Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:41 pm
Some things don't change.

Why aren't the assholes being shouted down?
O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:32 pm
Lee High School's most famous alums might also object.
Spoiler:
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Southern man, better keep your head.
Don't forget what your good book said.
Southern change gonna come at last.
Now your crosses are burning fast.

Southern man....
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:38 pm

Why aren't the assholes being shouted down?
O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:32 pm
Lee High School's most famous alums might also object.
Spoiler:
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Southern man, better keep your head.
Don't forget what your good book said.
Southern change gonna come at last.
Now your crosses are burning fast.

Southern man....
Well I heard Mister Young sing about her
Well I heard ol' Neil put her down
Well I hope Neil Young will remember
A southern man don't need him around anyhow

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:28 pm
Well I heard Mister Young sing about her
Well I heard ol' Neil put her down
Well I hope Neil Young will remember
A southern man don't need him around anyhow
No?
“slaves are to obey their masters”
“if there are problems at the school it’s because it is predominately African-American.”

Southern man needs someone around, along with video, doxxing and widespread outing.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Neil also has some wise words for those who favor the status quo:
"Don't let it bring you down; it's only castles burning. Just find someone who''s turning, and you will come around."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:08 am
Neil also has some wise words for those who favor the status quo:
"Don't let it bring you down; it's only castles burning. Just find someone who''s turning, and you will come around."
:thumbup:

Maryland Senate expected to pass bill to repeal official state song

The Maryland Senate is expected to finally pass legislation to repeal the state’s official song. The House has already acted on the measure.

The lyrics in the song “Maryland, My Maryland” have been considered offensive because of its racist overtones and sympathy for the confederacy.

After five years of discussion and debate, lawmakers have decided that no state song is better than having one people find offensive.

The song "Maryland, My Maryland" calls President Abraham Lincoln a despot and refers to unionists as northern scum. It was written during the civil war as an ode to the confederacy.

“They glorify the actions of a mob as a patriotic gore. They enshrine a world in which slavery was considered righteous,” Maryland historian Edward Papenfuse said....
Huh, I never sang the song growing up, don't think that I ever heard it and don't remember even hearing about it before. There would have been outrage from my mom if she'd ever heard about it, too.
... For at least five years, state lawmakers have wrestled with repealing it or striking the offensive lyrics. In 2018, lawmakers even held a competition to replace it....
"five years"???!!!

Full lyrics

Wow, that's a lot of KKKlanish whining.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I'd always considered "Maryland My Maryland" to be interchangeable with "O Christmas Tree" but I had no idea what the real lyrics were. It's not too bad if you only hear the first verse - sort of like the "Star Spangled Banner"

Here's a version sung by some group of likely Baltimoreans. Notice the pronunciation of "Bal-tee-more"

O Really
Admiral

What is it with states and "O Tanenbaum"? No originality? And why all the civil war origins. Here's another one from "Michigan My Michigan"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan,_My_Michigan

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:54 pm
I'd always considered "Maryland My Maryland" to be interchangeable with "O Christmas Tree" but I had no idea what the real lyrics were. It's not too bad if you only hear the first verse ...
"The Despot" is Lincoln.
O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:01 pm
What is it with states and "O Tanenbaum"? No originality? And why all the civil war origins....
Stickin' it in the faces of the opponent states?

Anyone else have a racist state song?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:14 pm

I'll take "Yes" for $1,000, Katie.

O Really
Admiral

Without looking hard, there's Florida and Kentucky, with "Darkies" happily running around de ol' home.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:24 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:14 pm
I'll take "Yes" for $1,000, Katie.
I meant among us BRDistas.
O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:26 pm
Without looking hard, there's Florida and Kentucky, with "Darkies" happily running around de ol' home.
Ugh, billy.pilgrim. Alabama? Whack9, neoplacebo?

If my mom had known I'll bet there would have been trips to Annapolis.

NC's:
The Old North State

"Carolina! Carolina! Heaven's blessings attend her!
While we live we will cherish, protect and defend her;
Though the scorner may sneer at and witlings defame her,
I hate scorning, sneering, defamatory witlings.
Our hearts swell with gladness whenever we name her.
Hurrah! Hurrah! The Old North State forever!
Hurrah! Hurrah! The good Old North State!
Cool, we're a NORTH state. Hurrah! Hurrah!
... Though too true to herself e'er to crouch to oppression,
Who can yield to just rule more loyal submission?
Could have been a reference to Yankees like MD's song, but it was written in 1835.
... Plain and artless her sons, but whose doors open faster
At the knock of a stranger, or the tale of disaster?
That's nice.
And her daughters, the Queen of the Forest resembling–
So graceful, so constant, yet to gentlest breath trembling;
And true lightwood at heart, let the match be applied them,
How they kindle and flame! Oh! none know but who've tried them.
Cool, pro-women and pro-gay treehuggers - "Queen of the Forest".
Then let all who love us, love the land that we live in
(As happy a region on this side of Heaven),
Where Plenty and Freedom, Love and Peace smile before us,
Raise aloud, raise together, the heart-thrilling chorus!"
Opps, at the time we were a hateful slave state, went to war to stay that way, and had our economy wrecked by it. Oh well, nice aspiration, though.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Oregon My Oregon
Land of the Empire Builders,
Land of the Golden West;
Conqured and held by free men
Fairest and the best.

"Free men"? Undoubtedly not Black ones or Indian ones.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

TN state song is "The Tennessee Waltz" since 1965 and they also designated "Rocky Top" as state song in the 80's. If it were up to me, the state song would be "Runnin' With the Devil."
Oh, flash update.....the other day the state commission that is charged with the removal and or preservation of monuments voted something like 25 to 1 to get Nathan Bedford Forrest's bust out of the State house. Friday a TN GOP legislator proposed getting rid of the commission. It's sort of like that cancel culture they keep whining about, except in reverse.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:34 pm
TN state song is "The Tennessee Waltz" since 1965 and they also designated "Rocky Top" as state song in the 80's. If it were up to me, the state song would be "Runnin' With the Devil."
Kinda redundant? The current songs already cover: partying, betrayal, infidelity, hopelessness, isolation, wildness, a hairy partner, poor nutrition, drunkenness on illegal booze and depression. What's Van Halen got to add to that? You go, Tennessee!
Oh, flash update.....the other day the state commission that is charged with the removal and or preservation of monuments voted something like 25 to 1 to get Nathan Bedford Forrest's bust out of the State house. Friday a TN GOP legislator proposed getting rid of the commission. It's sort of like that cancel culture they keep whining about, except in reverse.
:roll: :lol: You go, Tennessee!
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:57 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:34 pm
Kinda redundant? The current songs already cover: partying, betrayal, infidelity, hopelessness, isolation, wildness, a hairy partner, poor nutrition, drunkenness on illegal booze and depression. What's Van Halen got to add to that? You go, Tennessee!
:roll: :lol: You go, Tennessee!
:D Yeah, those songs cover just about everything except murder and incest. I guess those will be on the rise since the other day the bill to allow anyone who can buy a gun to go around with it concealed with no safety or competency training is about to become law. I figure to put a large cucumber in my pants when this all goes down. Maybe folks will keep their distance. Or maybe I'll just stay in.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Well, I had to search for it, and found it, but it appears that California's official state song is the incredibly sappy "I Love You, California". I've lived here nearly all my life, and have NEVER heard this song. That's how unpopular it must be:

The state song should be the famous "California, Here I Come", which I think everybody knows and is quite energetic. Al Jolson's may be the most famous rendition, but I kind of prefer Ray Charles' treatment:

And, here's a very fun rendition, complete with vintage shots of the state in what looks like the 60's. Performed by Nat Shilkren and his Orchestra:

Last edited by Ulysses on Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:06 pm
... I figure to put a large cucumber in my pants when this all goes down. Maybe folks will keep their distance....
Idk, it might make you a popular guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAargSCXQaQ
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Court clears way for removal of Confederate statue at the center of deadly Charlottesville 'Unite the Right' rally

Virginia's highest court cleared way Thursday for two Confederate statues in Charlottesville to be removed, one of which was previously at the center of a deadly 2017 rally attended by hundreds of neo-Nazis and white supremacists.

The state Supreme Court overturned a lower court's ruling in favor of a group of residents who sued to stop the city from taking down statues of Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.

This decision is the latest in a series of similar moves nationwide to remove symbols of white supremacy. Last year, 168 such symbols – including placards, building dedications and more than 90 Confederate monuments — were renamed or removed, according to a year-end update to the Southern Poverty Law Center's "Whose Heritage?" report, which tracks Confederate symbols across the country....

While emblems of the Confederacy are common in the South, Virginia houses the most Confederate symbols.

In February, state lawmakers passed a bill to remove a statue of former Virginia governor and U.S. Senator Harry F. Byrd Sr. from the state capitol grounds. He was considered the architect of the state’s racist “massive resistance” policy to public school integration.

Activists have long called for the removal of these symbols, but the movement grew stronger following George Floyd's death. Now, Confederate symbols are more closely associated with white supremacy
:---P :---P :---P BLM, Antifa, etc win! However:
... many still defend these statues and memorials as Southern heritage.

Nearly 2,100 emblems and dedications to the Confederacy remain, which include more than 700 statues, according to the SPLC's updated report published in February.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:31 pm
Court clears way for removal of Confederate statue at the center of deadly Charlottesville 'Unite the Right' rally

Virginia's highest court cleared way Thursday for two Confederate statues in Charlottesville to be removed, one of which was previously at the center of a deadly 2017 rally attended by hundreds of neo-Nazis and white supremacists.

The state Supreme Court overturned a lower court's ruling in favor of a group of residents who sued to stop the city from taking down statues of Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.

This decision is the latest in a series of similar moves nationwide to remove symbols of white supremacy. Last year, 168 such symbols – including placards, building dedications and more than 90 Confederate monuments — were renamed or removed, according to a year-end update to the Southern Poverty Law Center's "Whose Heritage?" report, which tracks Confederate symbols across the country....

While emblems of the Confederacy are common in the South, Virginia houses the most Confederate symbols.

In February, state lawmakers passed a bill to remove a statue of former Virginia governor and U.S. Senator Harry F. Byrd Sr. from the state capitol grounds. He was considered the architect of the state’s racist “massive resistance” policy to public school integration.

Activists have long called for the removal of these symbols, but the movement grew stronger following George Floyd's death. Now, Confederate symbols are more closely associated with white supremacy
:---P :---P :---P BLM, Antifa, etc win! However:
... many still defend these statues and memorials as Southern heritage.

Nearly 2,100 emblems and dedications to the Confederacy remain, which include more than 700 statues, according to the SPLC's updated report published in February.

Court, or no frickin court required.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 104245002/

A flyer, purportedly sent to the United Daughters of the Confederacy, demands the organization fly a banner outside their Virginia headquarters or the stone chair dedicated to Jefferson Davis would be defaced.
A flyer, purportedly sent to the United Daughters of the Confederacy, demands the organization fly a banner outside their Virginia headquarters or the stone chair dedicated to Jefferson Davis would be defaced.

Cool demand letter at the link that I can't, or don't know how to load from my phone.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:47 am
Court, or no frickin court required.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 104245002/

Cool demand letter at the link that I can't, or don't know how to load from my phone.
Same usatoday.com article, no paywall:
'Anti-racist' group says it will turn stolen Confederate monument 'into a toilet,' unless demands met

An "anti-racist action group" is claiming responsibility and holding for ransom a stone chair, dedicated to Jefferson Davis, stolen from a cemetery in Selma, Alabama, last month.

According to an email from the group, "White Lies Matter," the chair was taken from the cemetery about a month ago. Selma police Chief Kenta Fulford confirmed that his department received a report of the chair being stolen.

Instead of cash, however, the group has asked the United Daughters of the Confederacy to hang a banner outside their headquarters in Virginia for 24 hours, beginning April 9, with a quote from Assata Shakur. April 9 is the 156th anniversary of Robert E. Lee's surrender in Appomattox, Virginia.

"The rulers of this country have always considered their property more important than our lives," says the banner that the group mailed to the UDC.

Shakur was a former member of the Black Liberation Army, convicted of murder in 1977, who escaped prison in 1979 and remains free despite being wanted by the FBI. Shakur was granted political asylum in Cuba....
Though it has the feel of a Homecoming Day prank, I hope that "White Lies Matter" doesn't face felony theft and/or extortion charges.

Personally, I'd rather see the toilet than see the banner flown. We'll see, I doubt that the United Daughters of the Confederacy will hang a banner, especially one with an Assata Shakur quote.

1312. ETTD.