The Global Warming thread.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The Global Warming thread.

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Strange; looks as if the blade itself blew up. In a 10 or 15mph wind, the ends of those blades are moving over 100mph and at their rated maximum wind speed the tips of the blades are moving at about 180mph. trump will probably cite this as proof that the noise from wind generators is harmful both to humans and the machine.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I haven't seen any follow-up to that incident, but it did occur to me that if a blade that big and that thick broke, it would make a very "explosive" sound.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:15 pm
Strange; looks as if the blade itself blew up. In a 10 or 15mph wind, the ends of those blades are moving over 100mph and at their rated maximum wind speed the tips of the blades are moving at about 180mph. trump will probably cite this as proof that the noise from wind generators is harmful both to humans and the machine.
We'll have to keep a close eye on the cancer rates in Pontypool and Bethany. Do they go down with the turbine out of service, or is that outweighed by a spike caused by the "loud squealing sound, then an explosion"?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:33 pm
I haven't seen any follow-up to that incident, but it did occur to me that if a blade that big and that thick broke, it would make a very "explosive" sound.
I thought so, too. Looks like they're fiberglass. If you think about it, anything that hits one of them (bird, trash, drone, whatever) while its turning and impacts near the end of a blade, it ain't gonna be good. Let's just hope that the safety mechanism that prevents the hub from rotating in the event of damage wasn't something they made an option. I'd hate to see one those things rattle itself to death. Or hear it.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:49 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:15 pm
We'll have to keep a close eye on the cancer rates in Pontypool and Bethany. Do they go down with the turbine out of service, or is that outweighed by a spike caused by the "loud squealing sound, then an explosion"?
Not sure. I always figured it was a cumulative effect; like X rays or arsenic poisoning. But it's conceivable that one large dose could trigger an onset or even a fucking epidemic. Prohibition has failed but it gives me myriad viewpoints and ideas. If they put little devices on the blades that made cricket sounds, this whole stupid thing wouldn't be an issue. shit

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:34 pm
... According to another article, the people living close by heard a loud squealing sound, then an explosion. It would sound like a burned out bearing, I suppose, the unexplained "explosion" part is a bit strange....
This might explain the noise and the damage to the turbine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVoSVnPMSI
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Cursory search finds numerous incidents, but no absolutely solid causes. Here's one that sounds pretty reasonable:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-hurri ... o-explode/

O Really
Admiral

Anytime an article starts out with "largest transfer of wealth" you know the content will be suspect, but this is an interesting article about wind power in Ontario. http://www.windontario.ca/

And of course an alternate view:
https://canwea.ca/wind-energy/ontario-market-profile/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Your message will be sent to:

Department of Energy Secretary Rick Perry, DOE officials
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

That Rhodes Scholarship ain't looking so great now.

'Aliens breeding with humans' is key to solving climate change, claims Oxford professor

Whew, I'm glad that someone has figured it out.
1312. ETTD.

elephanter

Unread post by elephanter »

What do you think of Greta Thunberg, schoolgirl climate change warrior?
Think we should be at school? Today’s climate strike is the biggest lesson of all
We are among the young people striking against climate change in every corner of the globe – adults should join us too
t started in front of the Swedish parliament, on 20 August – a regular school day. Greta Thunberg sat with her painted sign and some homemade flyers. This was the first school climate strike. Fridays wouldn’t be regular schooldays any longer. The rest of us, and many more alongside us, picked it up in Australia, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, New Zealand, Uganda. Today the climate strike will take place all around the world.

This movement had to happen, we didn’t have a choice. We knew there was a climate crisis. Not just because forests in Sweden or in the US had been on fire; because of alternating floods and drought in Germany and Australia; because of the collapse of alpine faces due to melting permafrost and other climate changes. We knew, because everything we read and watched screamed out to us that something was very wrong.

That first day of refusing to go to school was spent alone, but since then a movement of climate strikers has swept the globe. Today young people in more than 100 countries will walk out of class to demand action on the greatest threat humankind has ever faced.
Pathetic :roll:
If the climate really changes, half the world's population will die anyway. The US population will flee to flee to Canada, and the population of Europe will flee to Russia. Today, a Russian businessman is buying property in France like this, tomorrow the French will start buying up property in Siberia like that lol

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

elephanter wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:32 am

Pathetic :roll: ...
Greta Thunberg is "Pathetic :roll: " ?
1312. ETTD.

elephanter

Unread post by elephanter »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:26 am
elephanter wrote:

Skiping school in the name of climate change is.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

elephanter wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:02 am
Skiping [sic, irony] school in the name of climate change is.
A day of civic action in an attempt to forestall "half the world's population will die" is a more valuable education than a single day of school. Besides, they're mostly just exiting for one class, and are often doing so with school approval. Don't be a Henny Penny about it.

Even leaving aside the particular issue, there's huge value in global student solidarity for positive change. Would you rather that youth be uncaring and defeatist like you are?

Anyhow, I've generally found that whining about what kids do is "Pathetic :roll: ".
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

elephanter wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:02 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:26 am
elephanter wrote:

Skiping school in the name of climate change is.
What excuse did you use for "skiping" spelling class? :lol:
And what cause would you find worthy of skipping class?

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:03 pm
That Rhodes Scholarship ain't looking so great now.

'Aliens breeding with humans' is key to solving climate change, claims Oxford professor

Whew, I'm glad that someone has figured it out.
Image #16,643

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:26 am
What excuse did you use for "skiping" spelling class? :lol:
And what cause would you find worthy of skipping class?
SKYPING?

Tell Congress to recommit the U.S. to global climate action!
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Seventy percent of the earth is covered by water. If the earth warms, then there is evaporation that goes into the atmosphere. According to Newton's First Law of Physics, what goes up must come down,” ____ said. “That means it will rain more and more places. It might rain harder in some places, it might snow in some of those places. But it's surely gotta shrink the deserts and expand the green growth, there's surely got to be some good in that. So I just look at the other, good side,”

Besides, we must endeavor to look after our lawn mower brides.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:15 pm
Seventy percent of the earth is covered by water. If the earth warms, then there is evaporation that goes into the atmosphere. According to Newton's First Law of Physics, what goes up must come down,” ____ said. “That means it will rain more and more places. It might rain harder in some places, it might snow in some of those places. But it's surely gotta shrink the deserts and expand the green growth, there's surely got to be some good in that. So I just look at the other, good side,”
It is (Iowa) and will rain more in SOME places, but I'm not sure about "shrink the deserts" due to more heat and evaporation in most places. ;)
Besides, we must endeavor to look after our lawn mower brides.
:D Iowa Congressman Steve King, of course:
https://iowastartingline.com/2015/08/05 ... -happened/ (article)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT67wVE5810

He has been reelected twice since then. :roll:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Nuts. Has anybody been to Iowa? The state has no shortage of wingnuts, but it's no longer the slice of typical America that it was in like 1950 or even 1980. I think it's overrated. Steve King is an example. I figure the only thing to save them will be the trump Corn Hole Tower Hotel and Cornvention Center and massive amounts of glowing reviews of it that will prove to be all lies. And it won't matter.