Coronavirus

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Whack9
Commander

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:51 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:29 pm
Sometime Lefty wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:43 pm
On April 14th we are flying to Hawaii, staying for 2 weeks then taking a cruise ship to Seattle. Booked in January. Do I have foresight or am I just lucky?
I'm flying into San Jose (where there seems to be a lot of cases) a few days after you hit up Hawaii. Can we be quarantine buddies?
Trump considers travel restrictions to California and Washington in attempt to stop coronavirus spread

If so, I would guess that full refunds are automatic.
Delta is offering 100% credit for flights booked for the month of April. This applies to my trip. So at least I won't be out any money and can reschedule.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:54 am
Well, there's always Oregon. Just talk like an Oakie and they'll wave you on in.
I'm guessing Oregon's next, COVID-19 or not. IMPOSPOTUS hates your entire Left Coast.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:04 pm
Lot of churches have 250-500+ people. I'm guessing the feds/state can't actually require them to curtail meetings, or maybe they can, I don't know. Anyway, we may be in for some well-needed entertainment over the issue soon.
Ignorant guess: They can since it doesn't apply just to churches, and not doing so would be 'establishment of religion'.

Another guess: Churches will want to protect their parishioners and/or not get the negative PR from resisting. They can always livestream services.
I feel everyone here is overlooking the most important aspect of going to church; if the people don't come, the church collects no money.But in these modern times, it's possible that some of the faithful are on the divine automatic withdrawal program. And I was thinking this morning that depending on how bad this virus turns out to be, the "BC" designation for calendar years might change to "before Coronavirus."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:16 am
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 pm
... Another guess: Churches will want to protect their parishioners and/or not get the negative PR from resisting. They can always pay-per-view livestream services.
I feel everyone here is overlooking the most important aspect of going to church; if the people don't come, the church collects no money.But in these modern times, it's possible that some of the faithful are on the divine automatic withdrawal program. And I was thinking this morning that depending on how bad this virus turns out to be, the "BC" designation for calendar years might change to "before Coronavirus."
Thanks.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sometime Lefty wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:43 pm
On April 14th we are flying to Hawaii, staying for 2 weeks then taking a cruise ship to Seattle. Booked in January. Do I have foresight or am I just lucky?
The cruise lines are all starting to shut down, at least into May.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:51 am
I was sort of toying with the idea that when I finally retire, it might be fun to go on one of those cruises, say to Mazatlan or somewhere warm and cozy.

Now, I imagine, a lot of seniors will think twice about getting on a cruise boat, even after this CV19 stuff dies out.
Hell, there's no way I'd go on a cruise ship even if it cost nothing and they let me drive the boat. If it's not Coronavirus, it's something else. These ships have had a continuing problem with infectious disease. For the past two years you'd hear pretty regularly how one ship or another had been infected with the Norovirus or some other shit. When I was in the Navy I went on a lot of cruises and none of us ever got any of that shit. Go Navy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:06 pm
Hell, there's no way I'd go on a cruise ship even if it cost nothing and they let me drive the boat. If it's not Coronavirus, it's something else. These ships have had a continuing problem with infectious disease. For the past two years you'd hear pretty regularly how one ship or another had been infected with the Norovirus or some other shit. When I was in the Navy I went on a lot of cruises and none of us ever got any of that shit. Go Navy.
Same-same when I was a seaman. The only generalized illness was when a bunch of us ate at the same bad restaurant onshore.

Some possible factors:
Generally healthier population to begin with;
Mandated vaccines;
Less widespread and cross-class socializing;
Less partying, which can impair immune response;
Way way less turnover, maybe 2000 people every 2-3 weeks on a cruise ship. Today's norovirus may have come onboard a month or more earlier.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:59 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:31 pm

Your computer can get a coronavirus virus. Forwarded to me from a very trusted EM source:
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2020 12:03 PM
Subject: Malware associated with fake coronavirus map
Importance: High

All,

Please see the (linked) document.
https://secureus202.sgcpanel.com:2096/c ... 4037180420

The bottom line:

"A malicious website pretending to be the live map for Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins University is circulating on the internet waiting for unwitting internet users to visit the website. Visiting the website infects the user with the AZORult trojan, an information stealing program which can exfiltrate a variety of sensitive data."

Please note “[dot]” in the malicious website address below has been added to prevent accidental connection to this website.

“corona-virus-map[dot]com”

Additionally, please be vigilant in examining all emails received as the Coronavirus will likely be used in the subject of many phishing email attempts.

V/r,

Carly J. Sherrod
CIKR Intelligence Analyst
TFO, NC ISAAC Fusion Center

Planning and Homeland Security
North Carolina Department of Public Safety
Division of Emergency Management/ NC ISAAC Fusion Center

1636 Gold Star Drive
Raleigh, NC 27607
(C) 919-215-3474

carly.sherrod@ncdps.gov
CSherrod@ncsbi.gov

Looks like a hoax to me, at best.
The NC EM icons and link must have expired. It's real, confirmed with my NC EM source, and I googled:

https://www.csuci.edu/its/security/covid-19-scam1.htm
https://www.it.ucla.edu/security/cybers ... cases-john
https://blog.reasonsecurity.com/2020/03 ... is-report/
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Buncombe County (Asheville) is banning gatherings of more than 100 people.

81% of food service workers have no paid sick leave. If ill, they have to choose between food/rent/even a job vs infecting many others. :angry-banghead: People are calling for an emergency fix, I'm not sure what that would look like.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:17 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
When I was in the Navy I went on a lot of cruises and none of us ever got any of that shit. Go Navy.
That may be because they haven't invented a condom that prevents CV19.
:lol: Yeah, it's hard to prevent something that is not known to have existed before. The evolution of life forms at the virus level is rapid; every couple of years something new comes along. For a long time I have resigned myself to the notion that what will practically eliminate humans on earth will be a killer virus. This doesn't appear to be the one. But, hell, you know this as a former biological science type guy. And CV-19 was also an aircraft carrier. Go Navy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:42 pm
... But really, when was the last time anyone got infected with an aircraft carrier? ...
Scores of times since WW2. A particularly nasty strain develops in the US.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:42 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:11 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:17 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
When I was in the Navy I went on a lot of cruises and none of us ever got any of that shit. Go Navy.
That may be because they haven't invented a condom that prevents CV19.
:lol: Yeah, it's hard to prevent something that is not known to have existed before. The evolution of life forms at the virus level is rapid; every couple of years something new comes along. For a long time I have resigned myself to the notion that what will practically eliminate humans on earth will be a killer virus. This doesn't appear to be the one. But, hell, you know this as a former biological science type guy. And CV-19 was also an aircraft carrier. Go Navy.
Which is partly why I refer to the virus as CV19; no hyphen.

But really, when was the last time anyone got infected with an aircraft carrier?

But you're right, viruses are very simple things and that is perhaps a reason why they are so adaptable.

However a reason why I don't think humanity will be eliminated by a killer virus is that this would not be in the virus' best interest. With its host gone, it would disappear as well.

Sort of like pickpockets can't survive without crowds.
A virus has no conception of whether it's name has a hyphen or whether it is devouring its host. But you know that.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Nice rant.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Some dude at the gym today was wearing a mask while working out looking like Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat.

No hate, but i don't think it's gonna do him much good seeing as how a gym is probably like a petri dish of nastiness.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Whack9 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:07 pm
Some dude at the gym today was wearing a mask while working out looking like Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat.

No hate, but i don't think it's gonna do him much good seeing as how a gym is probably like a petri dish of nastiness.
Mostly because of being geezers, Lady O and I are going to avoid the gym for a while to see how this goes. Ours isn't usually all that crowded anyway because of the time of day we go, but it would be really easy to touch the wrong thing and wipe your nose or something. I don't care about spending a whole bunch of my hour deep-cleaning their stuff just for a few sets. We still have biking, hiking, beach yoga - which is just like goat yoga except without the goats. All out in the open away from crowds.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Heidi Klum is sick, can't find a COVID-19 test, Heidi Klum!
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Downtown G'ville was like a ghost town tonight. Especially for such a beautiful evening.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:46 am
Downtown G'ville was like a ghost town tonight. Especially for such a beautiful evening.
I considered coming out of retirement to do my part in the crisis, then realized that I'm in the risk group, maybe not quite "high risk". Opps.

Grocery shopping yesterday, mostly for produce, bread, cheese and other perishables. Not that I intentionally stocked up for a crisis or am planning on sealing myself in, but looking at my shelves I could probably go 3 months or more if I forsook perishables.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:04 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:46 am
Not that I intentionally stocked up for a crisis or am planning on sealing myself in, but looking at my shelves I could probably go 3 months or more if I forsook perishables.
Yeah, but do you have three months worth of TP?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:17 pm
Yeah, but do you have three months worth of TP?
Maaaybe. Even the levelheaded Co-op customers have been panic buying, so I only got a 4-pack yesterday (12 is my norm and forget about it for awhile) . One can always skip wiping and hop in the shower.
1312. ETTD.