The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:34 am
Colin Powell. No, wait. I guess I'll go with Adam Kinzinger. And back in 74, Senate Republicans rightly acted like Nixon was a stack of shit on fire they didn't want to be associated with. These days, virtually all Republicans seek out the brightest, most pungent flaming stack of shit among a plethora of choices and they shamelessly crow over their chosen one. sick fucks
Kinzinger does appear rational. Oh well, he won't last.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:14 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Colin Powell. No, wait. I guess I'll go with Adam Kinzinger. And back in 74, Senate Republicans rightly acted like Nixon was a stack of shit on fire they didn't want to be associated with. These days, virtually all Republicans seek out the brightest, most pungent flaming stack of shit among a plethora of choices and they shamelessly crow over their chosen one. sick fucks
He's already announced he's not running for the House again. There's noises he might run for governor.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:08 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
He's already announced he's not running for the House again. There's noises he might run for governor.
The fact that he refuses to compete with the bozos and morally decrepit trumpy acolytes automatically ejects him from what the newbie moans as the dearth of "moral" Republicans. Sorry,newbie, forgot your name.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Would you conceivably vote for him over a Dem?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

If a person lies in claiming a religious exemption to the vaccine, will they burn in hell?
If a parent lies in claiming a religious exemption to the vaccine for their child, will the child burn in hell or just the parent?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:47 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Would you conceivably vote for him over a Dem?
Meh, I'm not overly enamored with Pritzker and I'd certainly listen to what he has to say.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Kinsey's best hope may be to run as an independent.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:51 pm
If a person lies in claiming a religious exemption to the vaccine, will they burn in hell?
If a parent lies in claiming a religious exemption to the vaccine for their child, will the child burn in hell or just the parent?
If a person lies in claiming a religious exemption to the vaccine, they will get the virus and possibly die; viruses hate lies about religious exemptions because they don't believe in them in the first place; lying about them is way worse.

If a parent lies in claiming a religious exemption to the vaccine for their child, the child will get the virus and possibly die. The shame and guilt that then falls on the parent is a just reward for general blasphemy and ignoring science based fact. In many cases, this shame and guilt results in the parent committing suicide and the virus then enjoys a delayed but deserved additional victim.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:47 am
If a person lies in claiming a religious exemption to the vaccine, they will get the virus and possibly die; viruses hate lies about religious exemptions because they don't believe in them in the first place; lying about them is way worse.

If a parent lies in claiming a religious exemption to the vaccine for their child, the child will get the virus and possibly die. The shame and guilt that then falls on the parent is a just reward for general blasphemy and ignoring science based fact. In many cases, this shame and guilt results in the parent committing suicide and the virus then enjoys a delayed but deserved additional victim.
That is a brilliant, mostly rational and credible response to my supernatural speculation! :-||
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I may go to one of the two or three Christian churches in my immediate vicinity tomorrow and loudly bring up this very subject and demand to know what Jesus would do. As they sat there slack jawed and paralyzed, I'd yell it out for maximum effect. "WHAT WOULD JESUS SAY ABOUT VACCINE DENIERS? GO TO HELL AND THOSE ABOUT YOU?" he'd say.I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face, though.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

bannination wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:24 am
Vrede wrote:God created capillary action and blocked the washroom drain pipe. Debate settled.
God must hate me, that explains why I have to keep a good stock of draino.
:mrgreen:
A good snake will do it too.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Go Shakers! Shaker Nation, baby.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Tennessee couple sues state after allegedly being denied foster services over Jewish faith

Elizabeth and Gabriel Rutan-Ram were trying to complete the state's mandatory foster parent certification process in order to adopt when they were denied training services, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday. The Rutan-Rams said they were hoping to adopt a young boy with a disability from Florida, but had to go through their state's foster-to-adopt certification before Florida authorities could allow them guardianship.

They were then directed by the state to Holston United Methodist Home for Children to complete their TN KEY foster-parent-training classes and home-study certifications, the lawsuit said.

A representative for Holston emailed them in January 2021 to tell them they "only provide adoption services to prospective adoptive families that share our belief system," according to the lawsuit.

After Holston refused to serve them, the Rutan-Rams continued to search for an agency that would provide the services they needed to adopt the child in Florida to whom they intended to give a loving home and family," the lawsuit said. "But they were not able to find another agency in the Knox County area that was willing to provide them the services that Tennessee required for them to be eligible to adopt an out-of-state child. "

Their lawsuit alleges that the state's funding and contracting agencies that deny services to people based on religious faith is a violation of the Tennessee constitution....

In 2020, the Tennessee General Assembly passed a law that protects taxpayer funding of faith-based foster care and adoption agencies. The measure allows agencies to continue receiving state funding even if they engage in discriminatory practices....

Holston United Methodist Home for Children filed a federal lawsuit in December over a rule imposed by the Department of Health and Human Services that prohibits discrimination to federal grant recipients....

"Vulnerable children should not lose access to Christian families who choose to become foster or adoptive parents," Williams said. "Holston Home places children with families that agree with our statement of faith, and forcing Holston Home to violate our beliefs and place children in homes that do not share our faith is wrong and contrary to a free society.”
:obscene-birdiered:
Holston United Methodist Home for Children: Contact Us

Governor Bill Lee: Contact Us
Subject: Nazi TN

Re: Tennessee couple sues state after allegedly being denied foster services over Jewish faith
https://news.yahoo.com/tennessee-couple ... 29597.html

Hitler would be proud of you. He hated Jews and disabled children just like you do.

Shame on you,
(Vrede too, RN)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:15 pm
I may go to one of the two or three Christian churches in my immediate vicinity tomorrow and loudly bring up this very subject and demand to know what Jesus would do. As they sat there slack jawed and paralyzed, I'd yell it out for maximum effect. "WHAT WOULD JESUS SAY ABOUT VACCINE DENIERS? GO TO HELL AND THOSE ABOUT YOU?" he'd say.I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face, though.
So many wingnuts, so little time.

(Mandatory) Christian revival at (public) school prompts student walkout in W.Va.

:obscene-birdiered:

(Pakistan) Faith Healer Convinced Pregnant Woman That Hammering a Nail in Her Skull Would Result in Baby Boy, Doctors Say

:wtf:

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

How petty and stupid is religion?
A Catholic priest in Arizona resigned after discovering he incorrectly performed thousands of baptisms for over 20 years

A Catholic priest based in Phoenix, Arizona, has resigned after realizing he'd been incorrectly performing baptisms for over 20 years, rendering the rite invalid for thousands of people.

As he administered the ritual, Rev. Andres Arango would say, "We baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and the Holy Spirit." However, the correct wording is "I baptize," per the Vatican's instruction, wrote Thomas J. Olmsted, Bishop of the Diocese of Phoenix, in a January 14 message.

No one, including priests, "may add, remove, or change anything in the liturgy on his own authority," Olmsted wrote, citing Vatican teachings. Olmsted added that he didn't believe Father Arango had "intentions to harm the faithful or deprive them of the grace of baptism and the sacraments."

Still, the official Diocese of Phoenix website said that Father Arango's one-word alteration means that "all of the baptisms he has performed until June 17, 2021, are presumed invalid." The diocese also called for those who believe Father Arango had incorrectly baptized them to submit their contact details to receive the proper rite....
:roll: It's fake "grace", anyhow. Just declare that it's the intent of the priest, and the baptized and/or guardians that counts in the eyes of imaginary god and write it off as an editorial "We" that's still perfectly valid. It's not like he was saying, "I baptize you in the name of Larry, Curly and Moe (the other Holy Trinity)." Who knows how many psyches and lives will be disrupted over something so silly.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So let's see - you've got an all-powerful, omnipotent being, creator of the world, who somehow tells a guy in Rome to pass along instructions to his minions on what to say to the parents of a kid they've brought to be baptised. Supposedly the purpose of the baptism is to bring the child into the Church and "free them of the original sin they were born with." And now you're saying that a one-word error, changing the meaning of the ritual not at all, can now doom the kid to Hell in a handbasket? It wasn't the kid's error, nor the parents' error. It wasn't a material error at all. Yet off the kid goes to Hell no matter what else he has done in his life? Yeppers, sounds pretty Christian to me

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:28 am
It wasn't the kid's error, nor the parents' error. It wasn't a material error at all. Yet off the kid goes to Hell no matter what else he has done in his life? Yeppers, sounds pretty Christian to me

Fundamentalist my way or the highway religion has always amused me.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Shit, if they want to get serious about it and really make a statement of faith, I recommend that baptisms be performed in a vessel containing water and several water moccasins. That way nobody would be able to question any of it. The baptism will either take or it won't. Hell, if they want to confront sin, what better way than to do it using snakes, a longstanding biblical symbol of it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:15 am
How petty and stupid is religion?
A Catholic priest in Arizona resigned after discovering he incorrectly performed thousands of baptisms for over 20 years

A Catholic priest based in Phoenix, Arizona, has resigned after realizing he'd been incorrectly performing baptisms for over 20 years, rendering the rite invalid for thousands of people.

As he administered the ritual, Rev. Andres Arango would say, "We baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and the Holy Spirit." However, the correct wording is "I baptize," per the Vatican's instruction, wrote Thomas J. Olmsted, Bishop of the Diocese of Phoenix, in a January 14 message.

No one, including priests, "may add, remove, or change anything in the liturgy on his own authority," Olmsted wrote, citing Vatican teachings. Olmsted added that he didn't believe Father Arango had "intentions to harm the faithful or deprive them of the grace of baptism and the sacraments."

Still, the official Diocese of Phoenix website said that Father Arango's one-word alteration means that "all of the baptisms he has performed until June 17, 2021, are presumed invalid." The diocese also called for those who believe Father Arango had incorrectly baptized them to submit their contact details to receive the proper rite....
:roll: It's fake "grace", anyhow. Just declare that it's the intent of the priest, and the baptized and/or guardians that counts in the eyes of imaginary god and write it off as an editorial "We" that's still perfectly valid. It's not like he was saying, "I baptize you in the name of Larry, Curly and Moe (the other Holy Trinity)." Who knows how many psyches and lives will be disrupted over something so silly.
O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:28 am
So let's see - you've got an all-powerful, omnipotent being, creator of the world, who somehow tells a guy in Rome to pass along instructions to his minions on what to say to the parents of a kid they've brought to be baptised. Supposedly the purpose of the baptism is to bring the child into the Church and "free them of the original sin they were born with." And now you're saying that a one-word error, changing the meaning of the ritual not at all, can now doom the kid to Hell in a handbasket? It wasn't the kid's error, nor the parents' error. It wasn't a material error at all. Yet off the kid goes to Hell no matter what else he has done in his life? Yeppers, sounds pretty Christian to me
Good point, any number of folks can take comfort in the fact that they were never "really" Catholic at all. It's a reprieve. :D
1312. ETTD.