The Cinema Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:45 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:35 pm
Keanu Reeves Leaves Colbert Speechless With An Incredible Reflection On Death

“I know the ones who love us will miss us,” Reeves said.

Keanu has played a lot of action roles, but John Wick alone has tallied about 212 for the ones who loved them to miss.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/158064 ... -john-wick
https://www.visu.info/john-wick-2-kill-count

I like an action movie as much as anyone, and I'm not an anti-movie violence zealot, but it was all too much or me, to the point of being a caricature of itself. I don't plan to watch #3.
Yeah, Reeves is a good actor, and John Wick a suspension of disbelief type of character. I've seen both John Wicks, the second I didn't think was as good. I like Reeves best in Point Break with Busey and the ex presidents, especially Patrick Swayze. It's one of my favorite movies.
Nothing else on, I did watch John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum, another critical and box office hit. I wasn't impressed. Seems to me that sequential deaths are substituted for any sensible plot. According to one source:
... John Wick has now killed a total of 299 people on-screen....

John Wick's kill count in the first three movies:

77 - John Wick
128 - John Wick Chapter 2
94 - John Wick 3: Parabellum

Jason Voorhees has dispatched 157 people on-screen, while Michael Myers has murdered 140, according to Bloody Disgusting.

The Horror Enthusiast blog also lists bodycounts of Ghostface from the Scream movies as 49, Freddy Krueger of the Nightmare on Elm St franchise as 42 and Jigsaw of the Saw series as 60.

Of course, the John Wick movies are of the action genre rather than horror - but their bodycounts easily rival the likes of Commando (81) and 2008's Rambo (87), via Digital Spy....
Of course, Reeves' drop off from #2 to #3 is more than made up for by the "42 confirmed kills" by his ally, Halle Berry/Sofia Al-Azwar.
https://www.visu.info/john-wick-3-kill-count
Spoiler:
"He shot my dog." He didn't even kill the dog, it had on a bulletproof vest. :problem:
136 deaths in 131 minutes, credits were running during some of that time, and there were probably more not attributable to Reeves or Berry. :o

Wiki: "A sequel, John Wick: Chapter 4, is set to be released on May 27, 2022." :roll:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

They may have to go back to the original John Wick, where the Russian dad asks several "will you kill John Wick?" And one of them will. Meanwhile, others will wring as much money as possible from it all.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 6:53 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:45 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:35 pm
Keanu Reeves Leaves Colbert Speechless With An Incredible Reflection On Death

“I know the ones who love us will miss us,” Reeves said.

Keanu has played a lot of action roles, but John Wick alone has tallied about 212 for the ones who loved them to miss.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/158064 ... -john-wick
https://www.visu.info/john-wick-2-kill-count

I like an action movie as much as anyone, and I'm not an anti-movie violence zealot, but it was all too much or me, to the point of being a caricature of itself. I don't plan to watch #3.
Yeah, Reeves is a good actor, and John Wick a suspension of disbelief type of character. I've seen both John Wicks, the second I didn't think was as good. I like Reeves best in Point Break with Busey and the ex presidents, especially Patrick Swayze. It's one of my favorite movies.
Nothing else on, I did watch John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum, another critical and box office hit. I wasn't impressed. Seems to me that sequential deaths are substituted for any sensible plot. According to one source:
... John Wick has now killed a total of 299 people on-screen....

John Wick's kill count in the first three movies:

77 - John Wick
128 - John Wick Chapter 2
94 - John Wick 3: Parabellum

Jason Voorhees has dispatched 157 people on-screen, while Michael Myers has murdered 140, according to Bloody Disgusting.

The Horror Enthusiast blog also lists bodycounts of Ghostface from the Scream movies as 49, Freddy Krueger of the Nightmare on Elm St franchise as 42 and Jigsaw of the Saw series as 60.

Of course, the John Wick movies are of the action genre rather than horror - but their bodycounts easily rival the likes of Commando (81) and 2008's Rambo (87), via Digital Spy....
Of course, Reeves' drop off from #2 to #3 is more than made up for by the "42 confirmed kills" by his ally, Halle Berry/Sofia Al-Azwar.
https://www.visu.info/john-wick-3-kill-count
Spoiler:
"He shot my dog." He didn't even kill the dog, it had on a bulletproof vest. :problem:
136 deaths in 131 minutes, credits were running during some of that time, and there were probably more not attributable to Reeves or Berry. :o

Wiki: "A sequel, John Wick: Chapter 4, is set to be released on May 27, 2022." :roll:
Uma with 77 doesn't even crack the top 25.

http://www.randalolson.com/2013/12/31/d ... in-movies/

From the comments: "What about the guy on the death star that blew up the whole planet."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:14 am
Uma with 77 doesn't even crack the top 25.

http://www.randalolson.com/2013/12/31/d ... in-movies/
But, she is "the deadliest woman". :-||

Neither does Keanu, but your article is December 31, 2013. Would it now be Thanos, temporarily? There's a little bit of apple and oranges since it's about actors and I was discussing the character John Wick. Does the Matrix's computer program people count in your article's tally? ;)

How many times did Road Runner kill Wile E. Coyote? :shock:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:14 am
From the comments: "What about the guy on the death star that blew up the whole planet."
Only explicit, on-screen deaths count. Implied deaths, like planets or death stars blowing up, aren’t counted. Otherwise, this would just be a list of actors who blew up planets.
:lol:
Let 1 Bronson = 113 career on-screen kills. (Charles Bronson’s tally) Thus:
Mel Gibson: 1.31 Bronsons
Christian Bale: 1.42 Bronsons
Clint Eastwood: 1.83 Bronsons
Arnold Schwarzenegger: 3.27 Bronsons
Slim Pickens wins hands down! Dr. Strangelove. He killed Millions.
I’ve always gone with Patrick Duffy – dropped the A-bomb on Hiroshima
Which actor has killed the most careers?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 12:51 am
Arrival

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543164/pl ... tt_stry_pl

Heady and different 👍
Agreed.
viewtopic.php?p=96530#p96530
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Green Book (2018)

Idk about the pile of awards it got but a pretty good flick, more so for being based on real life.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Paul is a 2011 science fiction comedy film directed by Greg Mottola from a screenplay by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Starring Pegg, Frost and the voice and motion capture of Seth Rogen, the film plot focuses on two science fiction geeks who meet an alien with a sarcastic manner and an appetite for alcohol and cigarettes. Together, they help the alien escape from the Secret Service agents who are pursuing him so that he can return to his home world. The film is a parody of other science-fiction films, especially those of Steven Spielberg, as well as to general science fiction fandom....

:lol: :clap:

O Really - A little serendipity in that much of the action takes place across Wyoming. Thermopolis even gets a mention, though they never end up there.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I was worried that this might be dry, preachy and/or academic, but nothing else was on. It's as compelling, and horrifying, as any other Holocaust film:
Paragraph 175 (2000)

... The film chronicles the lives of several gay men and one lesbian who were persecuted by the Nazis. The gay men were arrested by the Nazis for the crime of homosexuality under Paragraph 175, the sodomy provision of the German penal code, dating back to 1871. Between 1933 and 1945, 100,000 men were arrested under Paragraph 175. Some were imprisoned, others were sent to concentration camps. Only about 4,000 survived.

In 2000, fewer than ten of these men were known to be living. Five come forward in the documentary to tell their stories for the first time, considered to be among the last untold stories of the Third Reich.

Paragraph 175 tells of a gap in the historical record and reveals the lasting consequences, as told through personal stories of gay men and women who lived through it, including: Karl Gorath; Gad Beck, the half-Jewish resistance fighter who spent the war helping refugees escape Berlin; Annette Eick, a Jewish lesbian who escaped to England with the help of a woman she loved; Albrecht Becker, German Christian photographer, who was arrested and imprisoned for homosexuality, then joined the army on his release because he "wanted to be with men"; and Pierre Seel, the Alsatian teenager, who watched as his lover was eaten alive by dogs in the camps.
Rotten Tomatoes
94% Critics, 84% Audience

Awards
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Oldie, holds up well:
Night Moves (1975 film)

Night Moves is a 1975 American neo-noir film directed by Arthur Penn, and starring Gene Hackman, Jennifer Warren, Susan Clark, with supporting performances from Melanie Griffith and James Woods. Its plot follows a Los Angeles private investigator who uncovers a series of sinister events while searching for the missing teenage daughter of a famous actress.

Hackman was nominated for a BAFTA Award for his portrayal of private investigator Harry Moseby. The film has been called "a seminal modern noir work from the 1970s", which refers to its relationship with the film noir tradition of detective films. The original screenplay is by Scottish writer Alan Sharp.

Although Night Moves was not considered particularly successful at the time of its release, it has attracted viewers and significant critical attention following its videotape and DVD releases. In 2010, Manohla Dargis described it as "the great, despairing Night Moves (1975), with Gene Hackman as a private detective who ends up circling the abyss, a no‑exit comment on the post-1968, post-Watergate times."
Melanie Griffith's debut, 16 for most of the filming, 18 for the nude scenes.
Young James Woods.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Arrival

Heady and different 👍
Starring Heady Lamarr?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:02 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Arrival

Heady and different 👍
Starring Heady Lamarr?
Do try to stay on topic please.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:06 am
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:02 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Arrival

Heady and different 👍
Starring Heady Lamarr?
Heady Lamarr has a long list of cinematic accomplishments.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

From Wikipedia:
Heady Lamarr (/ˈhɛdi/, born Headwig Eva Maria Kiesler; 9 November 1914[a] – 19 January 2000) was an Austrian-born American actress, inventor, and film producer. She appeared in 30 films over a 28-year career in Europe and the United States, and co-invented an early version of frequency-hopping spread spectrum communication, originally intended for torpedo guidance.[3][4][5]

Lamarr was born in Vienna, Austria-Hungary, and acted in a number of Austrian, German, and Czech films in her brief early film career, including the controversial Ecstasy (1933). In 1937, she fled from her husband, a wealthy Austrian ammunition manufacturer, secretly moving to Paris and then on to London. There, she met Louis B. Mayer, head of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) studio, who offered her a Hollywood movie contract, where he began promoting her as "the world's most beautiful woman".[6]

She became a star through her performance in Algiers (1938), her first American film.[7] She starred opposite Clark Gable in Boom Town and Comrade X (both 1940), and James Stewart in Come Live with Me and Ziegfeld Girl (both 1941). Her other MGM films include Lady of the Tropics (1939), H.M. Pulham, Esq. (1941), as well as Crossroads and White Cargo (both 1942); she was also borrowed by Warner Bros. for The Conspirators, and by RKO for Experiment Perilous (both 1944). Dismayed by being typecast, Lamarr co-founded a new production studio and starred in its films: The Strange Woman (1946), and Dishonored Lady (1947).[8](c. 50m35s–52m40s) Probably her best known role was playing Delilah in Cecil B. DeMille's Samson and Delilah (1949).[9] She also acted on television, before the release of her final film, The Female Animal (1958). She was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1960.[10]

At the beginning of World War II, Lamarr and composer George Anthill developed a radio guidance system using frequency-hopping spread spectrum technology for Allied torpedoes, intended to defeat the threat of jamming by the Axis powers.[11] She also helped improve aircraft aerodynamics for Howard Hughes, while they dated during the war.[12] Although the US Navy did not adopt Lamarr and Anthill's invention until 1957,[4][13] various spread-spectrum techniques are incorporated into Bluetooth technology and are similar to methods used in legacy versions of Wi-Fi.[14][15][16] Recognition of the value of their work resulted in the pair being posthumously inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2014.[11][17]
Apparently Heady was also quite an inventive lady.

And George Anthill's music is quite bizarre.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:06 am
The child thinks it's some sort of victory to post after me, even when it's utter nonsense.
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:15 am
From Wikipedia:
Heady Lamarr (/ˈhɛdi/, born Headwig Eva Maria Kiesler; 9 November 1914[a] – 19 January 2000) was an Austrian-born American actress, inventor, and film producer....
Pathetic liar, desperately covering up your screw up. Sad. Wikipedia actually writes:
What is wrong with you?
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Some people let their OCD go to their headys, and then they start making mountains out of ant hills.

Sad.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I wonder if anyone will ever make a movie about an old guy out west who spends his time conceiving of ways to attract and torture wildlife. The old Dr. Doolittle (he made the animals talk) film don't count as it was partially fantasy. I'm talking about a goddamn direct current real deal thing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:48 am
I wonder if anyone will ever make a movie about an old guy out west who spends his time conceiving of ways to attract and torture wildlife. The old Dr. Doolittle (he made the animals talk) film don't count as it was partially fantasy. I'm talking about a goddamn direct current real deal thing.
:D You've heard of SWATting, right? If there was such a nasty old guy out west like that irl we could PETA him.
https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-in- ... n-film-tv/
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:36 am
Some people let their OCD go to their headys, and then they start making mountains out of ant hills.

Sad.
Yet another stupid, cowardly and desperately deflecting answer to a question. Pitiful.

Here’s another one for you to cower from, pussy - Why was your misspelling such a “mountain” to you that you went to the infantile extent of revising Wiki? Normal people with a spine would have just said “Oops” and admitted their error. Or, normal people with a brain would have just let their error slide. I saw it immediately and that's what I did, but rewriting Wiki was just too outrageously stupid and immature of you for me to pass up.

The really funny thing here is that you got butthurt at me elsewhere so you got the idiotic notion in your head that you would somehow be showing me up by posting gibberish after me in this thread last night. Instead, you just made a bigger ass of yourself than you already were. Good one.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4627&p=140696#p140696
1312. ETTD.