Ukraine

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Ukraine

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:19 pm
I think this whole thing is going to escalate and go out of control. The money factor is starting to register on the Russians. Pretty soon they'll figure they've got nothing to lose.
Read a couple of weeks ago that the Russian economy could collapse in April.
Biden said it's shrunk by half already.

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-meet-nato- ... p_catchall
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:35 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
I think this whole thing is going to escalate and go out of control. The money factor is starting to register on the Russians. Pretty soon they'll figure they've got nothing to lose.
Read a couple of weeks ago that the Russian economy could collapse in April.
Biden said it's shrunk by half already.

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-meet-nato- ... p_catchall
Wonder how long the Komrades will stay loyal with the bread lines are a couple of blocks long.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Yeah, do Ukrainian successes make things better or worse for Ukraine and Russians in the long run?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:45 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Yeah, do Ukrainian successes make things better or worse for Ukraine and Russians in the long run?
The hundred dollar question.

Crazy Putin is a whole new ballgame.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I expect sooner or later there will be hit song, along the lines of, "Ukraine, run around my brain..."

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

For some reason... this seems to fit...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:24 pm
(goofy "Cocaine" gibberish)
Ulysses wrote:
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/biden-calls-p ... 15086.html
... "You know, with the Ukrainian people, Ukrainian people have a lot of backbone, they have a lot of guts and I'm sure you're observing it," Biden said. "And you're gonna see when you're there, and some of you have been there. You're gonna see, you're gonna see women, young people standing, standing in the middle, in front of a damn tank, just saying I'm not leaving. I'm holding my ground. They're incredible. But they take a lot of inspiration from us." ...
:shock: I suspect it's a gaffe, but you know that Putin's PR is already saying, "I told you so."
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

ICYMI:

viewtopic.php?p=162412#p162412
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:58 am
You gotta love this guy's take and the rest of his rant is equally on target.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2022/3/2 ... e-F-Around

(excellent stomp about “Ketanji Brown Jackson's Supreme Court confirmation hearing,”)
billy.pilgrim is correct about "the rest of his rant is equally on target." For example:
Remind Me Again, Mr. Putin, What Happens When We F*** Around?

Y’know, I’ve been writing these posts for five fucking years now. I’m just…I’m really, REALLY ready to live anywhere other than here, at this hellishly inescapable intersection of idiocy and indecency. Someplace with better restaurants and fewer violently angry white dudes. Access to the beach would be nice.

Anyway.

Operation: Little Man Vlad Plays War is still going exactly according to plan, assuming the intention was to ensure the world remembers Putin as the single dumbest agent of atrocity in all human history.

The Russian military continues its extremely public deterioration into an impotent pile of roughly-used kitty litter. They’re actually losing ground now, losing officers, and even warships, in addition to the, you know, thousands and thousands of troops. Still, morale seems to be holding up; incidents of Russian soldiers running over their commanders with tanks have largely remained isolated thus far.
:laughing-rolling:
Meanwhile, the West just keeps on finding new sanctions in the sofa cushions, while diligently filling Zelensky’s increasingly-specific shopping lists. Oh, and Europe is moving with impressive speed and efficiency* towards a massive decoupling from Russian energy, so I don’t think your adorable little “economy” will even qualify for the G20 in a couple weeks, but it’s certainly amusing that you imagine you can just show up at the meeting with a case of High Life, ready to dazzle Olaf Scholz with your Euphoria takes like nothing happened. Like anyone gives a shit what Dumber Hitler wants the global economy to look like.

In fairness, you’ve been a bit off your game lately, Vlad-o. Now that you’re running out of missiles, (congrats again on that sweet-ass battle plan, bro) I see the best the mighty strongman can muster is feeble whinging that he’s getting “cancelled,” like J.K. Rowling. Wallowing in mewling victimhood, like a third-rate Donald Trump. Ouch.

You’re going out like an absolute bitch, Vlad, and it’s spectacular to behold. I don’t know precisely how far out your Turturro-in-Miller’s Crossing moment is, but I’m ordering pizza that night. Incidentally, little man, superpowers don’t need to beg Belarus for battlefield bailouts.

Speaking of Lukashenko’s pathetic little puppet state, they granted asylum to fugitive January 6th terrorist Evan Neumann, because sometimes history feels the need to tie a few threads together into one great big, fucked up bow. Either to amuse us or drive us insane, I can’t figure out which....
After the Jackson hearing scathing that billy.pilgrim posted, ShowerCap also scathes and stomps:
Ron DeSantis' transphobia
Repug cruelty, fascism and intentionally harming children
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's homophobia
The Ohio Republican Senate Primary
Repug "Nebraska Congressthug Jeff Fortenberry has been convicted on three federal felony counts"
Mark Meadows’ and wife's voter fraud, and Repug silence on it
Ginni Thomas' treason
Sydney Powell’s Q-sodden ravings
A "malformed, mediocre, white nationalist god"
Sarah Palin

Whoa, I just had an outrage orgasm. I also peed a little from laughing so hard. Thanks, billy.pilgrim!

About Evan Neumann:

Evan Neumann: US Capitol riot suspect gets asylum in Belarus

:roll: :violin:
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Ulysses wrote:
I expect sooner or later there will be hit song, along the lines of, "Ukraine, run around my brain..."
I guess it would sound something like the old song, "Cocaine"... but not the well known one by Clapton. I'll have to Google it.

wait...

found it!

As sung by Dave Van Ronk... I first heard this by another singer (might have been Van Ronk) back in the early 70's (I think!)...

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

So now who's gonna write a new version about Ukraine?

Can't be Van Ronk, he died about 20 years ago at age 65.

Suggestions?

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Lyrics to "Ukraine"...

Ukraine Blues

Every time me and my baby we go uptown
Putin come in and knock me down
Ukraine run all 'round my brain

Yeah baby, come here quick
This old Ukraine 'bout to make me sick

Yonder come my baby, dressed in red
She's got a shot-gun, says she's gonna kill me dead

Early one morning, half past four
Ukraine come knocking at my door

You take Mary, I'll take Sue
Ain't no difference betwixt the two

Ukraine...

Started down Beale Street and I'm turnin' up Main
Lookin' for a gal who sells Ukraine
Well, I reached into my pocket, grabbed my poke
Note in my pocket says no more coke

Ukraine's for horses, not for men
They tell me it'll kill me but they don't say when

(Dedicated to Vladimir Putin)

The song's origin is a bit mysterious. The earliest reference I could find was Reverend Gary Davis, a blind street singer who talked the lyrics and refused to sing the melody. Van Ronk attributs the song to blues singer Hank Jordan, but that one is apparently quite different.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Hah, I make fun of your
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:50 am
Ulysses wrote:
(goofy "Cocaine" gibberish)
And you magically appear 2 days after your OP with
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:17 pm
(more goofy "Cocaine" gibberish)
Yet we're supposed to believe your incessant whines that you're not reading my posts. Busted, again. Damn, you're stupid.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:50 am
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/biden-calls-p ... 15086.html
... "You know, with the Ukrainian people, Ukrainian people have a lot of backbone, they have a lot of guts and I'm sure you're observing it," Biden said. "And you're gonna see when you're there, and some of you have been there. You're gonna see, you're gonna see women, young people standing, standing in the middle, in front of a damn tank, just saying I'm not leaving. I'm holding my ground. They're incredible. But they take a lot of inspiration from us." ...
:shock: I suspect it's a gaffe, but you know that Putin's PR is already saying, "I told you so."
Another gaffe?
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/russias-signa ... 34188.html
... "For God's sake, this man cannot remain in power,” Biden said during a visit to Warsaw, Poland, in his strongest comments to date about his desire to see Putin gone.

Shortly after the speech, a White House official speaking on the condition of anonymity said Biden was not calling for Putin to be removed from office.

“The president’s point was that Putin cannot be allowed to exercise power over his neighbors or the region," the official said. "He was not discussing Putin’s power in Russia, or regime change." ...
Opps? I'm not sure that anything good comes from directly backing Putin personally into a corner, but what do I know?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

The poorly educated are not just an American phenomenon.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:51 pm
The poorly educated are not just an American phenomenon.

It's almost as if Trumpism has gone international.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:36 am
Has Ukraine won the battle of Kyiv?

Russia says it has 'drastically' reduced military activity near Kyiv
Maybe, just maybe.

But I wouldn't trust anything that comes from the Putin propaganda ministry. It may just be code for we're about to double our efforts.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:52 am
Maybe, just maybe.

But I wouldn't trust anything that comes from the Putin propaganda ministry. It may just be code for we're about to double our efforts.
I don't trust, but:
Ukraine’s military said it had detected withdrawals around Kyiv and Chernihiv ...
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

Maybe, just maybe.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out Russia has pulled back because they're thinking about using non conventional weapons since their original plan went to shit. Besides, Putin is just as juvenile as trump with respect to being defeated or losing; he's just marginally more clever than trump. But I hope I'm wrong.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:17 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

Maybe, just maybe.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out Russia has pulled back because they're thinking about using non conventional weapons since their original plan went to shit. Besides, Putin is just as juvenile as trump with respect to being defeated or losing; he's just marginally more clever than trump. But I hope I'm wrong.
Yeah, pay lip service to a "failed settlement negotiation" and attack. Non conventional is scary and real.