2024 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: 2024 Elections

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:50 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:51 pm

We elected someone who had never been in any kind of election.
Yes but Trump is a unicorn - and not in a good way.
But your unspoken point is well taken that Trump has lowered the bar and made it more likely that personality, image, as well as the ever-present piles of money might be more important than experience. And in some cases, mostly at state level, that hasn't been awful. Ventura in Minnesota, the Governator in California both got elected on name recognition and did much better than might be expected. Tubbyville, though, as an example is awful. Eventually we'll be governed by a bunch of actors, ex-sports people, and media influencers. Can we make Simone Biles Secretary of Energy?
Barkley for president! GovChuck!!!
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

There is a theory that if a person is successful in one area, they're more likely to be successful in something else even if there's some learning curve. That's why so many people think elected a "business" person is a good idea. IMNVHO, however, I think there are limits to that theory where the skills needed in the first success aren't applicable to the second. And that happens a lot in politics where reaching some level of consensus among opposing factions is more important for long-term success than being a "commander."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:50 am
Yes but Trump is a unicorn - and not in a good way.
But your unspoken point is well taken that Trump has lowered the bar and made it more likely that personality, image, as well as the ever-present piles of money might be more important than experience. And in some cases, mostly at state level, that hasn't been awful. Ventura in Minnesota, the Governator in California both got elected on name recognition and did much better than might be expected. Tubbyville, though, as an example is awful. Eventually we'll be governed by a bunch of actors, ex-sports people, and media influencers. Can we make Simone Biles Secretary of Energy?
That's silly. Next you'll be suggesting that a neurosurgeon and failed POTUS candidate with zero housing or other relevant credentials be named Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, or that an xtian madrassa grad and GQP donor with zero education credentials be named Secretary of Education. Oh wait . . .
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Only thing that can save this campaign is replacing the candidate.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Charlie Kirk, a longtime Trump backer and founder of the right-wing youth group Turning Point USA
Brit Hume, longtime host and analyst at Fox News

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/brit-hum ... 2bee9fc364

:laughing-rolling: :---P
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Repugs are truly dumber than dirt. Maybe they had to stick with Trump in 2020 and try to get him a second term. But they have a great opportunity to dump a guy that's way more trouble than he's worth and run somebody against a fairly weak Dem incumbent. They're not going to put up another McCain, or an actually good and likely winner like Larry Hogan, but they can do better than Trump.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:35 am
Repugs are truly dumber than dirt. Maybe they had to stick with Trump in 2020 and try to get him a second term. But they have a great opportunity to dump a guy that's way more trouble than he's worth and run somebody against a fairly weak Dem incumbent. They're not going to put up another McCain, or an actually good and likely winner like Larry Hogan, but they can do better than Trump.
I'm still fairly amazed that he won the primary in 2016. He tried unsuccessfully to hide who and what he really is, failed and still won the nomination.

He's everything I feared he'd be and worse. The only thing I'm surprised about is he didn't totally screw the pooch and get us into some armed, conflict.

I did underestimate how big a coward he is.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:45 am
O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:35 am
I'm still fairly amazed that he won the primary in 2016. He tried unsuccessfully to hide who and what he really is, failed and still won the nomination.

He's everything I feared he'd be and worse. The only thing I'm surprised about is he didn't totally screw the pooch and get us into some armed, conflict.

I did underestimate how big a coward he is.
His early inability to face the people he fired was more like a kid who inherited daddy's big company.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:53 am
His early inability to face the people he fired was more like a kid who inherited daddy's big company.
"like"? Too cowardly to debate, too. Too bad, the debates will be less entertaining:
Trump says he won't sign Republican loyalty pledge, flouting debate requirement

... Eight candidates say they have met qualifications to be on stage in Milwaukee, with former Vice President Mike Pence announcing this week he had secured enough donors. Candidates need to satisfy polling and donor requirements set by the Republican National Committee: at least 1% in three high-quality national polls or a mix of national and early-state polls, between July 1 and Aug. 21, and a minimum of 40,000 donors, with 200 in 20 or more states.

They also must sign a statement pledging not to participate in any debates not sanctioned by the party, including the general election debates sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates, and to support the winner of the Republican primary.

“I affirm that if I do not win the 2024 Republican nomination of President of the United States, I will honor the will of the primary voters and support the nominee in order to save our country and beat Joe Biden,” the pledge says, according to a copy posted by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to X, the social media site formerly known as Twitter. Candidates also must pledge not to run as an independent, write-in candidate or third-party nominee.

The pledge has been criticized by some candidates including Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson, who has been fiercely critical of Trump.

Only former Texas Rep. Will Hurd has said definitively that he will not sign the 2024 pledge, though he has not met the polling and fundraising thresholds required to attend. He said he won’t support Trump, who has been indicted three times, if he becomes the eventual nominee.
It is a :bs: pledge. Should Joltin' Joe promise to support homicidal wingnut RFK Jr? However, they're the GQP's debates. They can do what they want and pols can either bend over for the GQP or not.

Post-GOP walkout, Oregon elections chief says lawmakers with 10 or more absences can't run next term

The 10 Republican state senators in Oregon who racked up more than 10 unexcused absences during a walkout in the most recent legislative session can't run for reelection in 2024, the state’s elections chief said Tuesday.

Oregon Secretary of State LaVonne Griffin-Valade made the announcement in a news release to clear up confusion over how reelection rules would affect those senators. Under Measure 113, which was approved by voters in 2022, lawmakers with more than 10 unexcused absences were supposed to be disqualified from being reelected for the following term....
Opps. :lol:
After GOP lawmakers in Oregon boycotted the Legislature in 2019, 2020 and 2021, voters last November approved a ballot measure by an almost 70% margin that was supposed to stop walkouts. Lawmakers with 10 or more unexcused absences would be disqualified from being reelected in the next term, according to the measure’s title and summary....

Senate Republican Minority Leader Tim Knopp was among the 10 GOP senators with more than 10 unexcused absences during the 2023 legislative session, which ended in June after being stalled by the six-week walkout — the longest-ever to grip the Oregon Legislature....
:---P

Measure 113: Background and provisions

You lose, obstructionist crybabies. Learn how to compromise with Dems and improve at the ballot box, instead.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Now that's funny! Idiots knew the 10-absence rule had passed and stayed out anyway. Concepts like cutting off noses and stepping on own dicks come to mind.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

There are certainly different ways this could go. Trainwreck is my first thought.

But it's certainly weird.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:48 pm
There are certainly different ways this could go. Trainwreck is my first thought.

But it's certainly weird.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/stat ... 7636805633
They'll allow it for a fee. Gotta pay off that Dominion settlement somehow.

One stone, two birds:

'Completely Full Of It': Chris Christie Gives Newsmax Host Blunt Trump Fact-Check

Newsmax parrot TRE45QN? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

Comments:
I'm not a fan of Chris Christie in general, but I have to give him credit for being fearless when it comes to telling the truth about Trump and backing it up with excellent points!
While I would never vote for Christie...I do wish there were more Republicans who would stand up and defy Trumpism. I will never understand how rational Republicans let their party get away from them
Christie is a prime reason of why trump is scared to debate and won’t do the first one. Christie and several of the other candidates will focus on the failed trump presidency and trump couldn't deal with that. trump lies and his promises mean nothing. Democrats and Independents have known this for a long time, it’s nice to see Republicans waking up.
Why is Christie only at 3%? Even with the GOP MAGA majority supporting Trump you would think there are more than 3% tired of the GOP trash and support someone with backbone to stand up against Trump.
Nice to have someone in their party owning up to the truth. Not a big fan of Christie, we all remember he was a staunch Trumper back in the day, but at least he is coming clean now. How about more honesty in government.
For Trump, the debate has no up-side. For Christie, the debate has no down-side.

Trump won’t show, and we’ll be deprived of some entertaining political theater.
I admire Christie for telling the truth and putting the facts out there. Ask him who won the last election. He can answer that question in 2 seconds. The other Republican candidates take about 10 minutes explaining their views on it.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:25 am

Didn't see that mentioned anywhere but you may be correct.

It's probably gonna be a nothingburger without trump anyway (and with trump it would be a cagefight), but if the other candidates all ganged up on the "defenseless" trump it might be worth watching.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:38 am
Vrede too wrote:

It's probably gonna be a nothingburger without trump anyway (and with trump it would be a cagefight), but if the other candidates all ganged up on the "defenseless" trump it might be worth watching.
Christie and Asa will still trash Dolt .45. Most of the others will whine that they're showcasing themselves rather than dis the frontrunner, and will rapidly change the subject. :yawn:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:45 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:38 am
Vrede too wrote:

Christie and Asa will still trash Dolt .45. Most of the others will whine that they're showcasing themselves rather than dis the frontrunner, and will rapidly change the subject. :yawn:
:lol: hence the nothingburger. Plus it will be devoid of ideas and visions of the future unless Back to the Future counts.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I predict a lot of "we need to focus on the future, not the past" with a few "we need a new generation of leaders" thrown in. Universal denial that their front runner is criminally insane.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

We be classy and shit

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/1 ... r-00110992

"Hours before Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis descended on the Iowa State Fair for rare, in person, dual events, supporters for each of the leading candidates were at each other’s throats, including at a dive bar in the capital city."

"Trump supporters, who seemed eager to not just disrupt the Florida governor but to get a rise out of his team. Sitting down for a fair-side chat with Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds, DeSantis was drowned out by bells and whistles"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:12 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:45 am
:lol: hence the nothingburger. Plus it will be devoid of ideas and visions of the future unless Back to the Future counts.
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:18 pm
I predict a lot of "we need to focus on the future, not the past" with a few "we need a new generation of leaders" thrown in. Universal denial that their front runner is criminally insane.
Ron DeSantis' Allies Push Tried-And-Failed Pro-Trump Debate Strategy
The Florida governor risks repeating the mistakes of Donald Trump’s Republican rivals in 2016.

Republican strategists behind a super PAC supporting the White House bid of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) are advising him to adopt a not-so-novel approach to the first GOP primary debate: Defend former President Donald Trump and attack other rivals.

Axiom Strategies, a consulting firm affiliated with the pro-DeSantis group, Never Back Down, recommends that DeSantis “attack” President Joe Biden, the media and Republican hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy, but defend Trump “in absentia in response to a Chris Christie attack,” according to a two-page strategy memorandum that was available on the firm’s website but deleted after The New York Times began reporting on its contents Thursday....
Bizarrely, in contrast:
Ron DeSantis PAC Hits Trump's Sore Spots In Scathing New Attack Ad
DeSantis' campaign is turning increasingly desperate as the 2024 GOP contender fades in polls.

DeSantis was once considered a formidable challenger to Trump for the 2024 presidential nomination, with polls showing him neck-and-neck with the former president and even beating him in some cases.

But DeSantis’ “woke” obsessions haven’t resonated with voters, and he’s fading in the polls. Surveys now show Trump leading by up to 40 percentage points, and DeSantis has fallen to third place in some.
:wtf: A competent leader would not tolerate such mixed messaging.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:26 pm
So far it doesn't look like dems will make an attempt to run anyone against rick scott. We have a retired navy vet who lost to matti-G by about 30 points in the running.
I remain disappointed with my party.
Ricky is getting primaried:

'Tanning Mom' Patricia Krentcil Announces Run For Florida Senate Seat

:lol:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:22 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:26 pm
So far it doesn't look like dems will make an attempt to run anyone against rick scott. We have a retired navy vet who lost to matti-G by about 30 points in the running.
I remain disappointed with my party.
Ricky is getting primaried:

'Tanning Mom' Patricia Krentcil Announces Run For Florida Senate Seat

:lol:
Face tattoos?