Can't make this (stuff) up

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Whack9
Commander

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Whack9 »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:12 am
I just saw a picture of my congressman on the House floor wearing a gas mask.
Why is my congressman on the House floor wearing a gas mask?
Please don't tell me, I could have read the article if I wanted to know. I really don't want to know, but finding myself in the position to ask, why is my congressman on the House floor wearing a gas mask?, I wanted to ask the question.

Okay, all done now.
So he could make headlines in the news cycle to increase his name recognition. He's a Trump syncophant and understands Trump's obsession with ratings, so he's doing what's necessary to climb the MAGA ladder.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:29 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Please don't tell me, I could have read the article if I wanted to know. I really don't want to know, but finding myself in the position to ask, why is my congressman on the House floor wearing a gas mask?, I wanted to ask the question.

Okay, all done now.
So he could make headlines in the news cycle to increase his name recognition. He's a Trump syncophant and understands Trump's obsession with ratings, so he's doing what's necessary to climb the MAGA ladder.
See,you guys are taking about it.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:42 am
Whack9 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Okay, all done now.
Case closed.

I already have a Matt Gaetz poster hanging up in my house.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:59 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Okay, all done now.
Case closed.

Why do I live here?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:02 pm
Whack9 wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Okay, all done now.
Case closed.

Why do I live here?
Because of Matt Gaetz's visionary leadership.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Case closed.

With or without gas mask?
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:02 pm
Why do I live here?
I can't resist:

https://spacecoastdaily.com/2020/03/flo ... irus-bill/

Good chance she brought it on herself, but that poor woman will be forever known as the idiot talking to the asshole on the House floor.

Maybe Gaetz is distracting from the fact that IMPOSPOTUS and the Repugs totally caved in to the patriotic Dems on Covid-19 funding.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Does Daylight Saving Time Conserve Energy?
Recent studies shed some light on the efficiency of seasonally changing the clocks

... People may think that with the time shift, they are conserving electricity otherwise spent on lighting. But recent studies have cast doubt on the energy argument—some research has even found that it ultimately leads to greater power use....
Can daylight saving time hurt the heart? Prepare now for spring

... researchers say when daylight saving time returns, it brings with it a higher chance of having a stroke or heart attack....
Another reason to hate daylight saving time: car crashes

Ditch the switch? Call to go on permanent daylight saving time grows
Changing our clocks twice a year can be confusing — and it might also kill us, studies show. Now activists and some lawmakers are trying to do away with the "antiquated practice."
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:11 am
Does Daylight Saving Time Conserve Energy?
Recent studies shed some light on the efficiency of seasonally changing the clocks

... People may think that with the time shift, they are conserving electricity otherwise spent on lighting. But recent studies have cast doubt on the energy argument—some research has even found that it ultimately leads to greater power use....
Can daylight saving time hurt the heart? Prepare now for spring

... researchers say when daylight saving time returns, it brings with it a higher chance of having a stroke or heart attack....
Another reason to hate daylight saving time: car crashes

Ditch the switch? Call to go on permanent daylight saving time grows
Changing our clocks twice a year can be confusing — and it might also kill us, studies show. Now activists and some lawmakers are trying to do away with the "antiquated practice."

Just links. I hope they are in this thread because of the silliness of the subject.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:28 am
Just links. I hope they are in this thread because of the silliness of the subject.
Just interesting info to me that I was largely unaware of, and I'm not bashful about sharing my opinion once I've formed one, duh. That said, you are free to whine rather than ignore what doesn't interest you like normal people do.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

(sigh) WTF, do these people never travel to a different time zone? Tell us how many people have heart attacks and die crossing the GA/AL line. Hell, billy.p risks traffic accidents and sleepy people every day because of living so close to the line. Are people so rigid in their sleeping habits that they can't adapt when they have to get up early for some event, or do they never sleep in on the weekend? No doubt there is a little re-calibration period, but c'mon folks - it's not life-threatening.

Now if you want to argue for keeping the same time year-round, and you pick keeping daylight time, I'll happily go along. Yukon is doing just that, and today is their last change. BC, WA, OR, and CA have passed or have bills pending to do so also, although states can't change without Congress changing the law - good luck with that anytime soon. The argument against that, of course, is that you get up and get your kids off to school in the darker, but WTH, if you live somewhere like Seattle, it's dark by 3:30 in the middle of the winter anyway, so get used to it. Would you rather get ready to go to work/school in the dark, or spend your late afternoon/evening in the dark?

Anyway, who cares if it does or does not save energy. It might, or not, but that isn't the only or even the most important consideration.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Hell, I'm gonna vote for Twilight Saving Time. I like that part of the day best; not too hot or too bright or too cold or too dark. Actually, I have no preference but lean toward standard time. I think the time should not change; whatever it is, it needs to stay that way. Besides, if they want to change the time, I think they should change it by about four hours at least. No sense in doing something half assed.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

A woman in CA waters a plant for two years before realizing it's a fake plant. :lol:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-w ... 32550.html

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:51 pm
Hell, I'm gonna vote for Twilight Saving Time. I like that part of the day best; not too hot or too bright or too cold or too dark. Actually, I have no preference but lean toward standard time. I think the time should not change; whatever it is, it needs to stay that way. Besides, if they want to change the time, I think they should change it by about four hours at least. No sense in doing something half assed.
Depends a lot on where you actually live. If you live on the left (west) side of the time zone, you're in good shape with reasonable evening/twilight times even on standard time. But if you live on the right (east) side, you always get an earlyish dark and a real early dark in the winter. We noticed a big difference this winter from Naples. Almost an hour difference in sunset time in the middle of winter from here and Naples. Sundown at 4:40 I think was the worst this year. Naples was never earlier than 5:45 or so.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:12 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Depends a lot on where you actually live. If you live on the left (west) side of the time zone, you're in good shape with reasonable evening/twilight times even on standard time. But if you live on the right (east) side, you always get an earlyish dark and a real early dark in the winter. We noticed a big difference this winter from Naples. Almost an hour difference in sunset time in the middle of winter from here and Naples. Sundown at 4:40 I think was the worst this year. Naples was never earlier than 5:45 or so.

That's it. I've lived along the eastern edge of a time zone for all of my life and have always believed that the grass is greener across the line.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:26 pm

That's it. I've lived along the eastern edge of a time zone for all of my life and have always believed that the grass is greener across the line.
It is indeed. That's because the people over the line have another daylight hour to water/fertilize/weed/dump chemicals on their lawn. :lol:

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:12 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
I've spent most of my life in the US Eastern time zone. I still probably lean toward standard time; doesn't bother me to have really short days and early nights in the winter but I don't particularly care for summer when it doesn't get dark until 9 or so ("saving" that daylight). I bet they don't change the clocks up yonder high into the Arctic Circle where it may be night for months or months of day. Time in a bucket.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:34 pm
(sigh) WTF, do these people never travel to a different time zone? Tell us how many people have heart attacks and die crossing the GA/AL line. Hell, billy.p risks traffic accidents and sleepy people every day because of living so close to the line. Are people so rigid in their sleeping habits that they can't adapt when they have to get up early for some event, or do they never sleep in on the weekend? No doubt there is a little re-calibration period, but c'mon folks - it's not life-threatening.

To be fair, the statisticians are finding small possible changes in a country with 330 million, not saying that everyone is a temporal wimp.

... Anyway, who cares if it does or does not save energy. It might, or not, but that isn't the only or even the most important consideration.

It's always been the origination and prime consideration. What do you consider to be more important one/s?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:33 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:28 am
Just interesting info to me that I was largely unaware of, and I'm not bashful about sharing my opinion once I've formed one, duh. That said, you are free to whine rather than ignore what doesn't interest you like normal people do.
I still have no personal opinion on the topic. My work/sleep/play sched has always been haywire and I deal with whatever without upset.

However, it's fascinating that my post has sparked discussion by 4 others, ironically even whiny billy.pilgrim, which is all any of us can hope for when we broach a new subject. Ftw:

:happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:09 pm
I don't like DST because it involves resetting the time on all the time pieces in my possession, at least those without automatic DST adjustment feature.

I'd be fine with standard time all year. I like late sunsets.

The plus about Sunday is that I'll be able to work in the garden longer.
Wait if you like late sunsets, you'd want year around DST. Since DST has later sunsets.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Additional thought: since switching to DST gives us an extra hour of daylight, if we'd stay on standard time all year we'd have less daylight and therefore less global warming (since the sun sets an hour earlier)

Global warming = solved.

/S