Tree Hugger Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Tree Hugger Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

We are supposed to get an Aldi soon
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:35 pm
We are supposed to get an Aldi soon
O Really and I had a detailed discussion about some of its pluses and minuses last year.
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/forum/vi ... cal#p86822
It suits me as an adjunct to the Co-op, but it's not for everyone.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:11 pm
... but it's not for everyone.
True that.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

U.S. Military Is World’s Biggest Polluter

Abandoned Air Force Base in Greenland.
I started to excerpt, but the entire short article is laden with depressing and outrageous data.

:cry: :angry-cussing:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Unless there's an airplane hangar or fueling station at the top of a hill not in the frame,It took some effort to do what's shown in that photo. :naughty:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Take Action: Protect Montana’s Wild Public Lands!
Urge the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to protect wildlands in central Montana!

Plus, a lot of that waste is from the production of goods for US consumers, thus rightly belonging to us.
While Americans recycle just 35% of their municipal waste, Germany, the most efficient country, recycles 68%.

The firm estimates the US produces about 234lb (106.2kg) of plastic waste per person per year.

“The US is the only developed nation whose waste generation outstrips its ability to recycle, underscoring a shortage of political will and investment in infrastructure,” the firm said....

Globally, more than 2.1bn metric tons of municipal waste are generated each year – enough to fill 822,000 Olympic-size swimming pools, the report said. Only 16% of that waste is recycled. Humans have made 8.3bn tons of plastic since 1950....

The US has been accused of blocking international efforts to limit plastic waste, including banning single-use water bottles and plastic bags. And the country was not party to a global agreement seeking to slow the flow of poor-quality plastics to developing nations....

A truckload of plastics flows into the ocean each minute, and tiny particles of plastics are thought to be present in the bodies of most people – with their health effects unknown.

Plastics, made from petroleum, are also an increasingly significant cause of the climate crisis. By 2050, plastics could account for 20% of oil consumption and 15% of the carbon dioxide budget, according to the UN General Assembly....
:(
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

New to me - don't push them back into the water

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2019/07/ ... 681522001/

"More than 260 dolphins found stranded along the Gulf Coast since February

Baldrica said it's unclear whether the dolphins' deaths are related to the whales' deaths"
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:17 am
New to me - don't push them back into the water ...
New to me, too, thanks. I wonder what we should do if expert rescue is not immediately available.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:44 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:17 am
New to me - don't push them back into the water ...
New to me, too, thanks. I wonder what we should do if expert rescue is not immediately available.
The explanation I got from a Hugger (not a scientist, mind you) is this:
"You don't know why they are beached, so if you push them back, they could drown, since they are- duh- mammals. Somebody call for help, and you can try to help them stay safe and keep them wet. If they don't like you touching them, toss or spray or splash water on them. And keep the idiots from fucking with them and doing them harm!"
I cannot attest to the scholarly accuracy of this, but it kinda makes sense.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Boatrocker wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:37 am
"You don't know why they are beached, so if you push them back, they could drown, since they are- duh- mammals. Somebody call for help, and you can try to help them stay safe and keep them wet. If they don't like you touching them, toss or spray or splash water on them. And keep the idiots from fucking with them and doing them harm!"
I think billy.pilgrim and I have both learned that, but for how long? If expert rescue will be delayed, is there a point where we should push them back into the water because death is otherwise certain?

This pair of orcas survived until the tide returned, so 6 hours or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brt8KxjfC74
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:50 am
Boatrocker wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:37 am
I think billy.pilgrim and I have both learned that, but for how long? If expert rescue will be delayed, is there a point where we should push them back into the water because death is otherwise certain?
Still a good question. I'd like to know, too. And I bet local laws may address some aspects of this, though you can't assume they will address it to public satisfaction. We vacation very often in Holden Beach, NC, where sea turtles and their nests are vigorously protected. This means that if you are lucky enough to be on the beach at hatching time- always at night- you are forbidden from interfering, for virtually any reason. If the birds show up to feast on the hatchlings, you are not allowed to disrupt the "circle of life."
Not a perfect analogy, but . . . anyhow, I'd like to know the answer, too.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Boatrocker wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:00 am
Still a good question. I'd like to know, too. And I bet local laws may address some aspects of this, though you can't assume they will address it to public satisfaction. We vacation very often in Holden Beach, NC, where sea turtles and their nests are vigorously protected. This means that if you are lucky enough to be on the beach at hatching time- always at night- you are forbidden from interfering, for virtually any reason. If the birds show up to feast on the hatchlings, you are not allowed to disrupt the "circle of life."
Not a perfect analogy, but . . . anyhow, I'd like to know the answer, too.
I suppose one could make the case that the beached cetaceans were "meant" to die for whatever reason, thus strengthening the overall genome. That's a tough one to accept with large, smart, wild, beached mammals when it's not a matter of some predator benefiting from their deaths. Sigh, hope I never see it.

Just to be clear, I posted "large, SMART, wild, beached mammals," stupid ones don't need our help no matter what trouble they get themselves into.

Shock at couple's public sex act on busy Hove (Brighton, England) beach

:shock: :gthumb:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

The article I linked said that sometimes they beach because they are too weak to evade predators.

We can't build with lighting facing the Gulf and all new gulf front facing windows must be "turtle glass". The baby turtles depend on the light reflected off the water for direction. Some people complain that they "can't see good" through the turtle glass, but wear dark glasses when they go outside. Others like the idea of helping the baby turtles find the Gulf and like the lower electric bills.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Well, at least that guy in the photo didn't throw that one back and is just trying to keep it wet. Hope he doesn't get rocks in his mouth. Most people wouldn't realize it, but if you could view that scene from above, it would make the sign of the cross. I ask not that you agree with me; only that you think about it.
Last edited by neoplacebo on Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:50 pm
The article I linked said that sometimes they beach because they are too weak to evade predators.

We can't build with lighting facing the Gulf and all new gulf front facing windows must be "turtle glass". The baby turtles depend on the light reflected off the water for direction. Some people complain that they "can't see good" through the turtle glass, but wear dark glasses when they go outside. Others like the idea of helping the baby turtles find the Gulf and like the lower electric bills.
Yeah, I've seen numerous stories about this beaching stuff; it's been happening for quite a while, and usually in groups.....like mass suicide or something. It's weird. I guarantee Mitch McConnell wouldn't put that turtle glass in his beach house; if he did, he wouldn't be able to see out.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:07 pm
Just to be clear, I posted "large, SMART, wild, beached mammals," stupid ones don't need our help no matter what trouble they get themselves into.

Shock at couple's public sex act on busy Hove (Brighton, England) beach

:shock: :gthumb:
Um . . . yeah. Agreed on the large, intelligent cetaceans. The more I see and read and learn, the more I believe that we don't really, yet, have a good idea just how intelligent and emotional these beings are.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Translated: try to get your NC state Senator to renege on promises s/he has made to the billboard industry in exchange for large bags of money and agreement not to put billboards in the Senator's immediate neighborhood. Good luck.