The Cinema Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

The Other (1972 film)

The Other is a 1972 American horror psychological thriller film directed by Robert Mulligan, adapted for film by Thomas Tryon from his 1971 novel of the same name. It stars Uta Hagen, Diana Muldaur, and twins Chris and Martin Udvarnoky, with Victor French, John Ritter, and Jenny Sullivan in supporting roles.
:shock: Holy crap.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I remember it. Holy crap, indeed.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The Fly (1958 film)

Pretty good. I'd never seen it. I'll bet it was shocking in 1958.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:05 pm
The Fly (1958 film)

I saw the '85 version with Jeff Goldblum. Haven't seen the original.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:17 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:05 pm
The Fly (1958 film)

I saw the '85 version with Jeff Goldblum. Haven't seen the original.
Such different eras it's hard to compare, but I thought that one was well made, too.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Last night I watched the biggest part of "Bonnie and Clyde" on an old movie channel that was highlighting Gene Wilder. I had forgotten he was even in Bonnie and Clyde.....he played a sort of rich guy out with his girlfriend when Bonnie and Clyde stole his car with him and his girlfriend in it. They eventually let them go. The movie was actually his film debut, which I also did not know.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Disney is About the Take the Biggest Risk in the Company's 98-Year History
The cost of growth for its streaming video service may be high for the House of Mouse.

... Expanding the brand

Disney is entertaining the notion of expanding the catalog of programs shown on its flagship streaming service -- Disney+ -- to include more adult content. The matter is reportedly causing heated debates among top brass at the House of Mouse, with CEO Bob Chapek reportedly pushing for edgier content on the platform while chairman and former CEO Bob Iger believes the company should stick to its time-honored strategy....
Sweet!

I love to duck.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

😄
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Just watched this again:

Live Free or Die Hard (#4, 2007)

Pretty good action flick. Nonstop wild stunts.

Better than #3 and #5 got rotten reviews.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

One of the local stations has been showing "film noir" on Sundays. Last night I stuck in a double layer DVD blank and got four movies recorded. Today I went for the third, "Each Dawn I Die" "Where The Sidewalk Ends". Still haven't figured out how that title relates to the plot, LOL. Anyway, it's well acted, with James Cagney and George Raft in two main roles. I don't know how realistic it was, but if real prison life is anything like it's portrayed, it's brutal.

Cagney winds up in solitary and nearly loses his mind. Innocent, of course.

The other movies are: Laura; Where the Sidewalk Ends; Journey Into Fear.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:51 pm
3.6/10, tonight:
Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda (2014)
SYFY • TV-14 • CC

A half-shark, half-octopus battles a half-pterodactyl, half-barracuda.
I’m guessing that Conan O'Brien gets eaten. Yep:

:lol: Maybe I'll skip watching it.

Oooh, it's a double feature!
Sharktopus vs. Whalewolf (2015)
SYFY • TV-14 • CC

A half-shark, half-octopus battles a hybrid of a killer whale and a wolf.
2.9/10, the cost of not killing Conan.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:16 am
Whalewolfs are real.
:) If anyone would know . . .

I half-watched part of this movie on Mystery Science Theater 3000 :
Atlantic Rim (also known as Attack from Beneath, Attack from the Atlantic Rim and From the Sea) is a low budget 2013 American science fiction monster film produced by The Asylum and directed by Jared Cohn. Shot in Pensacola, Florida, the film stars Graham Greene, David Chokachi, Treach, and Jackie Moore.

The film was released direct-to-DVD on June 24, 2013 in the United Kingdom, and on July 9 in the United States. In the tradition of The Asylum's catalog, Atlantic Rim is a cheap mockbuster of the Warner Bros./Legendary Pictures film Pacific Rim....
Even Graham Greene is comically awful.

IMDb RATING 1.6/10. You must be so proud!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Just watched this again.
Trekkies is a 1997 documentary film directed by Roger Nygard about the devoted fans of Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek. It is the first film released by Paramount Vantage, then known as Paramount Classics, and is presented by Denise Crosby, best known for her portrayal of Security Chief Tasha Yar on the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
It holds up well. There's plenty to mock if one wishes, but the doc is affectionate, informative and never mean spirited.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Knives Out

Knives Out is a 2019 American mystery film written and directed by Rian Johnson and produced by Johnson and Ram Bergman. It follows a master detective investigating the death of the patriarch of a wealthy, dysfunctional family. The film features an ensemble cast including Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson, Toni Collette, Lakeith Stanfield, Katherine Langford, Jaeden Martell, and Christopher Plummer.
What a cast!
... The film received critical acclaim, particularly for its screenplay, direction, and acting, and it grossed $311.4 million worldwide against a $40 million budget. At the 77th Golden Globe Awards, it received three nominations in the Musical or Comedy category while also receiving Best Original Screenplay nominations at the 73rd British Academy Film Awards and 92nd Academy Awards. It was selected by the American Film Institute and the National Board of Review as one of the top ten films of 2019....
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Rotten Tomatoes
97% Critics, 92% Audience Score
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

An oldie that I'd never seen:
River's Edge

River's Edge is a 1986 American crime drama film directed by Tim Hunter, written by Neal Jimenez, and starring Crispin Glover, Keanu Reeves, Ione Skye Leitch, Daniel Roebuck and Dennis Hopper. It follows a group of teenagers in a Northern California town who are forced to deal with their friend's murder of his girlfriend Jamie, played by Danyi Deats, and the subsequent disposal of her body. Screenwriter Jimenez partially based the film's script on the 1981 murder of Marcy Renee Conrad in Milpitas, California.
I remember her murder and all the kids that saw the body before anyone reported it.
... Several critics praised the film's performances, and its subject matter resulted in several critics classifying it as a contemporary horror film. It was awarded Best Picture at the 1986 Independent Spirit Awards.

Contemporary film scholars have noted River's Edge as an example of the "killer kid" film, as well as one of the most polarizing youth-oriented films of the 1980s. In a 2015 retrospective, Salon deemed it "the darkest teen film of all time." The film features an original score by Jürgen Knieper, as well as a soundtrack featuring songs from various punk and metal bands, including Slayer, Agent Orange, and the Wipers.

Critical reception

River's Edge received largely positive reviews from critics. It holds an 88% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 40 reviews with the consensus: "A harrowing tale of aimless youth, River's Edge generates considerable tension and urgency thanks to strong performances from a stellar cast including Crispin Glover, Keanu Reeves and Ione Skye." At the time of its release, the film was noted by several critics as being a contemporary-day horror film.

Gene Siskel ranked River's Edge as the seventh best film of 1987, while Roger Ebert awarded the film three-and-a-half out of four stars, calling it "the best analytical film about a crime since The Onion Field and In Cold Blood." Michael Wilmington of the Los Angeles Times called the film "a contemporary horror story about teen-agers, but it contains no slasher scenes or serial homicides. Its monsters are all too real." The New York Times's Janet Maslin called the film "bitter and disturbing" and deemed the performances "natural and credible." Vincent Canby, also of The New York Times, named the film "the year's most riveting, most frightening horror film, even if doesn't really belong in the same category with any acknowledged classics of the genre. Metaphysics has nothing to do with River's Edge, though, like Dracula, it's a tale of the undead." David Ansen of Newsweek called the film "the scariest vision of youth since the alarming Brazilian movie Pixote... River's Edge pitches the audience inside this nightmare world of affectless middle-class kids and lets us watch them wallow their way through moral dilemmas they can only half articulate." John Simon of the National Review called River's Edge "splendid".

In a 2015 retrospective, Salon deemed River's Edge "the darkest teen film of all time." Film historian Kim Newman named the film "the definitive killer kid movie... Moral without moralizing, blackly comic without tastelessness, [and] acutely tuned in to the way dead-end teens talk."
I agree. :shock:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I came close to watching Rivers Edge yesterday, but opted for something lighter. I may give it a watch.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Once again I will recommend Rancho Deluxe with Jeff Bridges, Sam Watterson and others. It's pretty obscure but funny as hell. And the photography is amazing. I think it was shot in Montana or Wyoming. The soundtrack is by Jimmy Buffett.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:25 pm
Once again I will recommend Rancho Deluxe with Jeff Bridges, Sam Watterson and others. It's pretty obscure but funny as hell. And the photography is amazing. I think it was shot in Montana or Wyoming. The soundtrack is by Jimmy Buffett.
Montana. :thumbup:
Reaction

The film was described as a form of "parody Western" by critic Richard Eder in his Nov. 24, 1975 New York Times review. "It is so cool that it is barely alive," he wrote of the film's general tone. Among the positive elements: "Slim Pickens for once has a strongly written comic role. He plays it with great effect, and Charlene Dallas, as his sluttish assistant, is almost as good."
Looks like a goood movie. 8-)

Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times gave Rancho Deluxe only one-and-a-half out of four possible stars. He wrote: "I don't know how this movie went so disastrously wrong, but it did.
Funny, that's what folks say about neoplacebo. :P
On Rotten Tomatoes, Rancho Deluxe holds a rating of 70% from 20 reviews.
:clap:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Fuck Roger Ebert. Isn't he dead? Watch the movie. Don't take my word for it. I was impressed back when it came out and still recommend it. Roger is fucked up.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:58 pm
Fuck Roger Ebert. Isn't he dead? Watch the movie. Don't take my word for it. I was impressed back when it came out and still recommend it. Roger is fucked up.
:lol: Will do. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:16 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:58 pm
:lol: Will do. :thumbup:
Goddamnit, it comes with a hominy seal of approval. You can thank me later.