College football

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: College football

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:05 am
Regarding Brian Kelley, et. al., I don't have enough interest to dig into it, but does anybody know why it was necessary for those guys to quit/change now instead of waiting until after the (or at least their) football season was over? Seems pretty classless to me. On the part of the schools as well as the coaches.
This aspect would really suck:
First, Brian Kelly decided he didn’t want to coach Notre Dame any longer, even though the team still has a viable chance of being selected to the College Football Playoff this weekend.

That must have stung the Fighting Irish players.

Then, it turns out, Kelly’s decision to bail before the playoff field is selected could play a role in keeping Notre Dame out of the tournament.

That would be a vicious double knee-capping, even in a sport long defined by merciless, callous and often comically corrupt behavior.

So here is a basic plea to the 13 members of the college football selection committee: Just because the protocols task you with “considering … relevant factors … such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may … or likely will affect [a team’s] postseason performance” ... that doesn’t mean you should.

So don’t. Don’t punish Notre Dame's players who did nothing wrong. Don’t downgrade a team because its coach quit. Don’t assume that losing Kelly, who took over at LSU on Monday, is somehow a detriment....
I agree.
Notre Dame is ranked No. 6 in the penultimate playoff rankings. At 11-1, its regular season is over. The Irish can still climb into the top four, however, if just two of the following results happen this weekend:

Georgia defeats Alabama in moderately sound fashion

Iowa defeats Michigan

Houston defeats Cincinnati

Baylor defeats Oklahoma State

None of those results are far-fetched. Georgia is even expected to do its part. And then the Irish need only one more of the above. Their postseason chances aren’t great, but considering the wild nature of this sport, they sure aren’t nothing either.
Opps, I forgot to include Iowa defeating Michigan in my Notre Dame calculus on the prior page. Go Hawkeyes!

"moderately sound fashion"? :bs: If Alabama loses its last game it should be out.

Say that 2 of the 1st 3 happen and Baylor defeats Oklahoma State. Notre Dame is in, but who else?
3. Alabama now 11-2 even if it got stomped?
7. Ohio State 10-2?
8. Ole Miss 10-2? Not sure what the excuse would be to skip by Ohio State. Maybe strength of sched changes from this weekend's results?
9. Baylor now 11-2? Strong case after beating #5 :puke-left: :puke-left: :puke-left: Sigh. I guess I'm rooting for Baylor since I prefer Notre Dame over Oklahoma State, but it could backfire.
10. Oregon now 11-2 after beating #17 Utah 9-3? Minuscule possibility. Among other things Baylor would have to barely win ugly while Oregon crushes Utah.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

If Alabama loses to Georgia and still gets selected we'll know fershure there's been a buncha money passed or somebody on the selection committee got caught with a sheep - and an ugly sheep at that.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:25 pm
If Alabama loses to Georgia and still gets selected we'll know fershure there's been a buncha money passed or somebody on the selection committee got caught with a sheep - and an ugly sheep at that.
The PSC has never chosen a 2-loss team. It may be forced to under some of the scenarios I've listed above. Its alternative would be, you guessed it, #19 San Diego State 11-1. ;)
https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football/rankings/

Alabama got in with 1 loss in 2014–15 and 2015–16. Several other 1-loss teams were left in the cold those years.
In 2017–18 the SEC's Alabama and Georgia both got in with 1 loss. 1-loss Wisconsin and the rest of the Big 10 were excluded.
The PSC has excluded several unbeaten non-Power 5 teams. Cincinnati may break that pattern.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_F ... ns_by_year
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Official: Notre Dame promotes Marcus Freeman to replace Brian Kelly

Notre Dame stayed in-house for Brian Kelly's replacement.

Days after Yahoo Sports' Pete Thamel reported that Notre Dame defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman was expected to become the team's next head coach after going through the Irish's formal hiring process, Notre Dame made Freeman's hire official on Friday....

Freeman came to Notre Dame from Cincinnati after the 2020 season and replaces Kelly after a year in South Bend....

Notre Dame has allowed 18 points per game and 5.1 yards per play in 2021. The Fighting Irish are currently No. 6 in the College Football Playoff rankings after an 11-1 regular season. Notre Dame could make the College Football Playoff if two teams above it in the rankings lose Saturday. If Notre Dame makes the playoff, it would be the first school to have its coach leave for another job in the same season it made the playoff.

Freeman played at Ohio State

Freeman, 35, played linebacker at Ohio State and briefly played in the NFL for multiple teams.
He's young.
... Notre Dame’s defense has 40 sacks this season and has scored four touchdowns. That defensive success was part of the reason why Kelly reportedly offered Freeman a significant pay raise to come with him to Baton Rouge and be LSU’s new defensive coordinator.
Looks like Notre Dame’s choice was to make him head coach or lose him.
Amid this season's head coach hiring cycle, Freeman is the lone African American to land an opening at an FBS school.
My bad if I'm forgetting, but:
Has Notre Dame ever had a Black head coach?
Has a Black head coach ever made it to the Playoff?
Has a Black head coach ever been National Champion? Could be this year.

FU Kelly, but it may turn out fine.
Oklahoma the biggest job remaining

With Notre Dame staying in-house for its next coach, that leaves Oklahoma as the biggest job remaining in college football. The Sooners are looking to replace Lincoln Riley after he left for USC after OU's loss to Oklahoma State.

Riley's move was one of the first in a host of Power Five coaching moves in recent days. Washington hired Fresno State's Kalen DeBoer, Penn State defensive coordinator Brent Pry is the new coach at Virginia Tech and Florida has hired Louisiana's Billy Napier. TCU also announced SMU's Sonny Dykes as its new coach and Washington State promoted interim coach Jake Dickert into the permanent job.
None of these schools have Playoff prospects, and the article doesn't say whether any of the coaches besides Dickert are staying on until after the Bowls.

Internet has jokes for Brian Kelly's accent in speech to LSU fans

Too many funnies to post, so here's just one:

(Idk if the timing is accurate, but the point is made)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Tonight, 8:00 PM EST on ABC:
GO Oregon (10) 10-2, 1st PAC12 North Division FBS > 2.5 point favorite Utah (17) 9-3, 1st PAC12 South Division. Game in Las Vegas. @Utah won 38 - 7 on Nov 20, ut-oh. Stomp them, Ducks!

Tonight, 9:00 PM EST, ESPN+ (grrr):
GO @6-seed Montana (9-2) > 3.5 point underdog Eastern Wash (10-2). Odds are that it's Montana's last home game. Too bad they didn't draw a southern team in Dec, but it'll be 43 at kickoff, 40 at final whistle - wouldn't have made that much difference. Montana lost 28-34 @Eastern Wash on 10/2, but is currently on a 5-game win streak. Stomp them, Griz!

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:26 pm
Tonight, 8:00 PM EST on ABC:
GO Oregon (10) 10-2, 1st PAC12 North Division FBS > 2.5 point favorite Utah (17) 9-3, 1st PAC12 South Division. Game in Las Vegas.
Nope.
@Utah won 38 - 7 on Nov 20, ut-oh.
At least the Ducks are improving. 38 - 10. :angry-banghead:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:26 pm
Tonight, 9:00 PM EST, ESPN+ (grrr):
GO @6-seed Montana (9-2) > 3.5 point underdog Eastern Wash (10-2). Odds are that it's Montana's last home game. Too bad they didn't draw a southern team in Dec, but it'll be 43 at kickoff, 40 at final whistle - wouldn't have made that much difference. Montana lost 28-34 @Eastern Wash on 10/2, but is currently on a 5-game win streak. Stomp them, Griz!
Whew, pretty equal game except that Montana kicked ass in the 3rd quarter 24-7. The final score was 57-41. Eastern Wash dominated most categories other than Montana's 208 net rushing yards, 131 kick returns yards and 2 takeaways.
http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcas ... slive=mont

Today Southeastern La (9-3) plays @3 seed James Madison (10-1). Can't get much more southern than Southeastern La. If it wins Montana gets another Dec home game :twisted: . If James Madison wins Montana travels to Harrisonburg, Virginia. :thumbdown:

GO:

@8-seed Montana St (9-2) > UTenn Martin (10-2). Kickoff in Bozeman 53 °F, lucky UTM.
University of the Incarnate Word (10-2, San Antonio TX) > @1-seed Sam Houston (10-0) so that Montana St gets another home game if it wins today.

Houston (21) 11-1, 1st AAC vs Cincinnati (4) 12-0, 1st AAC. Mixed feelings, go football.
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:06 pm
... Sigh. I guess I'm rooting for Baylor since I prefer Notre Dame over Oklahoma State, but it could backfire....
GO:

< holds nose > Baylor (9) 10-2, 2nd BIG12 > Oklahoma St. (5) 11-1, 1st BIG12.
SDSU (19) 11-1, 1st MWC West Division > Utah St 9-3, 1st MWC Mountain Division. Good luck!
Appalachian State 10-2, 1st SBELT East Division > Louisiana (24) 11-1, 1st SBELT West Division. Mountaineers rule!
< holds nose > Georgia (1) 12-0, 1st SEC East Division > Alabama (3) 11-1, 1st SEC West Division.
Pittsburgh (15) 10-2, 1st ACC Coastal Division > Wake Forest (16) 10-2, 1st ACC Atlantic Division.
Iowa (13) 10-2, 1st BTEN West Division > Michigan (2) 11-1, 1st BTEN East Division.
@California 4-7 > USC 4-7 :headscratch: Is this a makeup game?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:28 am
Today Southeastern La (9-3) plays @3 seed James Madison (10-1). Can't get much more southern than Southeastern La. If it wins Montana gets another Dec home game :twisted: . If James Madison wins Montana travels to Harrisonburg, Virginia. :thumbdown:
Yikes, James Madison is leading 52-13 in the 3rd. Montana's season may end in Harrisonburg. :(
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:06 pm
... Sigh. I guess I'm rooting for Baylor since I prefer Notre Dame over Oklahoma State, but it could backfire....
GO:

< holds nose > Baylor (9) 10-2, 2nd BIG12 > Oklahoma St. (5) 11-1, 1st BIG12.
Whew, heretofore anemic Oklahoma St puts together a brilliant prospective game-ending 89 yard drive, comes up 1/2 yard short after a killer goal line stand by Baylor. Bears win 21-16 :thumbup: . Now, let's hope they're kept out of the Playoff.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
GO:

@8-seed Montana St (9-2) > UTenn Martin (10-2). Kickoff in Bozeman 53 °F, lucky UTM.
Yes, a solid 26-7.
University of the Incarnate Word (10-2, San Antonio TX) > @1-seed Sam Houston (10-0) so that Montana St gets another home game if it wins today.
Sam Houston wins with a TD with 2:07 left. Or not. UIW drove all the way to the Sam Houston 1, but couldn't punch it in, 42-49. Check this out, UIW QB CAMERON WARD: 39/61 64% 481 yds! 5 TDs! 0 INT 157.2 rating!
Montana St will have a chance in in Huntsville, Texas.

Houston (21) 11-1, 1st AAC vs Cincinnati (4) 12-0, 1st AAC. Mixed feelings, go football.
Cincinnati Playoff baby, 1st ever for the "Group of 5 (horrible nickname)".

SDSU (19) 11-1, 1st MWC West Division > Utah St 9-3, 1st MWC Mountain Division. Good luck!
Ouch, sorry.
Appalachian State 10-2, 1st SBELT East Division > Louisiana (24) 11-1, 1st SBELT West Division. Mountaineers rule!
Crap 16-24.
< holds nose > Georgia (1) 12-0, 1st SEC East Division > Alabama (3) 11-1, 1st SEC West Division.
Yuck, 2 SEC teams in the Playoff. Go Iowa, put Notre Dame (and hopefully not Baylor) in the Playoff.
2-5 wishes on the day so far, 3-6 for the weekend.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
GO:

Pittsburgh (15) 10-2, 1st ACC Coastal Division > Wake Forest (16) 10-2, 1st ACC Atlantic Division.
Yay!
Iowa (13) 10-2, 1st BTEN West Division > Michigan (2) 11-1, 1st BTEN East Division.
Boo! I guess I'm rooting for Cincy now. Sigh, not that I'm a fan but I hope they rep the the "Group of 5" well. I'll bet that the PSC does not match GA and AL in the first game. So, both Cincy and Mich will have an SEC opponent.
Big whoop, go Cal, relish that 5-7 record.
4-6 on the day, 5-7 for the weekend.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:54 am
Vrede too wrote:
GO:

Yay!
Boo! I guess I'm rooting for Cincy now. Sigh, not that I'm a fan but I hope they rep the the "Group of 5" well. I'll bet that the PSC does not match GA and AL in the first game. So, both Cincy and Mich will have an SEC opponent.
Big whoop, go Cal, relish that 5-7 record.
4-6 on the day, 5-7 for the weekend.
That's the way the sec guys planned it.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:17 am
Vrede too wrote:
... I'll bet that the PSC does not match GA and AL in the first game. So, both Cincy and Mich will have an SEC opponent....
That's the way the sec guys planned it.
So it will be an all SEC Championship game? Could be. Idk what the seeding "should be", but I can't really argue with GA and AL being in the Playoff, dammit. Notre Dame has a strong case, but it probably won't do them any good. It also got stomped by a Playoff team, Cincinnati. AL lost to the weakest opponent, #25 TAMU. However, GA and AL both beat ranked opponents - GA's are weaker - while Notre Dame didn't best a single one.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
... I'll bet that the PSC does not match GA and AL in the first game. So, both Cincy and Mich will have an SEC opponent....
:wave:
Go Cincy.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Final College Football Playoff rankings (also AP rankings)

1. Alabama (1) 12-1 up2 :puke-left: Go Cincinnati!
2. Michigan (2) 12-1 :puke-left:
3. Georgia (3) 12-1 :puke-left: down2
4. Cincinnati (4) 13-0. 14-0? 15-0?
5. Notre Dame (5) 11-1 up1. So close. Beat #9 Oklahoma State!
6. Ohio State (7) 10-2 up1.
7. Baylor (6) 11-2 up2 :puke-left:
8. Ole Miss (8) 10-2. Beat #7 Baylor!
9. Oklahoma State (9) :puke-left: 11-2 down4. Ouch.
10. Michigan State (11) 10-2 up1 :puke-left:

12. Pittsburgh (13) 11-2 up3 :thumbup: Beat #10 Michigan State!

14. Oregon (15) 10-3 down4. Ouch. Beat #16 Oklahoma!

18. North Carolina State (18) 9-3. Decent year. Bowl vs UCLA.
19. Clemson (19) 9-3 up1 :puke-left: Lose to Iowa State 7-5.

24. San Diego State (unranked) 11-2 down5. Ending ranked is something, congrats! Beat UTSA 12-1!

Others with AP votes:

(28) San Diego State

(31) Appalachian State 10-3. Beat W. Kentucky 8-5!
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:bs:

https://sports.yahoo.com/watch-pitt-qb- ... irculation
Not a fan of either team, so this is an unbiased opinion, but faking a slide should be unsportsmanlike conduct. If defensive players are required by rule to avoid contact beginning at the start of a slide, you should not be able to start then stop a slide. The defensive players have no choice but to back off or risk taking a 15 yard penalty so to continue to run after that should not be allowed.

That or refs should remove slide protection from any QB that does it for the rest of that game. You want to fake a slide, now the defense has full go and you don't get to slide anymore.
:thumbup:

Pitt won 45 - 21, so it didn't matter that much.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

FCS quarterfinals, bracket
Tonight, 7:00 PM EST On ESN2
Go Montana 9-2 > 6.5 point favorite @James Madison 10-1. Griz rule!

This was fast. Good.
NCAA instructs officials to more strictly enforce slide rule after Kenny Pickett fake slides to TD

... NCAA: No more Kenny Pickett fake slides

The NCAA delivered its answer on Thursday via national coordinator of football officials Steve Shaw, who said in a bulletin that plays like Pickett's run should be blown dead as soon as the runner starts indicating a slide.

The nitty-gritty of the ruling:
... Any time a ball carrier begins, simulates, or fakes a feet-first slide, the ball should be declared dead by the on field officials at that point. The intent of the rule is player safety, and the objective is to give a ball carrier an option to end the play by sliding feet first and to avoid contact. To allow the ball carrier to fake a slide would compromise the defense that is being instructed to let up when the ball carrier slides feet first. A fake slide will not be considered reviewable under Rule 12-3-3 – Dead Ball and Loose Ball.
Basically, the NCAA is telling its officials to call any would-be Pickett copycats down if they fake a slide, under its rule saying a ball carrier is down when he "obviously begins a feet-first slide."

It's a ruling that makes sense, because the whole point of calling a ball carrier down as soon as he starts sliding is player safety. The defense shouldn't have any doubt a player is down once it looks like he's given himself up, otherwise you're asking for a lot of flags and potential injuries. Of course, it could be argued that Wake Forest's defenders gave up way more quickly than they should have.

Fortunately for everyone's peace of mind, the game ended up not really hinging on the touchdown. Pitt would eventually win by a convincing score of 45-21, with Pickett going 20-of-33 with 253 passing yards and two touchdowns through the air....
:clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:41 am
Ugh, routed. Next year. Go:

Tomorrow night, 8:30 PM EST
Montana St 9-2 > 7 point favorite @Sam Houston 10-0. Kitties rule!

On ESP+ - Grrr.
ESPN is showing the Heisman Trophy Ceremony for 1 hour, fair enough, and non-title boxing. :roll:
ESPN2 is showing UFC "Prelims". :roll:
ESPNEWS is showing Tony Hawk's 900 from 1999! :roll: , and non-playoffs NLL Lacrosse. :roll:
ESPNU is showing NCAA Tournament Women's College Volleyball, fair enough.

It pisses me off that I already pay for 4 ESPN channels and they want me to pay for a 5th one.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:41 am

This was fast. Good.
NCAA instructs officials to more strictly enforce slide rule after Kenny Pickett fake slides to TD

... NCAA: No more Kenny Pickett fake slides

The NCAA delivered its answer on Thursday via national coordinator of football officials Steve Shaw, who said in a bulletin that plays like Pickett's run should be blown dead as soon as the runner starts indicating a slide.

The nitty-gritty of the ruling:
... Any time a ball carrier begins, simulates, or fakes a feet-first slide, the ball should be declared dead by the on field officials at that point. The intent of the rule is player safety, and the objective is to give a ball carrier an option to end the play by sliding feet first and to avoid contact. To allow the ball carrier to fake a slide would compromise the defense that is being instructed to let up when the ball carrier slides feet first. A fake slide will not be considered reviewable under Rule 12-3-3 – Dead Ball and Loose Ball.
Basically, the NCAA is telling its officials to call any would-be Pickett copycats down if they fake a slide, under its rule saying a ball carrier is down when he "obviously begins a feet-first slide."

It's a ruling that makes sense, because the whole point of calling a ball carrier down as soon as he starts sliding is player safety. The defense shouldn't have any doubt a player is down once it looks like he's given himself up, otherwise you're asking for a lot of flags and potential injuries. Of course, it could be argued that Wake Forest's defenders gave up way more quickly than they should have.

Fortunately for everyone's peace of mind, the game ended up not really hinging on the touchdown. Pitt would eventually win by a convincing score of 45-21, with Pickett going 20-of-33 with 253 passing yards and two touchdowns through the air....
:clap:
Good rule, but will it be enforced?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:10 am

:bs:

https://sports.yahoo.com/watch-pitt-qb- ... irculation
Not a fan of either team, so this is an unbiased opinion, but faking a slide should be unsportsmanlike conduct. If defensive players are required by rule to avoid contact beginning at the start of a slide, you should not be able to start then stop a slide. The defensive players have no choice but to back off or risk taking a 15 yard penalty so to continue to run after that should not be allowed.

That or refs should remove slide protection from any QB that does it for the rest of that game. You want to fake a slide, now the defense has full go and you don't get to slide anymore.
:thumbup:

Pitt won 45 - 21, so it didn't matter that much.
Could he have changed his mind about sliding when he saw he had a chance to run?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:54 pm

Could he have changed his mind about sliding when he saw he had a chance to run?
I don't have a problem with the rule change, but I didn't think from the replay vid that he was faking. I did think he just changed his mind.