Single hurricane thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Single hurricane thread

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:40 am

I would indeed question federal funds for rebuilding in any wildfire zone that burns as often as Grand Isle gets smacked by storms.
I love a beach as much as anybody, and have spent a lot of my life living within an hour or so - often within minutes - from a beach. But I don't think it's reasonable to keep putting perpetually at-risk places back together in much the same way they were. First, front and second-row beach dwellers should bear a larger proportion of the cost of living there than others in the community. F'rinstance, power lines to beachfront and nearby should be buried - and if there's an increase in cost to do that, the homeowners should pay it. Building style and materials should be built specifically to be storm-resistant. And eventually, it may be necessary to consider the area, in car-wreck terms, as a "total loss" and not try to rebuild.

Louisiana people are used to storms/hurricanes, and have had a bit of a blase attitude. But that's because it used to be that the bijous swamps, and boggy land between the ocean and the mainland protected against the worst. By the time a storm hit New Orleans or New Iberia it had been tamed down a bit. But somebody had the bright idea to "drain the swamp," and much of that protection is gone. Times and conditions change. You can't always go back to what was.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:46 am
Seems that would depend on cause and circumstances of death. If they have "reached safety" but die from the exertion of escaping or injuries received during the escape, I'd say they count.

Agreed.

If the "reach safety" but it turns out it wasn't so safe because a tree falls on them, I'd say they count.

Agreed, if the falling tree is the result of the same storm.

If they die two weeks later from pneumonia or infection, I'd say they count.

Disagree. How does one prove the storm caused it? However, storm/evacuation injuries that take two weeks to kill should count.

If they "reach safety" and get run over going back out to the open grocery store, I'd say that doesn't count. If their escape is to a place completely out of the area of disaster and they die, they probably shouldn't count.

Agreed, agreed.

There's the "but for" principle to consider in any of it. "But for" the storm, these people wouldn't have been where they got killed.

That gets shaky. Maybe they would have gotten run over by an EMS truck if they'd stayed.

"But for" the storm, they wouldn't have been out on a crowded over-packed highway getting run into by some other exhausted driver.

I consider that to be an evacuation/"in a natural disaster" death.

"But for" the storm, they wouldn't have been moved to the "safe" warehouse building, so even if they probably would have died anyway, their death in the "safe place" should count.

Died from what in the "safe" warehouse building? Do we know that care was worse in the warehouse, and that the death rate increased from the norm for the 800 nursing home residents?

"died anyway" from what?
For example, a known imminent nursing home death should not be a storm death just because of timing, whether an evacuee or not.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, it does get fuzzy. But overall, there's probably too much emphasis put on "storm deaths" anyway. Other than sympathy for the families, does it really matter if the number is 60 or 62 from the storm?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:51 pm
Yeah, it does get fuzzy. But overall, there's probably too much emphasis put on "storm deaths" anyway. Other than sympathy for the families, does it really matter if the number is 60 or 62 from the storm?
Agreed, I never had a point that I was trying to make about them.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Over all things is the heaven "chance." I think Nietzche said that. One is just as likely to be killed in a weather event whether you're going out to assist or going out to kill somebody and loot their house. The same concept applies to ones who stay and ride it out and ones who flee. Death nor chance don't care. Both are like the honey badger. it don't care and will play dead before it attacks your soft underbelly as you stand over it in victory.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:46 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:40 am

I believe that in-transit evacuation casualties are counted as "in a natural disaster", and I'm okay with that. However, I don't think they're counted once folks reach safety, and I don't think they should be.
Seems that would depend on cause and circumstances of death. If they have "reached safety" but die from the exertion of escaping or injuries received during the escape, I'd say they count. If the "reach safety" but it turns out it wasn't so safe because a tree falls on them, I'd say they count. If they die two weeks later from pneumonia or infection, I'd say they count. If they "reach safety" and get run over going back out to the open grocery store, I'd say that doesn't count. If their escape is to a place completely out of the area of disaster and they die, they probably shouldn't count. There's the "but for" principle to consider in any of it. "But for" the storm, these people wouldn't have been where they got killed. "But for" the storm, they wouldn't have been out on a crowded over-packed highway getting run into by some other exhaused driver. "But for" the storm, they wouldn't have been moved to the "safe" warehouse building, so even if they probably would have died anyway, their death in the "safe place" should count.
I think that's pretty much the way "the authorities" around here look at it.

One more - if your electricity goes out and you're safely away from the worse part if the storm, but it's raining too hard to run the generator outside, so you set it up in the spare room cause that'll shirley be okay.
Everyone dies from stupid, but they wouldn't have had to show off their stupid but for the hurricane.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:01 pm
I think that's pretty much the way "the authorities" around here look at it.

One more - if your electricity goes out and you're safely away from the worse part if the storm, but it's raining too hard to run the generator outside, so you set it up in the spare room cause that'll shirley be okay.
Everyone dies from stupid, but they wouldn't have had to show off their stupid but for the hurricane.
The LA Gov counts those as storm deaths - up to 4 a few days ago - and should.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:05 am
... There's usually a few deaths directly attributed to "riding it out", but so far none here from wind or surge.
Tropical Storm Mindy

Ignore the Henny Pennys, DON'T evacuate. ;)

There MAY be another one forming in the Gulf:
Invest 91L

A huge one will likely graze the Philippines and then slam Taiwan and China:

Super Typhoon Chanthu
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ida's Louisiana death toll rises to 26 with 11 newly reported New Orleans fatalities

Louisiana on Wednesday reported 11 more deaths attributed to Hurricane Ida, nine of them New Orleans residents 64 to 70 who suffered "excessive heat during an extended blackout" after the storm hit. The other two deaths were New Orleans residents killed by carbon monoxide poisoning. New Orleans officials said earlier this week that many elderly people were trapped in residential apartments with no electricity or air conditioning in the sweltering heat.

The 11 new victims died between Aug. 30 and Monday, but the Orleans Parish coroner just confirmed that they were tied to Ida, state officials said. Louisiana's death toll from the hurricane now stands at 26. At least 50 more people died as Ida dumped rain on the East Coast, from Virginia to New England.

Although power is now restored to most of New Orleans, about 342,000 people in the state still have no electricity, gas shortages are common, and 250,000 students in southeastern Louisiana are still unable to return to school.
Also, one of the displaced needed rescuing.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Yeah honey, it'll be just fine putting the generator in the other room long as we keep the door closed.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:52 am
Yeah honey, it'll be just fine putting the generator in the other room long as we keep the door closed.
:thumbup: On the plus side it's faster and less uncomfortable than heat stroke.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Side effect nobody outside of Louisiana thinks about: caskets floating away - long away.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/flo ... cemeteries

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:23 pm
Side effect nobody outside of Louisiana thinks about: caskets floating away - long away.

Ugh. After Hurricane Mitch in 1998 a huge concern in Honduras was the landmines, mostly near the Nicaragua border from the 1980s wars, that were being unearthed and floating away. :shock:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:

Well, hell, when you bury your caskets in ground that's below sea level and close to bodies of water, minor flooding results in religious angst. Floating caskets don't portend good tidings for the devout, or anyone else. It's like having four flat tires at the Heaven 500

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:32 pm
O Really wrote:

Well, hell, when you bury your caskets in ground that's below sea level and close to bodies of water, minor flooding results in religious angst. Floating caskets don't portend good tidings for the devout, or anyone else. It's like having four flat tires at the Heaven 500
Silver lining: It's better than when the bodies crawl out of the ground without their caskets.

Hurricane Nicholas

Wow, strengthening to a hurricane wasn't supposed to happen. Poor Houston and southern LA.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well, it's not a hurricane, but it does have a strange name. I'd never heard of a "baroclinic leaf" before, but it's a cloud formation that brought us 25-35mph howling wind and soaking rain. Wind is gone now, but the rain will stay until at least mid-afternoon. No harm done to any of the O Really gear.

https://www.king5.com/article/weather/w ... ae947f6507

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

My weatherman says wester NC got snow last night.
In other news, I got my long sleeve shirts out of storage yesterday.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:50 pm
High altitude only, not Hooterville where the high is 44 and the low 38.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:16 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:50 pm
High altitude only, not Hooterville where the high is 44 and the low 38.
It's getting pretty cold here at night lately. And dark. It's all the fault of that goddamn David Wilcox bastard. I wish I could get my hands around his throat; he'd wish for a single hurricane and that he never heard of hardware. I've started a movement against the treacherous fucker. He's doomed.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:31 pm
It's getting pretty cold here at night lately. And dark. It's all the fault of that goddamn David Wilcox bastard. I wish I could get my hands around his throat; he'd wish for a single hurricane and that he never heard of hardware. I've started a movement against the treacherous fucker. He's doomed.
Once the big box stores took over he moved to eastern TN and is working in IT. His song, Kingsport Software, was a flop.
Last edited by Vrede too on Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.