What are you watching?

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: What are you watching?

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:11 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:20 am
O Really wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:24 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:45 pm
That'd be a double negative.
Yep, which turns it into a positive. Like "he didn't not do it" means "he did it." Fiction is by definition not fact so fake fiction (not fiction) would have to be fact. Or not. ;)
So, you're saying that there really was a Crabby Appleton?
Definitely.

Imposters!

https://youtu.be/CAU3FNua3cE
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:54 am
O Really wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:33 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:19 pm
More like the mother of all Star Wars types of stories
"Foundation is a science fiction novel by American writer Isaac Asimov"
Oh. That Foundation. Yeah, I missed it. Seems it ought to have been on my reading list sometime.
I really (seriously) thought that everyone over 60 who had ever read any science fiction had read this. Even Osama and Elon have read it - it's flying through space as we speak - where have you guys been?

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... ur-screens

"In the 1960s, the Foundation Trilogy was featured as a bonus by the Science Fiction Book Club. A big, thick hardcover, it came free to subscribers and introduced a great many readers to science fiction. In time, it was judged the greatest SF trilogy of the age. It's influenced everything from later galactic empires – including Star Wars – to television [shows] like The Expanse."

Fans of Foundation include Elon Musk, who placed a copy of the original trilogy onboard the David Bowie-playing Tesla Roadster launched into space in 2018. Prominent Republican politician Newt Gingrich used to encourage his staff to read the books. The award-winning economist Paul Krugman has said that "economics is as close to psychohistory as you can get".

Its influence has not been entirely benign. The Japanese doomsday cult Aum Shinrikyo, responsible for the 1995 terror attack on the Tokyo subway that claimed 13 lives, believed they were going to rebuild the world after a coming apocalypse with a community of scientists modelled on Hari Seldon's Foundation. It has even been speculated that Osama bin Laden read the books – al-Qaeda can be translated as 'foundation'. However, the vast majority of readers have understood that Asimov's message is ultimately one of hope about the future of humanity."

"Goyer has said he hopes the saga can unfold over 80 episodes"

"He has also changed some of the characters. "When the first book was written there were virtually no female characters," he says. "The science fiction audience at the time was mostly male." Several key characters who were men in the books are now women."

First 2 episodes are on Friday.
I'm about to give it a look. This guy doesn't seem impressed.

https://gizmodo.com/they-said-foundatio ... 1847731204
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Thanks for watching it and taking one for the team.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:46 pm
I give it an okay. Since it's a series, it may take a few more episodes for characters to develop. All in all, probably just another star wars story. Cool special effects.

O Really
Admiral

We started "Midnight Mass" - a 7-episode series on Netflix. Episode 1 and 2 were good - we'll see how it goes.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81083626

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Starting The Morning Show.

Edit: Three episodes in. Interesting, I'll watch more. Makes we wonder how much of the show is based on some sort of reality if any. And if it is, it's a shitty business.

Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon are very different characters than I'm used to seeing them play, they're showing some chops (but there's still a tiny part of me saying "Rachel doesn't do that").
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:28 pm
O Really wrote:
I give it an okay. Since it's a series, it may take a few more episodes for characters to develop. All in all, probably just another star wars story. Cool special effects.
https://www.vulture.com/article/foundat ... -plus.html

The most accurate review I've read

"Nevertheless, it clearly achieves the thing it seems like it most set out to do: be a more engaging alternative to the free Apple TV screensaver, or at least engaging enough to justify the cost of a subscription."

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:48 pm

Edit: Three episodes in. Interesting, I'll watch more. Makes we wonder how much of the show is based on some sort of reality if any. And if it is, it's a shitty business.

Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon are very different characters than I'm used to seeing them play, they're showing some chops (but there's still a tiny part of me saying "Rachel doesn't do that").
Advantage to me - I've never watched Friends

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:46 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:

"Nevertheless, it clearly achieves the thing it seems like it most set out to do: be a more engaging alternative to the free Apple TV screensaver, or at least engaging enough to justify the cost of a subscription."

Hmmmm, as someone who's never read the books I'm not feeling too compelled.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:37 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:46 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:

Hmmmm, as someone who's never read the books I'm not feeling too compelled.
You might like it more. Kinda like the Morning Show. I've never watched Anniston in anything, so I don't get mixed up with the "Rachel doesn't do that" feelings.

I keep focusing on what was left out, you wouldn't have that.

2 episodes out now with a new episode every Friday. Should be interesting to hear what the people who haven't read the books have to say. Right now all I'm reading is disappointment that it isn't as big and rich as the books.

O Really
Admiral

"Midnight Mass" now starting to get weirder. Spontaneous bleeding, drinking blood, visits by dark angels badly in need of manicures. Not a Stephen King story, but could be.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:47 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:48 pm

Advantage to me - I've never watched Friends
I share that prize. Also never seen Mad Men or Breaking Bad. Plus many others.

O Really
Admiral

"Midnight Mass" - A Jonesboro type cult with apocalypsing zombie vampires and a small group of the uninfected trying to save the world.
Actually wasn't bad for a chilly rainy day in backwoodsy Snohomish, but it didn't have to be 7 episodes to tell the story.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:46 am
"Midnight Mass" - A Jonesboro type cult with apocalypsing zombie vampires and a small group of the uninfected trying to save the world.
Actually wasn't bad for a chilly rainy day in backwoodsy Snohomish, but it didn't have to be 7 episodes to tell the story.
Sounds like a World War Z (which actually was a good movie) ripoff.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:29 pm
O Really wrote:
I read the book, but the trailer looked so different that I never saw it. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:30 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:29 pm
O Really wrote:
I read the book, but the trailer looked so different that I never saw it. Maybe I'll give it a shot.
I usually don't like zombie type movies but this one grabbed me.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Watched Jon Stewart's new show. Safe terrorist, but same ol' Jon.

Other apple tv reviews
Ted Lasso is skill crazy good and
I'm liking Foundation and the Morning Show
There's more, but this plus Saturday football puts me over my tv limit.

Not bad for 5 bucks/month

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Mostly I watch PBS stuff. I save a lot to DVD, so I can enjoy it later.

Currently local stations have been showing a very good program about the Hearst family. Four hours total. I didn't realize he was such a Big Deal in America. Poor Patty.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:37 am
Mostly I watch PBS stuff. I save a lot to DVD, so I can enjoy it later.

Currently local stations have been showing a very good program about the Hearst family. Four hours total. I didn't realize he was such a Big Deal in America. Poor Patty.
So, when do you try out your new roku?