War on Women

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: War on Women

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:26 pm
What was the average size of a family back then?
Here...
https://www.infoplease.com/us/household ... -1790-2006

Do you know about the google?
Or...
https://www.thoughtco.com/americans-tal ... dc-3321552

:D
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

O Really wrote:
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:19 pm
Here...

What’s that? Didn’t you guys have large families back then? They didn’t have condom commercials on television back then, not that it helps today.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:09 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:49 am
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:57 am
You didn’t have those problems in the 50’s & 60’s did you?
Childbirth has always been dangerous, and 1-year survival after birth used to be sketchy. Difference now is that most of what used to cause the danger can be avoided or prevented with proper care. But the cost of that care and the accessibility of it cuts out a lot of people who, because of different conditions, are often worse off than they would have been a hundred or so years ago when people knew something about home births.
My mom had three sisters and two brothers and one infant brother that died shortly after being born. Her mother was born in 1898 and died in 1983. I died at birth and was resurrected after being taken to a Guatemalan bush doctor; the bill was $8.53
See there, you have nothing to complain about. How old are you, Neo? BTW, these modern cars are great, but there’s nothing like the Hot Rods & Muscle Cars back then.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:05 pm
O Really wrote:
Here...

Or...
https://www.thoughtco.com/americans-tal ... dc-3321552

:D
How’s your blood pressure, the old ticker still pumping good?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Tell Congress: Pass the Not Invisible Act of 2019

Eighty-four percent of indigenous women experience physical, sexual or psychological violence in their lifetime. One in 2 indigenous women will also experience sexual violence, and indigenous women are 10 times more likely to be murdered as compared to the national average.

The lack of federal response to this epidemic is a crisis rooted in a legacy of violence and racism. The Not Invisible Act of 2019 is bipartisan legislation to address this crisis. The bill would create an advisory committee of local, tribal and federal agencies to coordinate efforts to prevent and protect indigenous women from violence and put the national spotlight on this silent crisis. Congress needs to act now.

Indigenous women have experienced historical violence and brutality – and that violence still exists today. Indigenous women experience some of the highest rates of violence and murder within the United States, and 86% of this violence is committed by non-indigenous people. The racism that created the Trail of Tears and the Long Walk is the same racism causing violence against indigenous communities today. The rape and sexual violence of indigenous women stems from a violent history of colonization and conquest of indigenous tribes and land – explaining why present-day perpetrators of violence against indigenous women are mainly from outside of their own communities....
1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

I’m beginning to get suspicious, are you a woman?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:12 pm
I’m beginning to get suspicious, are you a woman?
Must be, because we all know no man is going to care about womens' rights, health, or treatment. :roll:

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Does she have a gun like your woman?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A Hollywood boycott of GA is underway. Where commitments have already been made:

J.J. Abrams, Jordan Peele Condemn Georgia Abortion Law, Will Donate Show (HBO drama Lovecraft Country) Proceeds to Fight It

Remember, the governorship was fat out stolen by the sleazy then Sec. of State.
1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Isn’t that where The Walking Dead is filmed too?

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

I may have said this before, somewhere (I'm too lazy to search), but having a pretty decent knack for mimicry, I often adopt an accent and tell people I'm from Scotland or Ireland. Anywhere but Alabama. I will be, of course, going to the funeral here shortly, but I foresee in the near future a crisis in my marriage when I no longer can stomach a visit to Alabama. In addition to the non-stop donald frederickovich blow job, I will also have to endure the stupid, evangelical hick commentary about "baby killers."
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

I think if it were me, I'd offer the following comments/choices to Lady Boatrocker:
1. I really really don't want to go visit your family. You know that I'm very uncomfortable and that the only things I can do are to (a) suck it up and accept the toxic environment or (b) be rude and argumentative to them. Casual conversation isn't an option.

2. I'm pretty sure they don't care if they ever see me again.

3. If it's truly important to you that I go, we should stay at a hotel so I have some opportunity to be away from them, and I will take advantage of that opportunity a lot.

4. If I have to go and we have to stay with them, I will take every chance to get out by myself (or with you if you want to come along), but I absolutely cannot sit around with them any longer listening to their politics and religion.

5. If you go visit them by yourself, I'll be sure to do something majorly nice for you - what would you like?

Or, you could just go, be a total asshole, start fights and your wife would get told never to bring you back, but that probably wouldn't set so well with Lady B. ;)

O Really
Admiral

Boatrocker wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:44 am
I often adopt an accent and tell people I'm from Scotland or Ireland. Anywhere but Alabama.
That's always been interesting to me - people don't really care where you're from, they're just making small talk, but they do always try to fit you into the stereotype of whatever place you name. Say you were born in New Jersey, and they'll say "Oh, you're from Joisey" nevermind that you only lived there until you were 6 months old and nobody there really says "Joisey" anyway. Same thing with Alabama - you have to wear the stereotypes even though you're entirely different. Don't take the blame for somebody else's culture.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Boatrocker wrote:
I may have said this before, somewhere (I'm too lazy to search), but having a pretty decent knack for mimicry, I often adopt an accent and tell people I'm from Scotland or Ireland. Anywhere but Alabama. I will be, of course, going to the funeral here shortly, but I foresee in the near future a crisis in my marriage when I no longer can stomach a visit to Alabama. In addition to the non-stop donald frederickovich blow job, I will also have to endure the stupid, evangelical hick commentary about "baby killers."
O Really is always a font of measured wisdom.

If divorce must happen - from Alabama, not Ms. Boatrocker - my mind went straight to the grand gesture:

End every sentence with ‘bless you, Doug Jones.’
Get a dog and name it 'Margaret Sanger'. Extra credit: let it off leash in the neighborhood on a visit and run around yelling 'Margaret Sanger'!
Burn a Roy Moore poster on the courthouse steps.
Send a coat hanger to all for Independence Day.
Make a big enough donation to Planned Parenthood in the family's name that they put a plaque on some clinic.
Paint your car with the Clemson, LSU or FL colors and logo for your final visit.
Grow a beard, wear a yarmulke, chant ‘Om’, put a red dot on your forehead and pray to the East 5 times a day.
Announce that you are bisexual or transgender but will be staying married.
Rent a space and invite everyone to celebrate a Civil War battle:
Battle of Day's Gap, Alabama's first
Battle of Mobile Bay, "Damn the Trumpettes, full speed ahead!"
Battle of Selma
Battle of Fort Blakeley
Others
Or, just work it into every conversation that the CSA did not win a single battle in Alabama.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Vrede too on Thu May 16, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:15 am
Boatrocker wrote:
I often adopt an accent and tell people I'm from Scotland or Ireland. Anywhere but Alabama.
That's always been interesting to me - people don't really care where you're from, they're just making small talk, but they do always try to fit you into the stereotype of whatever place you name. Say you were born in New Jersey, and they'll say "Oh, you're from Joisey" nevermind that you only lived there until you were 6 months old and nobody there really says "Joisey" anyway. Same thing with Alabama - you have to wear the stereotypes even though you're entirely different. Don't take the blame for somebody else's culture.
Weird; I was born in an Army hospital in NJ and only lived there the first six months of my life. :shock:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:36 pm
Weird; I was born in an Army hospital in NJ and only lived there the first six months of my life. :shock:
Oh, you're from Joisey, that explains the divergence from E. TN norms. You and Whack 9 are hominies.

Yeah, watch out for that O Really, he's psycho. His entire time in AF Intel he never read, listened to or talked to a source. He just "knew" what the enemy was up to.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:21 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:36 pm
Oh, you're from Joisey, that explains the divergence from E. TN norms. You and Whack 9 are hominies.

Yeah, watch out for that O Really, he's psycho. His entire time in AF Intel he never read, listened to or talked to a source. He just "knew" what the enemy was up to.
Yeah, when I read his post, I sort of went :o damn. It was like something from an oracle or at least a great phrenologist. I like to pretend I'm from Denmark.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

You guys are no fucking help . . . except where my general attitude of the day is concerned. Thanks for that.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:06 am
I think if it were me, I'd offer the following comments/choices to Lady Boatrocker:
1. I really really don't want to go visit your family. You know that I'm very uncomfortable and that the only things I can do are to (a) suck it up and accept the toxic environment or (b) be rude and argumentative to them. Casual conversation isn't an option.

2. I'm pretty sure they don't care if they ever see me again.

3. If it's truly important to you that I go, we should stay at a hotel so I have some opportunity to be away from them, and I will take advantage of that opportunity a lot.

4. If I have to go and we have to stay with them, I will take every chance to get out by myself (or with you if you want to come along), but I absolutely cannot sit around with them any longer listening to their politics and religion.

5. If you go visit them by yourself, I'll be sure to do something majorly nice for you - what would you like?

Or, you could just go, be a total asshole, start fights and your wife would get told never to bring you back, but that probably wouldn't set so well with Lady B. ;)
I wish it were that cut and dried. These people have been my family, for 43 years. I have always gotten on very well with most of them. Given, it has always required me to avoid religious discussions, and I did not engage much in political discourse, mostly because I did not relish talking politics.
Even as I began drifting to the left, I was not so put off by their RWingy-ness as I was just not going to engage in debate. The issues were not that dire and our ideologies we just not that far apart. But all that shit changed with the election of Obama, who counted me among his voters, twice. The hateful, racist bullshit emails, the eagerness with which they dived into the birther bullshit and the Moozlum bullshit, all that shit just caught me off guard, coming from people whom I, mostly, found to be intelligent, thoughtful people with differing politics. And since 2016 I have, right or wrong, begun to question everything I once believed about people I loved. And still struggle to love. I know my wife's heart; I know she is very put off by the trumpsucking and doesn't understand it any more than I do. She is struggling, as well. But she in invested by blood; I am not, I have come to realize, and I don't know where I stand anymore.
I really isn't as simple as I wish it were, even as I find myself unable to be silent any longer.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Well, you do have my sympathy, Boat - I've lost a few friends and acquaintances over politics since Trump. They were always garden-variety conservatives, but we could disagree amiably. Then after Trump they just became intolerable, more extreme in positions, less congenial in tone, and still they were the ones that dumped me. And these weren't even Alabamians who might have voted for somebody like Roy Moore.