fact that if the Ark sinks, the taxpayers and the investors (and not AiG) will be left holding the bag.”

... You might recall that the reason we even wrote about Ham recently was that a “geologist” who works at his park claimed he had proof that dinosaurs and humans coexisted. His proof turned out to be Beowulf – a work of fiction.

... Ham and his band of kooky creationists have the right to believe whatever they want. The pseudo-science pervading Ark Encounter is straight out of “The Flintstones,” but it’s a free country. Have at it.

Just don’t expect the people who know better to pay for it.
In other words, rightwing Christians like Ham are too stupid to know what subsidies are or are too dishonest to admit when they're getting them, which also makes them really stupid given that it's so obvious.
The same crowd of dimwit christofascist goobers who want Obammercare repealed, but want to keep the ACA.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ivanka Trump Tweeted About Religious Tolerance. It Didn’t Go Down Well.
Most people asked if she’d pass the message on to her father, President Donald Trump.

Ivanka Trump Verified account
‏@IvankaTrump

America is a nation built on the principle of religious tolerance. We must protect our houses of worship & religious centers. #JCC
Please say that on @foxnews so your dad hears it
@IvankaTrump This tweet means nothing. You campaigned for your father while he traveled the country promising to ban Muslims from entering.
@IvankaTrump it's not too late to come out against your father. Mine is demented too. You don't have to pay for his crimes. Take a stand!
@IvankaTrump you know what would be a great way of doing that? Have your dad to tell all his nazi/klan supporters to eff off.
.@IvankaTrump it would be super super cool if you would lecture your dad on this subject. but let's be real, this tweet is to save face.
.@IvankaTrump Seriously #Ivanka? Are you so tone-deaf, or drowning in hubris, that u don't realize how disingenuous & ironic this tweet is?
@IvankaTrump *cough* mosques? *cough*
@IvankaTrump How can you remain silent on Donald Trump's attacks on minorities when he targets people who are in the US LEGALLY?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:Ivanka Trump Tweeted About Religious Tolerance. It Didn’t Go Down Well.
Most people asked if she’d pass the message on to her father, President Donald Trump.

Ivanka Trump Verified account
‏@IvankaTrump

America is a nation built on the principle of religious tolerance. We must protect our houses of worship & religious centers. #JCC
Please say that on @foxnews so your dad hears it
@IvankaTrump This tweet means nothing. You campaigned for your father while he traveled the country promising to ban Muslims from entering.
@IvankaTrump it's not too late to come out against your father. Mine is demented too. You don't have to pay for his crimes. Take a stand!
@IvankaTrump you know what would be a great way of doing that? Have your dad to tell all his nazi/klan supporters to eff off.
.@IvankaTrump it would be super super cool if you would lecture your dad on this subject. but let's be real, this tweet is to save face.
.@IvankaTrump Seriously #Ivanka? Are you so tone-deaf, or drowning in hubris, that u don't realize how disingenuous & ironic this tweet is?
@IvankaTrump *cough* mosques? *cough*
@IvankaTrump How can you remain silent on Donald Trump's attacks on minorities when he targets people who are in the US LEGALLY?

She's only talking about everyone tolerating her religion.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

For bb,

One of the most noticeable elements of the work is a large section concerning the following sexual activities, which are prohibited lest the land spue you out:

Do not be sexually involved with your close relatives
Do not be sexually involved with your mother or step-mother
Do not be sexually involved with your sister, step-sister, or sister-in-law
Do not be sexually involved with your aunts (biological or through marriage)
Do not be sexually involved with your granddaughter
Do not be sexually involved with your daughter-in-law
Do not be sexually involved with a woman as well as her daughter
Do not be sexually involved with a ritually unclean woman
Do not be sexually involved with your neighbour's wife
Do not pass your seed/children through the fire to Moloch
Do not be sexually involved with a man as you would with a woman
Do not be sexually involved with a beast

Pretty long list to be so upset about one little part
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:Do not be sexually involved with a man as you would with a woman
Does it ever once say, "Do not be sexually involved with a woman as you would with a man"?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:Do not be sexually involved with a man as you would with a woman
Does it ever once say, "Do not be sexually involved with a woman as you would with a man"?

I never saw it, or anything about marrying a lawnmower,0 but then bb often sees things that don't exist.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

billy.pilgrim wrote:For bb,

One of the most noticeable elements of the work is a large section concerning the following sexual activities, which are prohibited lest the land spue you out:

Do not be sexually involved with your close relatives
Do not be sexually involved with your mother or step-mother
Do not be sexually involved with your sister, step-sister, or sister-in-law
Do not be sexually involved with your aunts (biological or through marriage)
Do not be sexually involved with your granddaughter
Do not be sexually involved with your daughter-in-law
Do not be sexually involved with a woman as well as her daughter
Do not be sexually involved with a ritually unclean woman
Do not be sexually involved with your neighbour's wife
Do not pass your seed/children through the fire to Moloch
Do not be sexually involved with a man as you would with a woman
Do not be sexually involved with a beast

Pretty long list to be so upset about one little part
Inasmuch as you've been "spued" out, I guess that means you failed all the above tests? Pity.