Ukraine

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Ukraine

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

There needs to be war crime trials.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

by GoCubsGo » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:10 pm
Problem is, since Russia is a permanent member of the UN Security Council, it can probably veto any such effort by the UN. So that leaves the EU and NATO, which Putin will ignore.

Unless I'm wrong, and there's some other independent global organization that has the authority to rule on such matters.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Not to defend Russians killing off children and other civilians, but I do have a question as to who is a "combatant." It would seem that in Ukraine, not just official members of the military are combatants, but pretty much everybody (to their credit) has joined in. According to the rules of war, if a civilian (or 12-year old) is shooting at you or chunks a Molotov cocktail in your direction, can you then shoot them?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:10 pm
The attack itself is obscene, but I wonder if "for the children" might have meant for the Russian children that their fake news says that Ukraine is killing. Are Russian soldiers both cruel and stupid enough to publicly declare that they target children?

The International Criminal Court has limited to zero jurisdiction. Like with the US :ateeth: , Russia is not a member. It was, but withdrew after invading Ukraine in 2016. Co-conspirator Belarus is also not a member. Ukraine is not quite a member. Idk what the implications are for any case it may wish to pursue.
O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:04 pm
Not to defend Russians killing off children and other civilians, but I do have a question as to who is a "combatant." It would seem that in Ukraine, not just official members of the military are combatants, but pretty much everybody (to their credit) has joined in. According to the rules of war, if a civilian (or 12-year old) is shooting at you or chunks a Molotov cocktail in your direction, can you then shoot them?
Yes. Also, according to the US you can kill innocent civilian including 12-year olds if they are in the vicinity of belligerents - "collateral damage". In theory, civilian refugees waiting for a train are not legit targets, but "legit" hasn't stopped the US from bombing Afghan hospitals.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:04 pm
The Israelis have a long history of killing Palestinians for throwing rocks at them. The US at times will say something about it but not very much. But to my way of thinking, if you're in a war zone carrying a weapon and not wearing a uniform, you're putting yourself at double risk and are fair game.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

What weapons were the victims at that train station carrying?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Rocks are not weapons. Automatic rifles and rocket launchers are. Who posted anything about the people at the train station being armed?

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:14 am
What train station?

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:54 pm
Ulysses wrote:
What train station?
Oh, Really?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/live ... -rcna23710
As Ukraine reeled from a missile attack on a train station that left at least 50 people dead and scores more injured, the country's deputy prime minister said Saturday that 10 humanitarian corridors had been agreed on to evacuate civilians from besieged southern cities.

Iryna Vereshchuk, Ukraine's deputy prime minister, said in a post on her Telegram channel that the routes out of the port-cities of Mariupol and Berdyansk would open, as well as from Melitopol and other areas in Ukraine's south and east.

Her announcement came as Russia was widely condemned for the attack on a railway station in Kramatorsk in the Donetsk region.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said 50 people died in the strike which he called “another war crime of Russia” in a late- night address posted to his Telegram channel. Donetsk’s governor said nearly 100 people had been injured. NBC News has not been able to independently verify these figures.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
What train station?
Are you Russian ;) , or are you messing with Useless? If the latter, mission accomplished.
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:21 pm
Oh, Really? ...
:roll:
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:21 pm
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Doctors, crater disprove Russia's hospital airstrike misinfo
LVIV, Ukraine (AP) — A woman on the verge of giving birth with her leg flayed open by shrapnel. A shockwave that shattered the glass and ceramic lining of a room with medical waste. A nurse who suffered a concussion.

This is what the Ukrainian doctors remember of the Russian airstrike that destroyed the Mariupol maternity hospital where they once worked. And these memories are now all they have from a day they wish they could forget: Russian soldiers purged the evidence from their phones when they fled Mariupol.

“With just one blow, there was simply nothing, no children’s clinic, it was simply blown away, ” said Dr. Lyudmila Mykhailenko, the acting director at Hospital No. 3 in the besieged Ukrainian city of Mariupol. The sprawling courtyard of the hospital complex was — and remains — “one continuous shell crater.”

Three doctors and a paramedic spoke with The Associated Press to offer new details from a March 9 airstrike that happened when communications were all but severed, and to counter fresh Russian misinformation. They left the city separately in private cars, as have thousands from Mariupol in recent weeks, and are now scattered in other towns around Ukraine and in Poland.

Any questions?

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:23 pm
O Really wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
What train station?
Are you Russian ;) , or are you messing with Useless? If the latter, mission accomplished.
GoCubsGo had posted regarding a "for the children" bomb into a train station. I asked an unrelated hypothetical question regarding who can be considered a combatant, which you answered nicely. Neoplacebo also addressed the question. Ulysses then asked out of nowhere about weapons in a train station. Since that wasn't responsive to my question, it seemed reasonable to ask "what train station?"

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:34 pm
Doctors, crater disprove Russia's hospital airstrike misinfo
LVIV, Ukraine (AP) — A woman on the verge of giving birth with her leg flayed open by shrapnel. A shockwave that shattered the glass and ceramic lining of a room with medical waste. A nurse who suffered a concussion.

This is what the Ukrainian doctors remember of the Russian airstrike that destroyed the Mariupol maternity hospital where they once worked. And these memories are now all they have from a day they wish they could forget: Russian soldiers purged the evidence from their phones when they fled Mariupol.

“With just one blow, there was simply nothing, no children’s clinic, it was simply blown away, ” said Dr. Lyudmila Mykhailenko, the acting director at Hospital No. 3 in the besieged Ukrainian city of Mariupol. The sprawling courtyard of the hospital complex was — and remains — “one continuous shell crater.”

Three doctors and a paramedic spoke with The Associated Press to offer new details from a March 9 airstrike that happened when communications were all but severed, and to counter fresh Russian misinformation. They left the city separately in private cars, as have thousands from Mariupol in recent weeks, and are now scattered in other towns around Ukraine and in Poland.

Any questions?
I have one:

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:37 pm
Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
What train station?
GoCubsGo had posted regarding a "for the children" bomb into a train station. I asked an unrelated hypothetical question regarding who can be considered a combatant, which you answered nicely. Neoplacebo also addressed the question. Ulysses then asked out of nowhere about weapons in a train station. Since that wasn't responsive to my question, it seemed reasonable to ask "what train station?"
OK.

The train station the Russians shot a missile into.

That one.

Unless they attacked yet another; I wouldn't be putin it past them.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:37 pm
Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
What train station?
:lol:
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:40 pm
OK.

The train station the Russians shot a missile into.

That one.

Unless they attacked yet another; I wouldn't be putin it past them.
Whooosh. Get a 4th grader to help you catch up.
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:40 pm
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Maybe the concept of "hypothetical" is confusing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:32 pm
:D Useless has a 3 syllable max.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:50 pm
O Really wrote:
:D Useless has a 3 syllable max.
It's been proven to be very problematic.

viewtopic.php?p=164392#p164392
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Make up your mind.

First you say I answered your hypothetical statement "nicely".

Now, apparently you are confused by your own statement.

As for you snide remark that I may find the "concept of "hypothetical" confusing, nope. Try again!