Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

By Seth Milner's victimized "reasoning" any public or private institution that doesn't overtly recognize Ramadan is conducting a "War on Islam".
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I'm not sure if it were my choice that I would have shut down Linus. The play itself is pretty old, well-known, and - other than Linus' soliloquy - not particularly religious. Nevertheless, it was clearly just a case of high caution on the part of the school. Not any kind of "battle" in the "war." I'd think differently, however, if what was at issue was the principal giving Linus' speech defining the "true meaning of Christmas." But as a part of a Peanuts play, spoken by a character...I'd probably have let it go.

But I like Christmas, and often wish people "Merry Christmas" as well as "Happy Holidays." The O Really winter residence has a table-top tree, and a wreath on the front of the rig. We give gifts and send some cards. Yet how can that be since I'm not religious? To celebrate the holidays, must I adhere to a specific version of Christmas? I'm required to do baby in the feed trough in order to qualify to also do Santa? I can't put up a Menorah along with my little tree? Yeah, the "war" isn't on Christmas. It's on those who celebrate non-Christian holidays.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:
O Really wrote:That's your best example of a "war on Christmas"?
Not the best, no. Is that not a legitimate example?
Not if it's a public school. In that case it would be separation of church and state.

If you're concerned about a "war" against your religion, then you WANT this. Remember, the folks on the Mayflower were fleeing religious persecution by a state religion. That state religion was not only Christianity, but it was a sect of Christianity closely related to and almost identical to their own.

Or to put it in terms for fundamentalists to understand: Most Americans now support same-sex marriage and the percentage is only increasing. The number of Christian denominations supporting and performing same-sex marriages is increasing. The same goes for treating women as equals and allowing them in senior church positions. As a fundamentalist would you really want government and the majority to teach these positions in public school? Or would it be better to keep religion out of schools?

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Last edited by Seth Milner on Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Last edited by Seth Milner on Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

People are mocking the Oregon 'militia' on social media by calling them 'YallQaeda' and 'VanillaISIS'
So some religious militants took over some territory, threaten violence, and are calling for like-minded believers to join them. #YallQaeda
Every successful revolution starts with takeover of closed visitor center with gift shop. #OregonUnderAttack #YallQaeda
#YallQaeda waging #YeeHawd on America and we're still calling it a "peaceful protest." It's domestic terrorism and we need to shut it down.
Currently #YallQaeda is engaged in an act of #YeeHawd in rural Oregon in defense of arsonists. If successfully they will get 72 strippers.
Some other great suggestions from my mentions: #YokelHaram #YeeHawdists #VanillaISIS #Talibundy https://t.co/mHTopQFx0z
:D
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote:
People are mocking the Oregon 'militia' on social media by calling them 'YallQaeda' and 'VanillaISIS'
So some religious militants took over some territory, threaten violence, and are calling for like-minded believers to join them. #YallQaeda
Every successful revolution starts with takeover of closed visitor center with gift shop. #OregonUnderAttack #YallQaeda
#YallQaeda waging #YeeHawd on America and we're still calling it a "peaceful protest." It's domestic terrorism and we need to shut it down.
Currently #YallQaeda is engaged in an act of #YeeHawd in rural Oregon in defense of arsonists. If successfully they will get 72 strippers.
Some other great suggestions from my mentions: #YokelHaram #YeeHawdists #VanillaISIS #Talibundy https://t.co/mHTopQFx0z
:D
Have we no tanks? Have we no helicopter gunships? If these seditious redneck fucktards were black guys with guns, there would've been a massacre already.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Boatrocker wrote: Have we no tanks? Have we no helicopter gunships? If these seditious redneck fucktards were black guys with guns, there would've been a massacre already.
Just shoot them down where they stand, huh? Good thinking! Wonder why the feds don't think of that? Send 'em an email, quick!
rstrong in another thread wrote: "Sorry, but I don't listen to. . . . people who thing (think) its OK to turn America into a torture state and kill 49 innocent people with drone strikes for every suspected terrorist."
Double standards?

O Really
Admiral

Boatrocker wrote: Have we no tanks? Have we no helicopter gunships? If these seditious redneck fucktards were black guys with guns, there would've been a massacre already.
Undoubtedly, at least if various local police departments were in charge. I think a reasonable amount of restraint on the part of the feds is a good thing. I also think they should cut off the power to the building, block incoming or outgoing and scrape their frozen dead starved fingers off their guns in the spring.

Of course, Vrede, our resident civil disobedience authority might have a different view given the defense he gave for the old ladies breaking into the power plant.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Nuclear weapons plant, and 2 of the 3 are men.

84-Year-Old Nun Sentenced To Nearly 3 Years In Prison For Nuclear Plant Break-In

Unless people get hurt, my guess is that none of the Y'allQaeda protestors get 3-5 years.

It's not civil disobedience when accompanied by guns and physical threats. I agree, cut off the power. Also, cut off the water and don't let food in (has happened to me). My guess is that these YeeHawdists weren't smart enough to plan for the long haul.

That said, the little I know suggests that the Hammonds got questionable treatment. I might respect the VanillaISIS action if it weren't for the guns and physical threats being a rejection of the civil disobedience fundamental of nonviolently accepting consequences.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:My guess is that these YeeHawdists weren't smart enough to plan for the long haul.
Nope.

Oregon 'terrorists' don't plan siege very well, put out plea for snacks and supplies

The Cowliphate may be short-lived.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:... Cowliphate ...
:lol:
Seriously, they forget the snacks? Amateurs.
Take your guns and hunt for your own damn snacks you paragons of boot-strappy manhood.
Wait... They're anti-government yet they want to use the USPS? This calls for a *facepalm*
Do you think they would accept a falafel care package?
:lol:
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Take your guns and hunt for your own damn snacks you paragons of boot-strappy manhood.
Even if they did, I'd expect violence as soon as these Marlboro Men run out of tobacco.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote: That said, the little I know suggests that the Hammonds got questionable treatment. ...
It may be (is) a bad law - one of the mandatory minimum deals, but the Hammonds did do the crime and the judge unlawfully reduced their time. I suppose the prosecution could have just looked the other way, but that's not the way prosecutors think usually.

O Really
Admiral

Members of the "Mullahsha" :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:It may be (is) a bad law - one of the mandatory minimum deals, but the Hammonds did do the crime and the judge unlawfully reduced their time. I suppose the prosecution could have just looked the other way, but that's not the way prosecutors think usually.
As you imply with your first phrase, the part I question is 5 years for burning brush - whether to remove invasives as the Hammonds claim or to hide evidence of poaching as the government claims - not so much the flubbed sentencing and its fix.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Oregon Ranchers Report to California Prison Amid Armed Standoff

... Attorneys for the Hammonds told ABC News in a statement earlier today, that, "as the Hammonds have previously stated, they will be reporting to the United States Bureau of Prisons today to serve their sentences."

"Dwight and Steven Hammond respect the rule of law," the statement continues. "They have litigated this matter within the federal courts for over five years and, in every instance, have followed the order of the court without incident or violation. That includes serving the entire sentences imposed in this case by the judge who heard the evidence at trial and who concluded that imposition of a five-year sentence under these circumstances would 'shock the conscience.'"

"The Hammonds will continue their legal efforts to renew their grazing permits," the attorneys say. "They will also pursue Executive Clemency. We hope that President Obama will agree with us and with the veteran judge who presided over the trial that the mandatory five-year minimum sentence is far too long for these ranchers."

Karyn Gallen, the niece of Dwight Hammond and cousin of Steven Hammond, said today that the occupation "is in no way connected to the Hammond family."

"The Hammonds have always been about family first," Gallen said. "I think it's important for Harney County ... to show support, but it has always been the request of the family to keep that peaceful." ...
I'm inclined to agree with the judge, the attorneys for the Hammonds and Karyn Gallen.

Now, it's likely that Bundy and the Mullahsha have made things worse for them. It'll be interesting to see if they abandon their Cowliphate now that the objects of their solidarity have thrown them under the bus.
Last edited by Vrede too on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

(Opps - reply is to the post two up, not the one immediately above. Clicked too quick)
Not exactly. They intentionally set a fire that ended up burning 130ish acres in 2001, then lit it up again in 2006, with less damage. Calling it "burning brush" may be technically accurate, but is about as descriptive as saying a flood that ruins your house is "some water in the yard." I don't like mandatory minimums in most cases, but I don't think these guys are any innocent victims of jackbooted justice, either.