In Memoriam

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: In Memoriam

Unread post by O Really »

Mike Pinder, the Moody Blues Keyboardist and Founding Member, Dead at 82

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mik ... 53431.html

One of my favourites from Moody Blues

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:35 pm
Mike Pinder, the Moody Blues Keyboardist and Founding Member, Dead at 82

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mik ... 53431.html

One of my favourites from Moody Blues

Bad embed, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmmPFrkuPq0
The Moody Blues - Your Wildest Dreams

Nice, RIP.

O Really
Admiral

Guitarist Duane Eddy has left the building at age 86.

Here's from when rock (and Duane) were young

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 4:04 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8uZutr1avs
RIP. Weird song. It never really goes anywhere, just the same riff repeated many times. I'm surprised the forklift didn't run anyone over.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 5:10 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 4:04 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8uZutr1avs
RIP. Weird song. It never really goes anywhere, just the same riff repeated many times. I'm surprised the forklift didn't run anyone over.
Yeah, it's entertaining and "rousing" but anybody with a guitar could play it. If that's all he ever did, he wouldn't be considered a great guitarist. But his sax player carried much of the load. One thing about that vid, though, he was able to get that much sound out of a guitar that wasn't plugged in. Not everybody could do that.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:13 pm
Yeah, it's entertaining and "rousing" but anybody with a guitar could play it. If that's all he ever did, he wouldn't be considered a great guitarist. But his sax player carried much of the load. One thing about that vid, though, he was able to get that much sound out of a guitar that wasn't plugged in. Not everybody could do that.
Good point. I'm so used to modern radio pickups that I didn't even notice.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

George Cooper :crybaby:
1944-1994

RIP

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Geez, I'm getting old.

Jaws will be 50 years old next year.

Susan Backlinie, the First Victim of the Shark in ‘Jaws,’ Dies at 77
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Donald Sutherland dies at 88: Cause of death is 'long illness'
The "Hunger Games" actor's talent agency shared some information about his cause of death in a statement.

... “Born in Saint John, Canada, Sutherland’s break-through performances in the 1967 film ‘The Dirty Dozen’ and Robert Altman’s ‘M*A*S*H’ catapulted him into the public eye," the statement read. "Throughout his six-decade career, the renowned actor starred in such iconic films as ‘Klute,’ ‘Kelly’s Heroes,’ ‘Don’t Look Now,’ ‘Ordinary People,’ ‘JFK,’ ‘The Eye of The Needle,’ ‘Fellini’s Casanova,’ ‘1900,’ ‘The Hunger Games’ series, and ‘Ad Astra,’ among others.”...
So many GREAT roles.

IMO Don’t Look Now (1973) is one of the best suspense/horror movies ever, not to mention having a helluva sex scene.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

News of Radner's death broke as Steve Martin was rehearsing for his guest-host role on that night's season finale of Saturday Night Live. The show's performers and crew, including Lorne Michaels, Phil Hartman, and Mike Myers (who had, in his own words, "fallen in love" with Radner after playing her son in a BC Hydro commercial on Canadian television and considered her the reason he wanted to be on SNL),[35] had not known how grave her situation was. Martin's planned opening monologue was scrapped; in its place a visibly upset Martin introduced a video clip of a 1978 sketch in which he and Radner had parodied Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse in the well-known dance routine Dancing In The Dark from The Band Wagon (1953).[36] After the clip, Martin said it reminded him of "how great she was and of how young I looked. Gilda, we miss you." G. E. Smith, Radner's first husband, who was Saturday Night Live’s bandleader, wore a black armband throughout the episode.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilda_Radner#Illness

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:( One of the best ever.

Jim Inhofe, climate crisis-denying former senator (R-OK), dies at 89

... Inhofe's views often reflected the extreme leanings of his party. He was intensely homophobic (in opposing same-sex marriage, he once boasted to the Senate that in the "recorded history" of his family "we've never had a divorce or any kind of a homosexual relationship"), he was rabidly pro-gun (he once blamed mass shootings on "permissive laws" in sanctuary cities) and opposed abortion rights....
Good riddance. Roast in Hell.

Comments:
Sunny day in Oklahoma.
He lived far too long. Inhofe was a cancer to reason and integrity.
Lies, a lot of what you wrote is lies. I am from OK and have never heard him say some of the things you are saying that he said. What is his legacy is the fact that he gave undying respect and support to our military. He was a WWII veteran.
Irony. Inhofe was born in November 1934, making him 10 when WWII ended.
:o Daring.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

He counted mess kits.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:35 pm
He counted mess kits.
Nttawwt in peacetime, but it's a far cry from the Inhofe fanboy's, "He was a WWII veteran."

Dr. Ruth Westheimer, celebrity therapist whose grandmotherly charm and blunt honesty revolutionized public discourse on sex, dead at 96

Dr. Ruth Westheimer, the Holocaust orphan who rose to become one of the most famous sex therapists in America, a 4-foot-7 celebrity with a big smile and a penchant for tackling the most taboo of subjects with blunt honesty and matronly humor, died Friday at her New York City home, according to her publicist Pierre Lehu.

She was 96.

As a 50-something psychiatrist, she found sudden fame on radio, television and in bookstores during the 1980s, fueled by a simple formula: Talking honestly in public about intimate subjects that few others dared to utter even in private....
Remarkable life :-|| I still fondly recall her hilarious appearances on Johnny Carson, etc.
... Not everyone, however, was a fan. Conservatives voiced outrage over the subject matter. A local politician tried unsuccessfully to make a citizen arrest during an October 1985 lecture at Oklahoma State University, stopped by school officials before he could physically grab Westheimer, The Oklahoman newspaper reported at the time.

Westheimer used her platform to preach empathy and compassion toward the LGBT community during the early days of the AIDS crisis and is credited with changing mainstream perceptions of the disease and its victims.

“Dr. Ruth took the shame out of sex, by emphasizing love and pleasure in its place, and she had that great giggle,” said Anka Radakovich, who wrote a groundbreaking sex column in Details Magazine. “She influenced a whole new generation of women to pursue the field....

The year after she turned 90, Westheimer released a children’s picture book called “Crocodile, You’re Beautiful.” In November 2023, New York Gov. Kathy Hochul appointed Westheimer as the state’s first Ambassador to Loneliness to help address the rise in isolation stemming from the Covid pandemic....
A real life version of Ruth Gordon in Harold and Maude. RIP

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

This morning I saw that Richard Simmons has died. I never liked him but didn't mind that he lived. I especially didn't like his hair.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:30 am
This morning I saw that Richard Simmons has died. I never liked him but didn't mind that he lived. I especially didn't like his hair.
:thumbup: Too syrupy cheerful for me.

Bob Newhart, comedian and actor known for 'The Bob Newhart Show,' dies at 94

:-||

He'll be back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_QtVLyGx2A

:lol:

O Really
Admiral

Both of his major shows were great. I preferred the "Hartley" but not by much. And he always had a good collection of support, such as Darrel and his other brother Darrel.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Conservative pundit and Fox Business host Lou Dobbs dies at 78

Who? ;)
... Dobbs was named in a lawsuit against Fox News by Dominion Voting systems over lies told on the network about the 2020 presidential election. A mediator in 2023 pushed the two sides toward a $787 million settlement, averting a trial. A mountain of evidence — some damning, some merely embarrassing — showed many Fox executives and on-air talent didn’t believe allegations aired mostly on shows hosted by Dobbs, Maria Bartiromo and Jeanine Pirro. At the time, they feared angering Trump fans in the audience with the truth....
Oh, that asshole. Even Faux Business canceled him in 2021.

Good riddance. No Rest in Hell.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:09 pm

Good riddance. No Rest in Hell.
Same age as trump. :think:

:lol:

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Awww, now I am sad.

Make up award, but I'm ok with that.
The former accountant famously went without an Emmy Award until 2013, when he finally was given one for guest-starring as Arthur Jeffries (alias Professor Proton, former host of a children’s science show) on CBS’ The Big Bang Theory.