The homophobic thread :>

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The homophobic thread :>

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:19 pm
Since it's been over five years past the national legalization of marriage between people of the same gender, I was shocked - shocked I say - to see a group that appeared to be a wedding party yesterday celebrating and taking pictures on the beach. I looked closely, and I'm sure there was a bride who was female, and a male groom. In fact, the bride had a really nice traditional-looking white dress and the groom, along with his entourage, were dressed in tuxes. I'm sure it was widely publicized that legalization of same-gender marriage would "destroy" traditional marriage, and that people would instead be marrying their dogs and lawn mowers. And yet, more than five years since traditional marriage was destroyed, there's a "traditional" marriage going on in California no less. Lady O asked one of the people in the party if the ceremony had actually been a legal marriage, or if the "bride and groom" were just doing some sort of parody. But strangely, apparently "traditional marriage" is indeed still legal, nobody has married their dog or lawn mower, and nobody's long-standing marriage has been declared null and void because of same-gender marriage. Who knew?
I never even considered marrying a lawn mower but I admit to once having my eye on a really nice dryer vent on the side of a house.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
... Lady O asked one of the people in the party if the ceremony had actually been a legal marriage, or if the "bride and groom" were just doing some sort of parody....
:lol: Did she really? :o
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:39 pm
I never even considered marrying a lawn mower but I admit to once having my eye on a really nice dryer vent on the side of a house.
I hear that they're warm, and they blow.

I never would have predicted this:
Navy Names Ship After Harvey Milk Decades After He Was Forced To Resign For Being Gay

A crew in San Diego on Friday cut the first piece of steel on what will become the United States Naval Ship “Harvey Milk,” a fleet oiler named for the slain gay rights leader.

Milk was elected to the San Francisco board of supervisors in 1978, becoming the first openly gay politician in California. He was assassinated 10 months later by former Supervisor Dan White on November 27, 1978.

Almost 30 years before his election, Milk served as a Navy dive instructor in San Diego. His nephew, Stuart Milk, attended Friday’s event and said naming the ship after his uncle sends a message to people around the world.

“(This) sends a global message of inclusion more powerful than simply ‘We’ll tolerate everyone,’” Milk said. “(It says) We celebrate everyone.”

Milk said his uncle was forced to resign from the Navy in the 1950s after being caught in a San Diego park popular with gay men....

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports:

Fleet oilers like the future Harvey Milk are used to replenish fuel oil and dry goods to Navy ships at sea. The Milk will be the second ship in the new John Lewis class of fleet oilers. The future John Lewis, named for the civil rights leader and congressman, also is being built at NASSCO San Diego....

... As the Washington Post notes, Milk received death threats on a daily basis. He created several iterations of his will in case he were to be assassinated. “If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door,” he said in one version.
:gayhappy: :clap:

Iowa Man Sentenced To 16 Years After Setting Pride Flag On Fire

I'm happy that he was caught and prosecuted, but 16 years seems extreme. Perhaps there are details not included in the article.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:20 pm
O Really wrote:
... Lady O asked one of the people in the party if the ceremony had actually been a legal marriage, or if the "bride and groom" were just doing some sort of parody....
:lol: Did she really? :o
:lol: No, but we did see the wedding party and joked about being "surprised" that traditional marriage apparently hadn't been destroyed (yet)

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:

I'm happy that he was caught and prosecuted, but 16 years seems extreme. Perhaps there are details not included in the article.
"Last month, a jury found Adolfo Martinez, 30, guilty of a hate crime, third-degree harassment, reckless use of fire and habitual offender."

I'm guessing it was the "hate crime" and "habitual offender" that ran up the time. Or maybe being named "Adolfo Martinez" in Iowa.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:55 pm
"Last month, a jury found Adolfo Martinez, 30, guilty of a hate crime, third-degree harassment, reckless use of fire and habitual offender."

I'm guessing it was the "hate crime" and "habitual offender" that ran up the time. Or maybe being named "Adolfo Martinez" in Iowa.
:D Leaving aside "Martinez", it's probably a good idea for criminal bigots anywhere to change their name from "Adolfo".
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:35 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:55 pm

:D Leaving aside "Martinez", it's probably a good idea for criminal bigots anywhere to change their name from "Adolfo".
The cat fan's hero and idol Clemson football coach is named Dabo. What kind of sick bastard names their kid that? Sounds like someone on an ether binge trying to ask for a glass of water.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:55 pm

The cat fan's hero and idol Clemson football coach is named Dabo. What kind of sick bastard names their kid that? Sounds like someone on an ether binge trying to ask for a glass of water.
To be fair, the parents apparently named him William Christopher. The real question is what kind of grown man still goes by the name Dabo?

"Swinney's nickname "Dabo" was given to him as an infant by his parents when his then-18-month-old brother would try to enunciate "that boy" when referring to Swinney." :roll:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:19 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
To be fair, the parents apparently named him William Christopher. The real question is what kind of grown man still goes by the name Dabo?

"Swinney's nickname "Dabo" was given to him as an infant by his parents when his then-18-month-old brother would try to enunciate "that boy" when referring to Swinney." :roll:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dabo_Swin ... sonal_life
Wiki has no word on whether the brother is a sick bastard or not ;) .

This is fitting: Dabo is the Amharic word for bread, and "Swinney is the highest paid coach in the history of college athletics."
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Well, that certainly clarifies things; I didn't care enough about him to look it up. I am surprised that he's paid more than Nick Saban or even Urban Meyer when he was still in NCAA.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:02 pm
Well, that certainly clarifies things; I didn't care enough about him to look it up. I am surprised that he's paid more than Nick Saban or even Urban Meyer when he was still in NCAA.
It's because of the tough competition in the . . . oh wait, Clemson is not in the SEC or Big 10. Never mind.

An Iowa city received a federal request to remove its rainbow crosswalks. It declined

Fwiw, Ames has the bad luck to be in the district of Nazi (literally) Repug Rep. Steve King.

I'll always have a fondness for it after getting rescued by a stoner student while trying to hitchhike through a blizzard decades ago.
1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

O Really wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:19 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
The cat fan's hero and idol Clemson football coach is named Dabo. What kind of sick bastard names their kid that?
Better question would be why leftist sexually harass household items.

Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:39 pm
I hear that they're warm, and they blow.
Leftist foreplay. :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:25 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:48 pm
"New Canadian one-dollar coin honouring LGBT rights to be unveiled"

https://www.straight.com/life/1230381/r ... gbt-rights

The standard $1 coin is the "loonie" of course, at least in part because of the image of a loon. There may be some creative names given the new commemorative coin.
:thumbup:

It will be as queer as a one-dollar coin.

You cited the STRAIGHT on an LGBTQ topic. :D

First I've seen "LGBTQ2".
LGBTQ2

(chiefly Canada) Initialism of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (or sometimes questioning), two-spirited.
Looks like there's also:
LGBTQI

Abbreviation of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning (or: queer), intersex.
Eventually - 'people', but we've got some work to do yet.
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:01 pm
New acronym to me:
QTPOC - Queer, Trans, People of Color

Apparently, LGB are all "Queer", but Trans people are not. :confusion-scratchheadblue:
Another new one to me:

LGBTQA - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning or Queer (Q2), Asexual or (Straight) Ally (A2)

So, we're all LGBTQ2A2 now . . . even 1 FAT CAN, nttawwt, though not because s/he is an Ally.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Today we got bad news from Tennessee: Governor Bill Lee signed into law a bill that allows anti-LGBTQ discrimination in adoption and foster care. This is the first anti-LGBTQ bill signed into law anywhere in the nation in 2020, and it's targeting vulnerable LGBTQ youth and families.

Despite our efforts to stop this bill, some Tennessee legislators followed the Trump administration's lead and prioritized anti-LGBTQ beliefs over protecting the needs of vulnerable children and youth.

However we know this fight isn't over. Your continued support is crucial as we campaign for the federal Every Child Deserves a Family Act to protect LGBTQ+ youth and families from discrimination....

The Rev. Stan J. Sloan
CEO, Family Equality
:roll: :obscene-birdiered:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Yeah, well, "bad news from Tennessee" has been a well worn refrain since the Civil War and on up through the murder of MLK and culminating in the election to public office of human turd buckets like Bill Lee, Marsha Blackburn, and Phil Roe. I've come back to TN to try and keep this kind of abject lunacy from taking hold, but one grain of sand against a tidal wave of dumbass and ignorance is a hard nut to crack.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:56 am
Yeah, well, "bad news from Tennessee" has been a well worn refrain since the Civil War and on up through the murder of MLK and culminating in the election to public office of human turd buckets like Bill Lee, Marsha Blackburn, and Phil Roe. I've come back to TN to try and keep this kind of abject lunacy from taking hold, but one grain of sand against a tidal wave of dumbass and ignorance is a hard nut to crack.
When there are enough grains of sand like you it can really be a beach for the bigots. Keep dune what you're dune.

(LGBT minors) Conversion Therapy Laws (interactive map)

*NOTE: In August 2019, North Carolina's governor banned the use of taxpayer dollars for conversion therapy practices. This does not fully prohibit the practice by state-licensed professionals, as other states have done.

NC is the only state with a partial ban.

Utah, Utah! just became the 19th state to ban conversion therapy for minors, thus making it more progressive than some eastern and many midwestern traditionally more liberal states.

North Carolina's Equality Profile

:puke-left: Pretty poor.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So the Tennessee Republicans are slimey scum-bag homophobes paid off by snake-oil sermoneers - or whatever. But I've found particularly in the Trump era that I have to work harder to keep all the outrageous stuff in perspective. Meaning when some new stupid law is passed or proposed, I consider not just the bad principle, but also question the practical effect. So I wondered, how many adoption agencies are there in Tennessee, and how many of them are "religious-based". The answer to the first is easier than the second. Seems to be about 62 or so licensed agencies, but it's hard to tell from a lot of their names if they're religious-based. https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/dcs/d ... hedule.pdf

It would appear, though, that despicable as the law is, that it's passing probably won't have that much practical effect on a couple's ability to find a child to adopt. A few years ago, nobody would have given a gay couple a child. Now, most places will - possibly even some of the "religious-based."

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:02 pm
So the Tennessee Republicans are slimey scum-bag homophobes paid off by snake-oil sermoneers - or whatever. But I've found particularly in the Trump era that I have to work harder to keep all the outrageous stuff in perspective. Meaning when some new stupid law is passed or proposed, I consider not just the bad principle, but also question the practical effect. So I wondered, how many adoption agencies are there in Tennessee, and how many of them are "religious-based". The answer to the first is easier than the second. Seems to be about 62 or so licensed agencies, but it's hard to tell from a lot of their names if they're religious-based. https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/dcs/d ... hedule.pdf

It would appear, though, that despicable as the law is, that it's passing probably won't have that much practical effect on a couple's ability to find a child to adopt. A few years ago, nobody would have given a gay couple a child. Now, most places will - possibly even some of the "religious-based."
A lot of the dumbass laws the GOP state legislatures throughout the country introduce and pass are just bullshit measures intended to pacify their more rabidly hypocritical or blatantly ignorant but rich donors and suckups. As you note, this particular one may or may not have much of an effect on real life. The whole point was to placate the ignorant by discriminating, officially, against a certain minority that they try to wish or legislate out of existence. By passing these laws, they can affirm their own beliefs that certain people are "bad" or "illegal" or just somehow less of a citizen. It makes them all feel better when people they detest can be classified as "law breakers."

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:43 pm
suckups.
The irony. :gayhappy: :lol:

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Leo Lyons wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:58 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:43 pm
suckups.
The irony. :gayhappy: :lol:
Why, sir, are you insinuating that I am a suckup? And do whom do you allege I suck to? I am aggrieved and despondent. You must explain yourself directly.