Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by O Really »

Anybody but me watch the Jeopardy Masters tournament? They couldn't have scripted a better event, nor written a more dramatic ending. Great players with good distinctive personalities, good competitive/collegial atmosphere and challenging questions.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 11:21 am
Anybody but me watch the Jeopardy Masters tournament? They couldn't have scripted a better event, nor written a more dramatic ending. Great players with good distinctive personalities, good competitive/collegial atmosphere and challenging questions.
:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:52 am
GoCubsGo hit it several weeks ago noting that Yam Yam was getting improved edits. Looks from the vote that everybody in the jury pretty much had their minds made up. And, despite my not liking him very much, Yam Yam did play a very good game all round. If Heidi had lost that fire-making, she would have gone down as one of the biggest goats (not in a good way) ever - right past those who have gone home with idols in their pockets.
And handed Carson the win.

Yam Yam grew on me, I'm sure that was by design much the same as Mary Anne last year.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

:-|| :-|| :clap: :clap:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Animal Control

:lol: It's no Ghosts or BBT, but not bad for a sitcom IMO. It's kept me coming back for more episodes.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Mind bender:
The Lazarus Project

IMDb RATING 7.1/10, 4.5K voters
The Lazarus Project (TV series)

The Lazarus Project (originally titled Extinction ) is a British science fiction television series created by Joe Barton and starring Paapa Essiedu.The series premiered on 16 June 2022. In August 2022, the series was renewed for a second season.

Reception

The series has received positive reviews, for its storyline and performances. Lucy Mangan of The Guardian awarded it four stars out of five, praising the writing, tension created by the premise and cast. Nicole Vassell, writing for The Independent, gave it three stars, writing "Though a little under-explained and occasionally simplistic, The Lazarus Project has a bright concept behind it with satisfying bursts of action." The Telegraph gave it three stars (out of 5).
I'm just 2 episodes in, but I like it so far.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

That chickenshit cop who ran from the shooter at Marjory Stoneman Douglas school is on trial on Court TV. I've been watching some of that. It's always a good feeling to sit and watch court being held as I openly drink beer in court and break the law in other blatant ways. Oh, I don't have one of those new fangled two way tv sets, so they can't see what I'm doing. Checkmate, got 'em. (I stole that "checkmate" thing from Loony News Forum; there's a guy on there who regularly posts stupid and calls "checkmate" on someone else).

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really
Admiral

I'm sure there are quite a few celebrities or public figures that I wouldn't like IRL, but as long as Pat keeps his politics off the show it doesn't affect whether I watch. However, IMNVHO his performance on the show seems to have deteriorated and he's got the air of somebody just mailing in his part. A fresh replacement would be good.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

He was my favorite weatherman in Nashville.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Sajak may very well be an asshole, but I don't think Magary made that case in his article. Magary doesn't agree with Pat's politics, okfine. And he doesn't like his style. Ok. Doesn't make him any more of an asshole than Magary.

Magary may not know that the federal government holds funding as both carrot and stick to enforce compliance with regulations they couldn't otherwise enforce. Nothing wrong with declining to play if you're willing to forego the funds. IMNVHO, a school should follow at least the principles of Title IX even it weren't required, but hey, if they don't, I don't have to go there or send my kid/money there.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:32 pm
Sajak may very well be an asshole, but I don't think Magary made that case in his article. Magary doesn't agree with Pat's politics, okfine. And he doesn't like his style. Ok. Doesn't make him any more of an asshole than Magary.

Magary may not know that the federal government holds funding as both carrot and stick to enforce compliance with regulations they couldn't otherwise enforce. Nothing wrong with declining to play if you're willing to forego the funds. IMNVHO, a school should follow at least the principles of Title IX even it weren't required, but hey, if they don't, I don't have to go there or send my kid/money there.
Magary makes the case that Sajak is bland, lazy, disinterested and uncaring about contestants and viewers. Since I'm not a viewer I can accept that you two differ as to whether his on-air performance makes him an asshole, though nothing about the snippets I've watched impresses me.

I would amend your statement to: Nothing ILLEGAL with declining to play if you're willing to forego the funds. There's plenty "wrong with" it, IMO. Magary does link to an article stating that Hillsdale College declines federal funding. Being on the Board of "one of a handful of colleges in the U.S. that" is so extremely insistent on sex-based discrimination automatically makes him an asshole, I'd say.

The New Republic goes into more detail about how Sajak has traded on his WoF celebrity to be "on the front lines of advancing a right-wing agenda," stretching back decades. Asshole.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:48 am
Anyone else a fan of The Blacklist? Wow, that was the last thing I was expecting in the season finale. I wonder how they'll sort that out next season.
It was a good decade.
The Blacklist
S10.E22
Raymond Reddington: Good Night

Episode aired Jul 13, 2023
Series finale
:(
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

How about Righteous Gemstones?

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt8634332/

John Goodman and Danny McBride
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Wow, who didn't appear on this show?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:03 pm
How about Righteous Gemstones?

John Goodman and Danny McBride
Really, not one on you is watching

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:10 pm
Really, not one on you is watching

No premium channels. Sometimes, reruns show up on basic channels. I'll get back to you in a few years. :wave:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Didn't have HBO. Don't have Max.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Got it but didn't know about it.

I'll give it a look see.