The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Mr.B wrote:
Vrede too wrote:"Mr.B fails English, again®...."
billy.pilgrim wrote: "looks like bb won't..."
Same old rehashed, beating-a-dead-rotten horse; over and over. Not gonna be baited when you know where I stand ... besides, I don't wish to be arrested by the English police; nor am I overly concerned what you agree with. Deal with it.

Simple question, that you have never answered to me.

How old is the earth?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Childish, dishonest, wussy response when he screws up twice, as usual.
Vrede too wrote:Mr.B fails English, again, this time on the difference between "evidence" and "beliefs". Also, "tolerance" has to do with the law and policy where he wants his bigotry expressed. It has nothing to do with our agreeing with his fairy tales.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

billy.pilgrim wrote:"Simple question, that you have never answered to me....How old is the earth?"
Not to you directly, but I have stated my reply many times.
I'm pushing 70, so it's at least 100 years old; +/- a few years. :thumbup:

Now, your turn.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote: "Childish©, dishonest®, wussy® response when he screws up© twice, as usual©."

(P.S. --- Vrede ... it's March. Don't 'cha think it's time to unveil a new "Phrase of the Month" ... ?
Your peers are waiting with bated breath to see what your finely-tuned narcissistic mind has conjured up.
Be concise; their anticipation is electric.)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Are you smarter than an atheist? A religious quiz

Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups in a 32-question survey of religious knowledge by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. On average, Americans got 16 of the 32 questions correct. Atheists and agnostics got an average of 20.9 correct answers. Jews (20.5) and Mormons (20.3). Protestants got 16 correct answers on average, while Catholics got 14.7 questions right.

How will you do on the quiz?
Your score
32 Correct
0 Wrong
100%

You answered 32 of 32 questions correctly for a total score of 100%.

Average reader score
84%
Twice as knowledgeable about religion as the average Protestant. Funny that.

#11 correct, but I wasn’t 100% sure. #29 correct, but I sort of guessed between 2 of the choices. So, I could have ended up at 93.75%.
Last edited by Vrede too on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Quiz results

Your score Average reader score
Correct 2
Wrong 94%
You answered 30 of 32 questions correctly for a total score of 94%.

One guy I'd never heard of; one question I gave Catholics more credit than they deserved.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sounds like the exact same 2 that I was a little unsure about.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

You answered 29 of 32 questions correctly for a total score of 91%.

I missed the ones dealing with Buddhism, Hinduism, and Taoism.
No biggie, don't dabble in them anyway; unaware of any reincarnated cows, chickens, goats, etc. in anyone's family I know,
nor of any out-of-body experiences... :thumbup:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:Not that it's a surprise -

New Poll Shows Support For Muslim Ban Declining – Except Among White Evangelical Christians

Despite supposedly having god to give them strength, charity, courage and compassion, they are terrified religious bigots.
Why Evangelicals are Trump's strongest travel-ban supporters
New polls show that, while support for a travel ban has dropped among most religious faiths, it has grown among Evangelicals – a sign of their cultural evolution and growing bond with the Trump administration.

... On the one hand, it’s an anomaly. The deep bond between the Trump administration and white Evangelicals has perplexed scholars and observers in the media, who have noted, again and again, the seeming cultural chasms between the Manhattan billionaire’s past lifestyle and conservative Evangelicals’ emphasis on moral character and family values.

Yet in other ways, it makes perfect sense, scholars say. Among the religious groups within the US, the culture of Evangelicalism has maintained both a vivid sense of America as a Christian nation and a deeply-rooted exclusive theology that remains suspicious of those outside the fold.

“I think the biggest thing is that Evangelicals have mixed their faith with the state, making a kind of religious nationalism,” says Pastor Bob Roberts, head of the 3,000-member NorthWood Church, an evangelical congregation in Keller, Texas. “They see it as ‘taking back America,’ as stopping the Muslims from taking over America.” ...

'There really is a fear ...'

And like many historians, Balmer notes that the rise of the religious right in the 1960s and 1970s had more to do with a reaction to the desegregation of the public school system, and their efforts to establish private Christian academies, rather than issues surrounding abortion or human sexuality....
Pretty much as I posted. Serial lying, racially and religiously bigoted, "pussy" grabbing sexual assaulter Trump is the white Evangelicals' new messiah. It's tough these days for Evangelicals that actually place scripture over politics. Too many of their peers have lost sight of the difference.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Mr.B wrote:You answered 29 of 32 questions correctly for a total score of 91%.

nor of any out-of-body experiences... :thumbup:
Maybe you'd find the Bible to be interesting reading, then.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Mr.B wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:"Simple question, that you have never answered to me....How old is the earth?"
Not to you directly, but I have stated my reply many times.
I'm pushing 70, so it's at least 100 years old; +/- a few years. :thumbup:

Now, your turn.
Very poor answer.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

billy.pilgrim wrote:"Very poor answer."
Since you didn't like my first answer, I'll have to admit that I, nor anyone else for that matter knows the exact age in millions or billions.

I know what you would have loved for me to say, but I'm not naive´ or radically conservative.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:
"...nor of any out-of-body experiences..." :thumbup:
"Maybe you'd find the Bible to be interesting reading, then."
:lol: Good comeback! I was referring to trances and/or voodooism! :lol:

O Really
Admiral

Mr.B wrote:
O Really wrote:
"...nor of any out-of-body experiences..." :thumbup:
"Maybe you'd find the Bible to be interesting reading, then."
:lol: Good comeback! I was referring to trances and/or voodooism! :lol:
Maybe you'd find the Bible to be interesting reading, then. Trances of Peter and Paul, Acts 10:10 ; 11:5 ; 22:17 , ecstasies, "a preternatural, absorbed state of mind preparing for the reception of the vision",

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Then, there are the numerous biblical curses and plagues visited upon individuals and communities, no different from voodoo myths. There were no voodoo questions in the quiz and I don't think trances were there, either. Mr.B must be having an out-of-body experience. Nttawwt.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Voodoo does incompass a lot of use of symbols, amulets, etc. to protect against evil. The Bible thinks God wouldn't be that happy with that. “In that day, the Lord will take away the beauty of their anklets, headbands, crescent ornaments, dangling earrings, bracelets, veils, headdresses, ankle chains, sashes, perfume boxes [and] amulets” (Isaiah 3:18-20. Which is all well and good, I guess, but if I wore a gold cross necklace or used prayer beads or had a plastic Jesus sitting on my dash, I might be concerned.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

God makes an exception for a plastic bobblehead Jesus sitting on your dash. Even s/he/it has a sense of humor.

Oklahoma lawmaker asks Muslims: 'Do you beat your wife?'

Bigoted cretins, that's how rightwing Republican Baptists are.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

OK, OK, I cry uncle. Many of the questions asked were not of Biblical knowledge, rather they dealt with various "religions" and practices. The Christian that has accepted Christ does not concern him/herself with worldly practices.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:"God makes an exception for a plastic bobblehead(sic) Jesus sitting on your dash.
Even s/he/it has a sense of humor."
That's why He keeps plastic, hollow bobble-heads such as yourself on His dash, (you know, the Accord?) although He never spoke one word about driving while distracted.
"Oklahoma lawmaker asks Muslims: 'Do you beat your wife?'
"Bigoted cretins, that's how rightwing(sic) Republican Baptists are."
For sure our all-knowing walking fountain of mis-information knows all these things to be fact.

O Really
Admiral

Mr.B wrote:. The Christian that has accepted Christ does not concern him/herself with worldly practices.
Apparently s/he does. Essentially everything in the practice of the Christian religion (as well as the others) are all "worldly practices." You don't get to do unworldly practices until you've died. Rituals, ranging from baptism to communion, to rules on drinking, Lent, whatever, are all worldly practices, most of which have little if anything to do with the afterlife.