The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by O Really »

That may not be an issue very much longer.
Trudeau is in big trouble over what passes for a "huge scandal" in Canada. Seems he made a strong suggestion that the attorney general should intervene in charges against SNC-Lavolin (one of Quebec's larger employers) to work out a deal that would avoid criminal penalties. Didn't ask her to do anything specifically illegal, and probably not even that unusual - certainly not in other countries - but the attorney general balked, then quit, and it turned into quite the kerfuffle. Trudeau's intent - by all accounts - was not personal gain, but to stave off the possibility (probability?) that SNC-Lavolin would move out of Canada to the hit of a bunch of jobs and on the economy.

Considering that Trump has his own attorney general to do whatever he wants - legal or not - and nobody even notices anymore is a pretty stark reminded of how far the US has fallen.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Bummer. If it's not that rational, are you saying that Trudeau hating IS a religion? :D
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:27 am
Bummer. If it's not that rational, are you saying that Trudeau hating IS a religion? :D
I don't know that it's irrational - Canada has people/parties that oppose the Liberals, and there are those who say if Trudeau had been named, say, Smith, he would have never been considered qualified for the job. And there are many outside of Ottawa who consider the whole flap just a politics deal that they could give a rats ass about. But still, as of latest poll, Trudeau is lower than Trump. (Not on a head to head basis, of course, but just on an in-country approve/disapprove poll.)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Found:
You pray for us, we'll reason for you.
:D
Thoughts and reasons.
Thoughts and logic.
Thoughts and rationality.

:?:

We'll have to work on that one.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:57 am
Good News
    https://www.everystudent.com/wires/atheist.html
    Congrats, y'all desperately need the win as badly a Jesus needs a new PR team.
    The World's Newest Major Religion: No Religion
    As secularism grows, atheists and agnostics are trying to expand and diversify their ranks.

... The religiously unaffiliated, called "nones," are growing significantly. They’re the second largest religious group in North America and most of Europe. In the United States, nones make up almost a quarter of the population. In the past decade, U.S. nones have overtaken Catholics, mainline protestants, and all followers of non-Christian faiths....

There have long been predictions that religion would fade from relevancy as the world modernizes, but all the recent surveys are finding that it’s happening startlingly fast. France will have a majority secular population soon. So will the Netherlands and New Zealand. The United Kingdom and Australia will soon lose Christian majorities. Religion is rapidly becoming less important than it’s ever been, even to people who live in countries where faith has affected everything from rulers to borders to architecture....
    Oh well, at least you still have Brenton Tarrant and the white, male, often Christian, cons that perpetrate most of our domestic terror attacks. You must be so proud.
    1312. ETTD.

O Really
    Admiral

So, CAT - do you really believe that an entity powerful enough and omniscient enough to have created the universe(s) really cares about human-created belief systems or which of those belief systems any given human follows?

Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
    Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:34 pm
    So, CAT - do you really believe that an entity powerful enough and omniscient enough to have created the universe(s) really cares about human-created belief systems or which of those belief systems any given human follows?
    I believe that the myth is that we were created explicitly in order to glorify god, which would make her/him an even more desperately insecure snowflake than 45SHole is.
    1312. ETTD.

O Really
    Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
    Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:42 pm
    O Really wrote:
    I believe that the myth is that we were created explicitly in order to glorify god, which would make her/him an even more desperately insecure snowflake than 45SHole is.
    OK, got it. So an entity powerful enough to have created the universe(s) is going to pick out one small third rock from one of the suns and create some critters whose sole purpose is to say "attaboy, God".

neoplacebo
    Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
    Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:05 pm
    Vrede too wrote:
    Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:42 pm
    O Really wrote:
    OK, got it. So an entity powerful enough to have created the universe(s) is going to pick out one small third rock from one of the suns and create some critters whose sole purpose is to say "attaboy, God".
    Man created god; not the other way around. This is what all the various adherents fail to see. Plus, god has always been a crutch for people for whom life has taken a low flight and for people to justify their particular cause. Religion, and its cousin politics, is really the cause of all problems throughout history. I'll have fried chicken.

Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
    . . . in thousands of different religions, only one of which is the "correct" one. I'll be that each inappropriate "atta entity" is annoying.
    neoplacebo wrote:
    Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:30 pm
    ... I'll have fried chicken.
    As a Buddhist vegan, I find that offensive . . . and possibly racist.
    1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
    Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
    Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:35 pm
    O Really wrote:
    . . . in thousands of different religions, only one of which is the "correct" one. I'll be that each inappropriate "atta entity" is annoying.
    neoplacebo wrote:
    Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:30 pm
    ... I'll have fried chicken.
    As a Buddhist vegan, I find that offensive . . . and possibly racist.
    Ah, conflict comes calling on the religious line. Hello? Wassssup?

Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster

Pastor John Gray (and other pastors) trolled on social media for wearing $4,000 sneakers: 'The lord Jesus walked around in sandals'

The lord Yeezy sells sneakers for obscene prices.

ALL of my clothes are not worth $4,000 and never were.
    1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
    Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
    Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:48 am
    Pastor John Gray (and other pastors) trolled on social media for wearing $4,000 sneakers: 'The lord Jesus walked around in sandals'

I have a $4,000 pair of Jesus socks that I've never worn; got them from a dude who called himself the estimated prophet.

GoCubsGo
    Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
    Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:48 am

When these preacher types have to fly around on their multi million dollar private jets in the name of Jesus, appropriate footwear is a must.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... 3b41bbbd1c
    Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
    Superstar Cultmaster

Found:
    Hate the Christianity, love the Christian.
    :lol:
    1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
    Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

Rock Star turns his life around. GOD is good.
      "Brian wants people to understand that “it's never too late,” he says.
        https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... ocumentary

1 CAT FAN
        Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

Love this guy's movies.
          Tyler Perry - “So what I’ve used her as is as a tool to get people to laugh and relax so that I can talk about God, talk about faith, mention the name Jesus in my films. And it has worked; it’s served its purpose very well. I’ve seen lots of people who don’t go to church, who have no concept of God, who have never really thought about it, begin to change their lives because of something that was said in the film or something the character invited them to see.”
            http://www1.cbn.com/movies/tyler-perrys ... ive-movies

Vrede too
            Superstar Cultmaster

Not that I blame him, but Jesus is an anti-Catholic arsonist?

Woman claims to spot Jesus in photo of flaming Notre Dame Cathedral roof

Pfffft, that is OBVIOUSLY toga party John Belushi.
            1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
            Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
            Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:37 pm
            Not that I blame him, but Jesus is an anti-Catholic arsonist?

Woman claims to spot Jesus in photo of flaming Notre Dame Cathedral roof

Pfffft, that is OBVIOUSLY toga party John Belushi.
            Kinda looks like the anit-christ, tRump.
            Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
            Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
            Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:00 pm
            Kinda looks like the anit-christ, tRump.
            Comments:
            I always find hallucinations to be the the MOST compelling proof on any issue.
            In a related story, people are divided on whether in the image he's wearing a white and gold robe or a blue and black one.
            "I shared it and asked for people's opinions - even my brother in Australia said it looks like Jesus."

That's all the confirmation you need?
            There's this tree in my yard that, in the early morning light, often looks like Jesus, yet in the afternoon light looks like Dolly Parton.
            Says a bunch of people who don't even know what Jesus actually looked like. smh
            Well if Jesus was there to check out the fire, you would think he could have lent a hand, or a miracle, or something.
            maybe your god should have just prevented the fire in the first place
            Jesus Saves, feeds to Gretzky, he scores!!!
            1312. ETTD.