Coronavirus

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post by O Really »

Whack9 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:22 am

Advice I was given: if you do have to cancel and can't get a refund, don't cancel your tickets with the airline. Just don't show up. Why? If you cancel the airline can sell your seat to someone else potentialy making double since they won't give you your money back. If you don't show up, the seat is still reserved and the airline has to eat the cost.
That's a fun plan, but not entirely complete. If you're not checked in by 15 minutes prior to your flight, the airline can release your seats and give them to somebody on standby if there is anyone. But if you do the online check-in, that may get around it.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:27 am
Sometime Lefty wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:29 am
We talked about turning back and with the cruise ins (which is a cancel for any reason) this close to departure would cost us 1500 bucks to cancel. Then there is the flight from Gainesville to Lihue which has a separate ins, the flight from Lihue to Honolulu which has no ins, the flight from Vancouver (the ships final stop) to Portland (a place we wanted to spend a few days) which has no ins, and Portland back home to Gainesville which has ins, it is at least $2000 to cancel depending how the flight ins works. The plan now is to charge a head and go, if it is a worst case scenario cruise ships and airplanes could be grounded (see what I did there) and we might get all our money back or maybe full vouchers. Any other scenario, as long as we aren't sick when boarding, we might go and hope for the best. We are both over 66 so a 2000-3800 dollar penalty is better than a death penalty. We will see. Back in January when planning this trip things were so much simpler.
I read a story the other day that related how the cruise lines are starting to panic over a decline in bookings since the virus outbreak. If I were you I would call the cruise line and tell them you want $2,500 to NOT cancel your already booked cruise. If they say "no' then tell them you want $3,000 and that's your final offer. I say beat the bastards at their own game. Hell, they may give you the money.....
I like this. It might be a good time to book a cruise and then call back for the discount, but you would then have to get on a boat with a thousand people and get quarantined on the boat in your little bitty cabin. Still, I like the idea for others.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I've got a flight April 18th. In everyone's opinion, should I think about cancelling myself, or take my own advice and reevaluate closer to the date? Bay area, where there's been a slew of cases.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:29 am
I've got a flight April 18th. In everyone's opinion, should I think about cancelling myself, or take my own advice and reevaluate closer to the date? Bay area, where there's been a slew of cases.
Dying in the Bay Area is better than living in SC :P .

More seriously:
It's a pandemic, you're probably going to be exposed sooner or later unless you go into full hermit mode.
Once exposed, odds are 97% that you will survive and be immune. Your odds of surviving the drives to and from the airports may not be that good ;) .
It's supposedly been in the US and under the radar for weeks or longer. You may have already been exposed, had a mild or symptom-free case, and already be immune. The last few days I've had a mild cough, not unusual, with a small amount of sputum production, which is new. I'm otherwise fine. COVID-19? Almost certainly not, but it could be.
You are not in a high risk group for serious illness.
One reason I can see to not go would be if activities you're counting on might be canceled, or if your friends are afraid of you.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Whack9 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:29 am
Leave on April 11th in a large rented vehicle like a Cadillac or Lincoln, load it up with a slew of cases of beer and drive out there. Two things point to this plan; one, if you drive you won't have to breathe recycled air for five hours. Two, if you drive, you will be able to monitor virus conditions on the fly, perhaps gain valuable information from those who just came back from thirty miles down the road you're about to head down, and as an added bonus you'll have all that beer. April is a good month for beer and driving.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:34 pm
Leave on April 11th in a large rented vehicle like a Cadillac or Lincoln, load it up with a slew of cases of beer and drive out there. Two things point to this plan; one, if you drive you won't have to breathe recycled air for five hours. Two, if you drive, you will be able to monitor virus conditions on the fly, perhaps gain valuable information from those who just came back from thirty miles down the road you're about to head down, and as an added bonus you'll have all that beer. April is a good month for beer and driving.
With enough beer one doesn't care whether they're in the Bay Area or SC. Just stay in your driveway, Whack9.

Two test positive for coronavirus at US conference attended by Pence

Two people have tested positive for the new coronavirus after taking part in a pro-Israel lobby group's conference in Washington which Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and dozens of lawmakers also attended.

The influential American Israel Public Affairs Committee said in an email to attendees, speakers and congressional offices that the infected pair had traveled from New York to go to the March 1-3 event....

The event attracted several high-profile attendees including Pence, Pompeo, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, and Democratic former White House hopeful Mike Bloomberg.

Pence is leading the US response to the novel coronavirus....
God works in not so mysterious ways.

Comments:
Thoughts and prayers.
No worries people! We pay for our politicians' word-class health insurance. Pence and 2/3 of Congress will be just fine. WHEW! That was a close one. Now let's just keep waiting for our "phenomenal" healthcare promised to us. They'll deliver, right? Right??
Somehow I suspect Pence will magically find enough tests to test all the "important" people.
Pence held a prayer service at the beginning so I'm sure they'll all be safe.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I'm starting to think rattan is behind this coronavirus business. It all started around the time he left here in a self righteous huff. That treacherous bastard is definitely involved in this. I just know it. He thinks he's such a wise cunt.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:01 pm
I'm starting to think rattan is behind this coronavirus business. It all started around the time he left here in a self righteous huff. That treacherous bastard is definitely involved in this. I just know it. He thinks he's such a wise cunt.
He was one of the four internet trolls of the apocalypse.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Official: White House didn't want to tell seniors not to fly

The White House overruled health officials who wanted to recommend that elderly and physically fragile Americans be advised not to fly on commercial airlines because of the new coronavirus, a federal official told The Associated Press.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention submitted the plan this week as a way of trying to control the virus, but White House officials ordered the air travel recommendation be removed, said the official who had direct knowledge of the plan....
It’s a shame that seniors are being endangered, and ironic that they are a significant portion of Dolt .45’s base.

Otherwise, I support IMPOSPOTUS’ actions: still gathering his Trumpettes in large numbers at rallies during a pandemic, and giving out fake medical advice to the rallying Trumpettes, his Twits, and to Faux Noise viewers.

Thanks you for your service to America, President* Trump.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sometime Lefty wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:33 am
Sure, we are packing some extra clothes for quarantine, hope they also do laundry.
Sounds like you can cancel, postpone OR negotiate a steep discount.

Should I go on a cruise? Cruise lines offer free cancellations for travelers concerned about coronavirus — and slash prices to tempt others
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:07 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:01 pm
He was one of the four internet trolls of the apocalypse.
Coronavirus live updates: US death toll hits 21; infected NJ man, Trump attended the same conference

All hail NJ assassins :-|| .
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

"Over the last long period of time, you have an average of 36,000 people dying” a year"

"Trump continued: “I never heard those numbers. I would’ve been shocked. I would’ve said, ‘Does anybody die from the flu? I didn’t know people died from the flu.’ … And again, you had a couple of years where it was over a 100,000 people died from the flu.”"

"One of those episodes was the 1958 pandemic, which killed 116,000 in the United States.

Another was 1918.

That is the year Trump’s paternal grandfather died.

He died of the flu."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... ronavirus/

To be fair, the family tries to forget the draft dodging pimp who made it all possible.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Cruz is going to voluntary self-quarantine from attending that same meeting. I guess it's too much to hope for that the deniers will get a good dose of reality.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:25 am
Cruz is going to voluntary self-quarantine from attending that same meeting. I guess it's too much to hope for that the deniers will get a good dose of reality.
He supposedly shook hands with the NJ assassin. I think Cruz should suck it up and attend Repug caucuses.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sometime Lefty wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:33 am
Sure, we are packing some extra clothes for quarantine, hope they also do laundry.
State Department: US citizens 'should not travel by cruise ship' amid coronavirus outbreak

On the bright side, the buffet lines will be short.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Had to be coming - new app tracks coronavirus in (somewhat) real time.
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vanc ... bc-2145366

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://youtu.be/f1HIQqVBx20

strange, I watched the full episode this morning but can't find it now. the highlights move quicker anyway.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:03 pm
https://youtu.be/f1HIQqVBx20

strange, I watched the full episode this morning but can't find it now. the highlights move quicker anyway.
Not sure what you watched, but I found it twice, both available for purchase only:
The Monsters are Due on Maple Street
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfHts_7Jk_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWQLCWT6RIs

COVID-19 profiteering?

Here's a more modern remake, I did not watch it:
THE TWILIGHT ZONE("The Monsters Are on Maple Street")
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/09/politics ... index.html

I think this quote by Trump sums up the way his mind functions pretty succinctly.

He was asked if he had any concerns about his Rally's being vectors for spreading the coronavirus. All those people packed closely together. His mind interprets the question as if he's concerned the virus will affect his "numbers":
17. "I haven't had any problems filling them. I mean, we just had one in North Carolina, South Carolina -- all over the place. And we have tens of thousands of people standing outside the arena."

The question Trump was asked was whether he had any concerns about holding big campaign rallies given warning about the community spread of coronavirus. His answer? His rallies are packed. So, yeah.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:09 pm
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/09/politics ... index.html

I think this quote by Trump sums up the way his mind functions pretty succinctly.

He was asked if he had any concerns about his Rally's being vectors for spreading the coronavirus. All those people packed closely together. His mind interprets the question as if he's concerned the virus will affect his "numbers":
17. "I haven't had any problems filling them. I mean, we just had one in North Carolina, South Carolina -- all over the place. And we have tens of thousands of people standing outside the arena."

The question Trump was asked was whether he had any concerns about holding big campaign rallies given warning about the community spread of coronavirus. His answer? His rallies are packed. So, yeah.
That's what he says, but the votes tomorrow are the first ones this year where he didn't hold a pre-rally. More likely personal terror by the the lifelong cowardly Chickenhawk in Chief than concern for his worshipers, though.
1312. ETTD.