The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by O Really »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:09 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:53 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:24 pm
That reminds me of my only prayer....."please god, I'll never drink again." He didn't answer and I have continued on my sinful path ever since.
Do you trust your family? :o

Texas man accused of burning down home, killing brother, hurting mom, because they didn't follow Bible

Repent, sinner!
A lot of times on Sundays I'll put on Peter Gabriel's "Big Time" and bask in the idea of praying to a big god in a big church and how my heaven will be a big heaven and I will walk through the front door. It's inspiring. :-||
Jim Morrison had an opinion on that...

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

:lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Minister accused of giving teen meth and raping her at church, Texas police say

A Texas minister is accused of giving meth to a 15-year-old girl and raping her at church, police say.

Brian Pounds, 45, was charged with sexual assault of a child and delivery of a controlled substance to a minor, Vernon police say.

Pounds was a minister at First Assembly of God in Vernon, a city of about 11,000 in North Texas, but a church website no longer lists him as a leader....

Yeah, he'll do real well in prison.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: religion - Bible people disprove Bible

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

A rare and ancient tablet showing part of the epic of Gilgamesh, which had been acquired by Christian arts and crafts retailer Hobby Lobby for display in its museum of biblical artefacts, has been seized by the US government.

The Department of Justice (DoJ) alleges that the 3,600-year-old “Gilgamesh Dream Tablet”, which originated in a region that is now part of Iraq, was acquired in 2003 by an American antiquities dealer, “encrusted with dirt and unreadable”, from the family member of a London coin dealer. Once it had arrived in the US, and been cleaned, experts realised that it showed a portion of the Gilgamesh epic, one of the world’s oldest works of literature, in the Akkadian language
Thanks guys.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/ ... uthorities
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I suspect it won't be long before the other ancient tablet (the Balderdash Scream Tablet) is also unearthed and promptly confiscated.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: religion - Bible people disprove Bible

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:42 am
A rare and ancient tablet showing part of the epic of Gilgamesh, which had been acquired by Christian arts and crafts retailer Hobby Lobby for display in its museum of biblical artefacts, has been seized by the US government.

The Department of Justice (DoJ) alleges that the 3,600-year-old “Gilgamesh Dream Tablet”, which originated in a region that is now part of Iraq, was acquired in 2003 by an American antiquities dealer, “encrusted with dirt and unreadable”, from the family member of a London coin dealer. Once it had arrived in the US, and been cleaned, experts realised that it showed a portion of the Gilgamesh epic, one of the world’s oldest works of literature, in the Akkadian language
Thanks guys.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/ ... uthorities
... The forfeiture is part of efforts to return thousands of smuggled ancient Iraqi artefacts that were purchased by Hobby Lobby. In 2017, Hobby Lobby agreed to pay a $3m fine and forfeit thousands of artefacts. In a statement at the time, Green said the company had cooperated with the government and “should have exercised more oversight and carefully questioned how the acquisitions were handled”.

In March 2020, Green said in a statement that the museum had identified a further 5,000 papyri fragments and 6,500 clay objects with “insufficient provenance”, and that it was working to deliver them to officials in Egypt and Iraq respectively....
Seems that Hobby Lobby reeked of evil until getting caught. Why should we believe it's any more moral now?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Fucking insane

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:49 am
I suspect it won't be long before the other ancient tablet (the Balderdash Scream Tablet) is also unearthed and promptly confiscated.
Is it a chewy tablet (like Tums) or a fizzy tablet (like Alka Seltzer)?

Will ancient tablets reduce burning of the heartlands?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:51 pm
Fucking insane
Yup.

In Moscow, Idaho, conservative 'Christian Reconstructionists' are thriving amid evangelical turmoil

There goes the neighborhood. Bummer, Moscow has been a decent place by Idaho standards - college town, access to WA and OR, nearby mountains, blue/purple politics.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Doesn't the Book of Revelation predict this?
The New Chief Chaplain at Harvard? An Atheist.

The Puritan colonists who settled in New England in the 1630s had a nagging concern about the churches they were building: How would they ensure that the clergymen would be literate? Their answer was Harvard University, a school that was established to educate the ministry and adopted the motto “Truth for Christ and the Church.” It was named after a pastor, John Harvard, and it would be more than 70 years before the school had a president who was not a clergyman.

Nearly four centuries later, Harvard’s organization of chaplains has elected as its next president an atheist named Greg Epstein, who takes on the job this week.

Epstein, 44, author of the book “Good Without God,” is a seemingly unusual choice for the role. He will coordinate the activities of more than 40 university chaplains, who lead the Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist and other religious communities on campus. Yet many Harvard students — some raised in families of faith, others never quite certain how to label their religious identities — attest to the influence that Epstein has had on their spiritual lives....

To Epstein’s fellow campus chaplains, at least, the notion of being led by an atheist is not as counterintuitive as it might sound; his election was unanimous.

“Maybe in a more conservative university climate there might be a question like ‘What the heck are they doing at Harvard, having a humanist be the president of the chaplains?’” said Margit Hammerstrom, the Christian Science chaplain at Harvard. “But in this environment it works. Greg is known for wanting to keep lines of communication open between different faiths.” ,,,
:angel4: :clap:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Something else for the wingnuts to squawk about. And most of them would run god over in the street given half the chance. God stompers

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:06 pm
Something else for the wingnuts to squawk about. And most of them would run god over in the street given half the chance. God stompers
:thumbup:
Liberty University enacts campus-wide quarantine as COVID-19 surges

... Liberty University doesn't have a COVID-19 vaccination requirement for either students or faculty ...
:confusion-scratchheadblue: Why don't they just pray the virus away?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:29 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:06 pm
:thumbup:
Liberty University enacts campus-wide quarantine as COVID-19 surges

... Liberty University doesn't have a COVID-19 vaccination requirement for either students or faculty ...
:confusion-scratchheadblue: Why don't they just pray the virus away?
I'd say it's all that antiseptic living those kids engage in that's causing the problem. Hell, supposedly they don't fuck, don't get high, and don't get dirty. What a world. I have no doubt that there's more than a few of them that are just dying to get a leg up and cut loose on some full throttle big bore original sin. It may not cure any of them, but it sure as hell beats lying around feeling sick.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:50 am
I'd say it's all that antiseptic living those kids engage in that's causing the problem. Hell, supposedly they don't fuck, don't get high, and don't get dirty. What a world. I have no doubt that there's more than a few of them that are just dying to get a leg up and cut loose on some full throttle big bore original sin. It may not cure any of them, but it sure as hell beats lying around feeling sick.
They're learning to be hucksters or dupes:

Christian radio host gets three life sentences for cheating elderly listeners in $30m Ponzi scheme
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:05 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:50 am
They're learning to be hucksters or dupes:

Christian radio host gets three life sentences for cheating elderly listeners in $30m Ponzi scheme
As a testament to the long history of dupes, its been shown that many dupes actually want, and long to be, dupes. Especially of the religious variety. In fact, the existence of double dupes or even triple dupes can be documented. It proves that, in general, hucksters will not run out of dupes no matter what.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

rightsfox72 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:02 pm
I try to keep religion out of politics but in todays times, as a conservative, I feel like my representatives need the strong morals that come with it... it's just unfortunate that nowadays they're probably not above faking this too..
Ya think?🙄
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

rightsfox72 wrote:
I try to keep religion out of politics but in todays times, as a conservative, I feel like my representatives need the strong morals that come with it... it's just unfortunate that nowadays they're probably not above faking this too..
I hate to tell you this, but if you're a "conservative" today, that means religion...specifically white Protestant religion....is part of your package. And to further disillusion you, I get regular emails from my "representatives" in Congress, Marsha Blackburn, Bill Hagerty, and Diana Harshbarger. Each and every one of those are seriously lacking in the "strong morals" you profess to revere. I won't go into detail about any of these corrupt assholes but if you have any specific questions about why I have a fine distaste for each of them just let me know. I won't disappoint you.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

rightsfox72 wrote:
Do you know of any republicans with strong morals?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Colin Powell. No, wait. I guess I'll go with Adam Kinzinger. And back in 74, Senate Republicans rightly acted like Nixon was a stack of shit on fire they didn't want to be associated with. These days, virtually all Republicans seek out the brightest, most pungent flaming stack of shit among a plethora of choices and they shamelessly crow over their chosen one. sick fucks