The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by neoplacebo »

A tragic but true story; yesterday evening I fired up my grill for the first time in over a year to grill a nice pork tenderloin. Got everything all set, grill cleaned off and fire going (good charcoal, no gas) and commenced to grill once things were ready. Well, after I pronounced the tenderloin done, I put the fork in it and placed it on my plate and when I reached down to put the cover back on the grill I dropped the fucking tenderloin on the ground. This resulted in a brief stream of indignant profanity and dispassionate sympathy for the soiled loin. It was not a good feeling. Anyway, I went back in and ate the fucker and pretended that it was never dropped. It was a good lesson in the sense that denial of the facts never works, especially if you're the denier and know the facts.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

:lol: :lol:
Everybody who's ever grilled much at all has dropped something. I can't imagine throwing it out.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Rinse, reheat, eat.
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:08 pm
.....I know that some of those tuna, like a single fish (they're about the size of a man) can sell for 60 or 70 thousand bucks right out of the water....
Answer #4:
In January, a single ________ tuna sold for $3.1 million during the first auction of the year in ________. ________ is also the most depleted tuna species; decades of overfishing have left the population at less than 4 percent of its historic size.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:56 pm
:lol: :lol:
Everybody who's ever grilled much at all has dropped something. I can't imagine throwing it out.
Thanks for the support; nobody saw me drop it or eat it. It never happened.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:04 pm
Rinse, reheat, eat.
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:08 pm
.....I know that some of those tuna, like a single fish (they're about the size of a man) can sell for 60 or 70 thousand bucks right out of the water....
Answer #4:
In January, a single ________ tuna sold for $3.1 million during the first auction of the year in ________. ________ is also the most depleted tuna species; decades of overfishing have left the population at less than 4 percent of its historic size.
On your original can't carry a tuna post, it says take the test here but I never saw and still don't see any link to a tuna test, so I can't take credit for answer 4 since I am a virgin tuna test taker. But I say goddam, one fish for three million and change? Are you sure this wasn't a mistaken vintage Belgian tuba bid? in any case, had I caught that 3.1 fish, I would have ended my tuna/tuba gig at that moment and asked for forgiveness from Neptune. I just realized this could be a trump "fake tuna" and is actually worth about 30 thousand. Barr a cuda will decide about this in a decision based on cod i fied statute and precedent. For a finale, I am figuring to have leftover dropped tenderloin shortly but will feel the guilt.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:lol:
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:34 pm
On your original can't carry a tuna post, it says take the test here but I never saw and still don't see any link to a tuna test, so I can't take credit for answer 4 since I am a virgin tuna test taker....
Weird, I can still see the quiz. Not a "link", scroll down. Anyone else?

I feel bad that you're missing this opportunity to tuna up your tuna knowledge.

O Really
Admiral

I got link. But I'm pretty sure I know everything I need to know about Tuna. (1) how to cook it; (2) how to eat it; (3) where to get the good stuff...

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:04 pm
:lol:
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:34 pm
On your original can't carry a tuna post, it says take the test here but I never saw and still don't see any link to a tuna test, so I can't take credit for answer 4 since I am a virgin tuna test taker....
Weird, I can still see the quiz. Not a "link", scroll down. Anyone else?

I feel bad that you're missing this opportunity to tuna up your tuna knowledge.
could be because this computer is about ten years old. and don't feel bad for me, argentuna. I can tuna things in or tuna things out as needed. Or if I get desperate I can listen to my cd of Christmas tunas; usually makes me cry.

O Really
Admiral

Question: What do you call a 10-year old computer?
(a) Boat anchor
(b) Doorstop
(c) Wheel chock
(d) Netscape

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Anyone got a good recipe for spaghetti Bolognese?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:27 pm
Anyone got a good recipe for spaghetti Bolognese?
Dunno, but if they don't have it at allrecipes.com, it's probably not worth making.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:37 pm
I got link. But I'm pretty sure I know everything I need to know about Tuna. (1) how to cook it; (2) how to eat it; (3) where to get the good stuff...
https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/2019- ... lphin-safe

There are a lot of tuna brands, and the labels can be confusing. Which tuna has the lowest impact on marine life?

May not apply to you: Greenpeace USA: Tuna Shopping Guide
And is tuna safe to eat in the first place, given concerns about mercury?

... As for mercury poisoning, you're right to be concerned. At this point, nearly all fish and shellfish contain trace amounts of mercury—a potent toxin that can cause damage to the brain and nervous system. Children, nursing mothers, and women who are pregnant or plan to become pregnant need to be cautious about eating seafood. The EPA says that pregnant and nursing women may consume up to three four-ounce servings of canned light tuna (including skipjack) or one four-ounce serving of yellowfin, albacore, or white tuna from its Best Choices list per week. Children may have one or two two-ounce servings per week.

You can reduce your risk by eating fish known to have lower amounts of mercury, such as salmon, sardines, herring, and trout. Check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium's handy Seafood Watch recommendations at seafoodwatch.org.
Because of ocean depletion concerns I don't eat any seafood, but I don't think that I would eat any food where only one or three four-ounce servings per week are thought to be safe, anyhow.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

The only tuna I've ever eaten is from the can. I have never understood how they manage to catch the cans; must use some kind of net.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:43 pm
The only tuna I've ever eaten is from the can. I have never understood how they manage to catch the cans; must use some kind of net.
Magnets, silly.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:46 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:43 pm
Magnets, silly.
silly me :o

flash update: grilled out beef filet tonight and did not drop any. It said on the label "ass fed USDA choice" but I think it should have said "grass fed." At the time I thought, hell, that's backward; ass fed beef is an exercise in futility, not to mention it's probably very labor intensive.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:48 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:37 pm
https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/2019- ... lphin-safe

There are a lot of tuna brands, and the labels can be confusing. Which tuna has the lowest impact on marine life?

May not apply to you: Greenpeace USA: Tuna Shopping Guide
And is tuna safe to eat in the first place, given concerns about mercury?

... As for mercury poisoning, you're right to be concerned. At this point, nearly all fish and shellfish contain trace amounts of mercury—a potent toxin that can cause damage to the brain and nervous system. Children, nursing mothers, and women who are pregnant or plan to become pregnant need to be cautious about eating seafood. The EPA says that pregnant and nursing women may consume up to three four-ounce servings of canned light tuna (including skipjack) or one four-ounce serving of yellowfin, albacore, or white tuna from its Best Choices list per week. Children may have one or two two-ounce servings per week.

You can reduce your risk by eating fish known to have lower amounts of mercury, such as salmon, sardines, herring, and trout. Check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium's handy Seafood Watch recommendations at seafoodwatch.org.
Because of ocean depletion concerns I don't eat any seafood, but I don't think that I would eat any food where only one or three four-ounce servings per week are thought to be safe, anyhow.
If you really gotta cook it, smoke it. 140 to 170 degrees for about an hour or two, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and serve with a sesame oil base vinaigrette and a little slaw.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"Forage fish—small, nutrient-rich fish like herring and anchovies—are critical food sources for whales and other marine life. But better protections are needed to conserve them. Urge your elected officials to support new legislation."

Take Action: Ask Your Member of Congress to Protect Forage Fish
Urge your representative to protect ocean ecosystems!

O Really
Admiral

Fair/festival food in Xtreme...
Calgary Stampede

https://www.calgarystampede.com/stamped ... idway-food

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Are you there or just wishing you were?

Cheesy Ramen Dog
Corndog King

Wrapped in creamy cheddar cheese, dipped in our classic Corndog King Batter and paired with crunchy ramen noodles, it’s a Cheesy Ramen Corndog fusion at its finest!

Deep-fried Twizzlers™
Deep Fried Sweets Too!

Just when you thought Twizzlers couldn’t get any better, we’ve dipped them in a delicious batter and deep-fried them until golden brown and then sprinkled them with icing sugar and drizzled them in chocolate.